Where or When Jr. --Paint & New Tow Vehicle--update 5/17/15

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby StandUpGuy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:19 am

I have really enjoyed your documentation of your build. I am hoping there will be a sewn fabric cowling page added to your build journal. One of my builds next steps. :D
Last edited by StandUpGuy on Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby myoung » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:05 am

StandUpGuy wrote:I have really enjoyed your documentation of your build. I am hoping there will be a sewn fabric cowling page added to your build journal. One of my build next steps. :D

Someday, but for now the weather and the absence of bugs makes the open-air option desirable.
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby aggie79 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:43 pm

Mike,

Congrats again on a fine TTT and documenting your build. If I build #2, it will be heavily based on your design and techniques.

Thanks again,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby myoung » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:32 pm

aggie79 wrote:If I build #2, it will be heavily based on your design and techniques.

Thanks again,
Tom

Tom, that would be a fine compliment. Thanks. When you get old and creaky like I am, you'll probably want something with a little more room to stretch.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:11 pm

Still playing catch up and WOW! Your camper is beautiful...Way to Git R Dun! :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby myoung » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:01 pm

This weekend at the Buckskin Mountain Round-up I had my first opportunity to try the fridge and water heater on A/C.

Readers of this thread my recall that I've had problems trying to cool even a few degrees with the fridge on gas. Now, I can report that the fridge works spectacularly well on A/C at least when the outside air temps range from 60 to 45 degrees.

Much to my surprise, I couldn't crack any eggs this morning for breakfast. They were all frozen!!!
:(

The thermostat has a range from 1 to 7 and I've always kept it at the max since the performance has been so poor. I've got to find the right setting for the different forms of energy now. Perhaps 5 for A/C.

The water heater seemed to work most of the time but was only luke warm on two occasions and I don't know why. I didn't have the owner's manual handy nor access to the internet, so I'll have to do some research on that one.

Always something new to learn and reconsider. I love that about these little trailers.

One last item. I had hoped to dip my kayak and canoe in the Colorado along with others at the Round-up. Unfortunately, I was the only one with a boat and I only had one paddle. I had promised my wife that I'd only go out on the river if there were others to go along as well. Perhaps another time.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby StandUpGuy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:16 pm

myoung wrote:This weekend at the Buckskin Mountain Round-up I had my first opportunity to try the fridge and water heater on A/C.

Readers of this thread my recall that I've had problems trying to cool even a few degrees with the fridge on gas. Now, I can report that the fridge works spectacularly well on A/C at least when the outside air temps range from 60 to 45 degrees.

Much to my surprise, I couldn't crack any eggs this morning for breakfast. They were all frozen!!!
:(

The thermostat has a range from 1 to 7 and I've always kept it at the max since the performance has been so poor. I've got to find the right setting for the different forms of energy now. Perhaps 5 for A/C.

The water heater seemed to work most of the time but was only luke warm on two occasions and I don't know why. I didn't have the owner's manual handy nor access to the internet, so I'll have to do some research on that one.

Always something new to learn and reconsider. I love that about these little trailers.

One last item. I had hoped to dip my kayak and canoe in the Colorado along with others at the Round-up. Unfortunately, I was the only one with a boat and I only had one paddle. I had promised my wife that I'd only go out on the river if there were others to go along as well. Perhaps another time.

Strange about the water heater. So on the times it was not hot had it been used just prior to that experience? Wondering if the hot water was used up and then simply it took a long time to heat another batch. Or is it possible you tripped a breaker?
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby myoung » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:20 pm

StandUpGuy wrote:
Strange about the water heater. So on the times it was not hot had it been used just prior to that experience? Wondering if the hot water was used up and then simply it took a long time to heat another batch. Or is it possible you tripped a breaker?

Agreed. It was strange. It was luke warm on two occasions after having been unused for several hours. The breaker never tripped; the switch was never turned off. Maybe it has to be used more often. Hmmm.

Perhaps there are some things we were never meant to know. It's just a mystery.
:)
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby emiller » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:33 pm

Sorry you did not get those beautiful boats in the water, I did bring my water shoes thinking I was going boating but just can't change the weather altough it was a great time with the surprise weather.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:52 pm

myoung wrote:
StandUpGuy wrote:

Agreed. It was strange. It was luke warm on two occasions after having been unused for several hours. The breaker never tripped; the switch was never turned off. Maybe it has to be used more often. Hmmm.

Perhaps there are some things we were never meant to know. It's just a mystery.
You have the Ariston unit right? I read on the online maual that there is a reset button. Also if the reset button is the issue then there should be no "on light".

The other thing they mention in the trouble shooting section is the potential for a "crossover" of cold water into hot. To test they say to turn off the cold supply to the heater unit and then turn on a hot sink tap. if any water comes out at all that indicates a crossover in the plumbing somehow. I am not entirely sure how that can happen but it is in the manual.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

crossover, cold into the warm water "jacket"

Postby PcHistorian » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:07 am

I can only think of one way for the crossover to occur and it wouldn't be the fault of the heater, that's only a symptom. a single point faucet valve (say the sink) that adjusts the forward flow of each temp. with the faucet shut off there may be a way for the crossfeed "behind the scenes, in the faucet" but since the pressure from both the hot and cold side are common at the cold, there should be no actual flow, hot stays hot and cold stays cold at the sink. So no crossover "flow" occurs, unless you are using hot water at some other location (shower) then the sink will cross flow and your hot water "jacket" will have lots of cold water in it. (but only up to the point where both systems connect. the hot water tank should be fine and warm, but cold will still tend to come out of the hot shower and the stronger you have the flow, the more the cold will come through. So look for a restrictor in the line to limit hot water use, say and the flow behind in a single point faucet. (that's the only way I can picture any cross over in a system that DOES deliver hot from the hot tap at least part of the time...)
Elf Cottage

Build Documentary
https://sites.google.com/site/pchistorian/home/hobby/camping/elf-build
Build Forum
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=48462
Build Album
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=42

progress is progress. (don't look a gift "progress" in the mouth.)
PcHistorian
The 300 Club

Postby myoung » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks for the suggestion.

However, my sink, which is the only place where water is used, has both a hot and a cold water faucet, so "crossover" isn't the issue.

I haven't had the opportunity to test the heater since that last outing but will again in a couple of weeks.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Re: Where or When Jr. --Freezing Eggs--update 12/4/11

Postby myoung » Sun May 20, 2012 3:51 pm

I guess a trailer that you build yourself is never really done. Today I took another step in that direction.

I had planned to cover the tongue box with the same aluminum diamond plate material (along with other interior and exterior trim to keep the theme going) but since I don't have metal working tools, I thought it better to make a cover out of wood painted to match the trailer. Here are two pics showing the nearly finished product. Simple and easy. Perhaps I'll add a spring or some such thing to hold the lid open, but there isn't much need to do that.

BTW, I had the fridge checked out by a local RV Tech shop. They pronounced it fine and within specs. Sad, because it still doesn't cool with gas. A/C is superfine and D/C is okay.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Re:

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:59 pm

myoung wrote:
bve wrote:I'm wondering what your plan is for sealing the opening for the actuator?

Me too. Stay tuned. I'm certain that the solution will reveal itself.

Hi, Mike. I looked at your actuator to try to remember how it worked and now see how it can be inside when the roof is down and outside, when the roof is up. Your implementation certainly has very good merit and people will want to know how you finished it. So, Mike, could you please post a picture of the final outcome? Did you end up using a rubber seal to keep the weather out of the hole or....?

Does the actuator run on DC power or does it need power at all?

Thanks!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Where or When Jr. --Tongue Box Cover--update 5/20/12

Postby myoung » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:01 pm

Sharon, thanks for reminding me of yet another little unfinished project. The opening is small, about 1.5 by 4.5 inches. So, today I got a 6 by 6-inch piece of rubber backing sheet from the plumbing section of Lowe's and fastened it to the roof with two screws on the leading edge. That will keep out all but a couple of raindrops, but the sink is directly beneath the slot.

Oh, and what is rain? Some allegedly liquid form of the ice in my G&T? Where does one find that stuff? Certainly not in the arid West.
8)
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals