Where or When Jr. --Paint & New Tow Vehicle--update 5/17/15

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Where or When Jr. --Tongue Box Cover--update 5/20/12

Postby Helixpteron » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:09 pm

myoung wrote:...

Oh, and what is rain? Some allegedly liquid form of the ice in my G&T? Where does one find that stuff? Certainly not in the arid West.
8)

It's the stuff that makes the UK somewhat aquatic!

Lovely build, many thanks for sharing.
Helixpteron
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Where or When Jr. --New Tow Vehicle--update 5/17/15

Postby myoung » Mon May 18, 2015 12:16 am

It's been a while since I posted anything about my little trailer. Last year, we left AZ for the Central Coast of California. I finally got around to painting an accent stripe around the bottom below the diamond plate belt line. I think it makes the trailer look a bit lower.

A month ago, we replaced our Dodge Durango 5.7 liter Hemi tow vehicle with a BMW X3 xdrive 28D. That little turbocharged 2 liter engine pulls the trailer much more easily owing to 1,000 pounds less weight and especially 280 ft-lbs of torque at 1,750 rpm versus 370 ft-lbs in the Dodge but at 4,200 rpm, revs I never approached.

The 8-speed transmission of the BMW vs. the 5-speed of the Dodge probably helps too. In the Dodge I got 15-16 mpg and I expect something north of 25 mpg in the BMW. We get 34 around town and on the highway when not towing. BTW, diesel costs about 50-60 cents a gallon less than regular unleaded gasoline in CA.

Perhaps most surprising change is the minimal amount of drop at the hitch when the trailer is attached. I have a lot of weight on the tongue so that I don't need jacks in the rear. On the Dodge, the hitch dropped about 5 inches when loaded. On the BMW the drop is only 2 inches.

Looking forward to my first trip with the new combo.
Attachments
Trailer&TowVehicle.jpg
Trailer with new home and tow vehicle
Trailer&TowVehicle.jpg (216.25 KiB) Viewed 2559 times
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Re: Where or When Jr. --Paint & New Tow Vehicle--update 5/17

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:53 am

Hi, Mike! I wondered where you'd been.

The trailer looks great! As does the BMW.

We got a 2014 Durango, a V6. It also has an 8 speed transmission. We are getting about 30mpg without towing, drops to 23 -24 when towing our 1995 19ft HiLo.

Enjoy life! Hope to see you again someday.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby myoung » Mon May 18, 2015 8:06 am

Hi, Cliff,

That's terrific. I guess the answer is and always has been get a new, technologically improved car/truck every decade or so.

I was in the neighborhood back in March at the Spring Cleaning Rally at Superstition SP. Had a meeting at the Biltmore so used that as an excuse to drive rather than fly and visit friends before and after.

I'll be back...just don't know when. If you come to CA, do stop by. The PCH is in our back yard in Nipomo near Pismo Beach.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby tearjerker » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:12 am

mike , why did you choose 22 degrees for the slant in front on your build?? thanks
tearjerker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby myoung » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:49 pm

tearjerker wrote:mike , why did you choose 22 degrees for the slant in front on your build?? thanks

22.5 degrees is conveniently half of 45 degrees, but i believe that my first consideration was the angle of the linear actuator at full extension. I played with the location of th pop top hinges and the headroom over the galley too. Nothing magical, it just turned out that way.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:45 pm

:D It's good to see that you haven't forgotten us, Mike, and that all is going well for you. Yes, the trailer looks great and the new tow vehicle is gorgeous! :thumbsup:
Congratulations and welcome to sunny California!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby myoung » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:04 am

S. Heisley wrote::D It's good to see that you haven't forgotten us, Mike, and that all is going well for you. Yes, the trailer looks great and the new tow vehicle is gorgeous! :thumbsup:
Congratulations and welcome to sunny California!

Yup, back to the Coast. Now I have to find an excuse to revisit Northern CA. Any gatherings planned in the coming year?
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:09 pm

myoung wrote:
Yup, back to the Coast. Now I have to find an excuse to revisit Northern CA. Any gatherings planned in the coming year?

Not much yet. You'll want to get your IRG/Pamplin Grove registration in as soon as the date is announced in January. That one fills up fast, as it is a big favorite with everyone. One year, the registrations/reservations were completely filled up in about 14 days! It will be held sometime in July; but we have to wait for the county to hand out the scheduled dates. (I hope it's not July 4th again!)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:31 am

If you go to the IRG let me know. I Do not think I can make it this year and this maybe the last IRG. I may have something for you to deliver to Dean and Joanie.
Well Worth going to. Look in my album and you will see several years worth of IRG.
Northern and southern Ca are more active then Central Coast.

See you around the neighborhood!!

There are several builds going on in SLO county. One in SLO, one in Atascadero, maybe on in Arroyo Grande, mine in Los Osos (second build), and John who goes to my church who has a TD w/solar and shower, is talking about making a standy.

We might get another gathering going in the near future.

Liked watching your build great job. :thumbsup:
Ron
Los Osos, ca
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby myoung » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:24 pm

Ron Dickey wrote:If you go to the IRG let me know. I Do not think I can make it this year and this maybe the last IRG. I may have something for you to deliver to Dean and Joanie.
Well Worth going to. Look in my album and you will see several years worth of IRG.
Northern and southern Ca are more active then Central Coast.

See you around the neighborhood!!

There are several builds going on in SLO county. One in SLO, one in Atascadero, maybe on in Arroyo Grande, mine in Los Osos (second build), and John who goes to my church who has a TD w/solar and shower, is talking about making a standy.

We might get another gathering going in the near future.

Liked watching your build great job. :thumbsup:
Ron
Los Osos, ca

I'd be very interested in gatherings anywhere around the Central Coast. Being mostly retired, I can go just about any time.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Re:

Postby saltywalty18 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:46 pm

I am building a TTT with pop top. Mine is very heavy. What is the weight of your top? What are the sides made of? How do you hold it down when traveling on the highway? :thinking:
Chris
saltywalty18
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Re:

Postby myoung » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:36 pm

saltywalty18 wrote:I am building a TTT with pop top. Mine is very heavy. What is the weight of your top? What are the sides made of? How do you hold it down when traveling on the highway? :thinking:

All the design, construction, and materials are described in the various posts to this thread. The total weight of the trailer with about half fluids is 1,400 pounds. The sides are 5mm ply over ¾-inch by 1.5-inch poplar with closed cell foam insulation. Very light and strong. The pop top has two hinges on the rear and one linear actuator centered on the front edge. The size is 4x8 and 1.5 inches (plus 2x5mm) thick with foam insulation. When the top is closed, the weight itself holds it down with probably a small assist from the linear actuator. I never gave much thought to holding it down and its never been an issue.

Good luck.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby publife » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:16 pm

Just wanted to thank you, many years later, for doing such a great job documenting your build. I am fairly certain I'm going to incorporate some bits into my design. You and others like you have done such a great job giving future builders new options!
publife
Teardrop Inspector

Postby myoung » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:48 am

publife wrote:Just wanted to thank you, many years later, for doing such a great job documenting your build. I am fairly certain I'm going to incorporate some bits into my design. You and others like you have done such a great job giving future builders new options!

Thank you so very much for your kind words. I'm happy that I may have contributed in some small way to your learning, design, and individual creativity. Nothing we do is truly unique but is rather the culmination of all that we learn from those who have travelled the pathways before us. If we are lucky, we can add a little bit to the knowledge base. Cheers.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Previous

Return to Build Journals