Katbut Kamper from Florida

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Katbut Kamper from Florida

Postby katbut » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:37 pm

I introduced myself in the Newbies back in August and want to get started on a build thread. We are in the process of building a modified Grumman 2. I have found all kinds of help from the forum (plans, ideas, and good sense construction). It's unbelievable all the builders and all the answers I can get here. It's funny with all the teardrops that have been built, I have only seen one on the highway. Guess there aren't many here in Florida.

I have purchased a 4x8 trailer from Harbor Freight and I have built a 5x9 floor to put on it. As soon as I figure out how to put pictures in my posts I will include them here. As of now they are in my Album.

I am using Ultra Roof 1000 elastomeric coating for the under side but I'm thinking of putting a coat of the black stuff on top of that just to be sure of waterproofing.

I have started on the walls and will post pix later. I do have some pix on my web site.

Thanks to all for being there. I'm sure I will have questions.

Hope to meet up with some of you in the near future. Being retired you would think I would have all the time in the world but it seems like I am busier now than when I was working, but at least I am doing the things I didn't have a chance to do before. The build is off to a slow start but I WILL make it.
MORE MAJORUM
Kathy and Butch Snyder
Web Site http://web.me.com/gsnyder15
katbut
Teardrop Inspector

Welcome

Postby down under tech » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:39 pm

Welcome Butch & Kathy: I looked at your pictures and see you are on a roll with your build. The picture size is OK, not too big to add to your posts.

If you look at the top of the page there is a post (Help with photos) on how to post your pictures on your thread. Just follow the directions in it and it will get you up to speed on how to add pics. Basically you go to your album and click on the picture you want to include with your post. It will come up on another page. Copy the link in the tool bar then close that page and select "Img" in "Message Body" and right click your mouse and paste the picture in your post. Then click "Img" again and it will be shown in your post when you hit "Submit" If you hover over the "Img" button, it will show you how the entry should look like when it is done right. You can preview the post to be sure you got it right. I open two tabs on my computer and shuffle back and forth between the two pages to add pics. One is on the teardrop forum (to post a reply) and the other one is on the teardrop forum in your album. This makes it faster and easier to do it this way. Any questions, just ask...

I added your TD drawing for you. It looks great to me.

Good Luck and Enjoy your build.
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Trying a picture

Postby katbut » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:51 pm

Thanks Johnny D.
It works!!
This is a pic of the cardboard pattern for the walls.
MORE MAJORUM
Kathy and Butch Snyder
katbut
Teardrop Inspector

You Got It...

Postby down under tech » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:26 pm

See how easy that was, Butch. Now you can add more pictures any time you want to. I was going to put the picture you added, but I thought I would show your plans near the top of your post. :applause:
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby grizz » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:52 am

Grumman 2's have to be one of the prettiest shapes.

Good luck in the build.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GeoDrop » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:53 am

What size tires came with your trailer? I'm building a modified G2 as well.. Getting close to being completed.
Matthew (& Sandi)
The GeoDrop
GeoDrop
Donating Member

Postby David S » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:24 pm

Hi Butch and Kathy

I'm building off the same plan except my wheels will be outside of the body.

Here's a link to my buildhttp://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=39453&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Happy building!
David S
Donating Member

Tire Size

Postby katbut » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:37 am

N523RV wrote:What size tires came with your trailer? I'm building a modified G2 as well.. Getting close to being completed.

5.30-12 tires. I like the G2 for shape and size, but I am a long way from completion. The weather is finally cooling off down here and we are getting the camping bug. Since we normally camp in a primitive tent, the build may take longer than expected. Just not enough time in the day.
MORE MAJORUM
Kathy and Butch Snyder
katbut
Teardrop Inspector

More pictures of the build to date.

Postby katbut » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:46 am

Core of wall #1 cut out. Sept '10
Cut frame work in core.
Gluing the side skins. Exterior is red oak, interior is birch.
Installed 1/2" insulation.
Interior skin
Exterior of complete wall #1
Now on to wall #2. I have for sure learned a few things along the way. Hopefully this one will go better.
MORE MAJORUM
Kathy and Butch Snyder
katbut
Teardrop Inspector

Gluing up the second wall.

Postby katbut » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:55 am

I now realize that you cant have too many clamps and weight to glue on the skins. I am skinning both the inside and outside of the walls before installation. Will seal and varnish before installing walls to trailer.

The next few months are going to be slow for the build due to our history re-enactments (camping finally) :D
Our home away from home.

The next three weekends (3-4 days each) are tied up for sure. Have only have a couple of days during the week to work on the TD. :(
MORE MAJORUM
Kathy and Butch Snyder
katbut
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mcspin50 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:17 pm

Congrats on starting your build. Feels good to be underway, doesn't it?
Kathy, I love your spinning wheel. Is it a Rick Reeves? Are you spinning wool in FL? I think it would be a tad hot down there for that fiber. Sorry to veer off topic, but I own a fiber arts shop in MN and sell looms and wheels. Yours looks a lot like the Schacht-Reeves I have in the shop.
I'm building a Generic Benroy. Looked simple enough for my skill set. :? I do like the shape of the G2, but figured all those curves were beyond me. I was right, I found out, when cutting the few simple curves on the Benroy sides. :( Mr. Belt Sander came to my rescue tho. :thumbsup:
Good luck on your build.
Lil M.
In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir
Generic Benroy Build Journal here - My LilScamper Update Journal here
The Lily Pad...Image My LilScamper...Image Image
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:56 pm

Hi, Butch and Kathy. It looks like you are well on your way to a nice camping trailer. The G2 has a very nice profile. May you enjoy both the building process and the using of the trailer, once it is camp-able. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Katbut Kamper from Florida

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:01 pm

katbut wrote: It's funny with all the teardrops that have been built, I have only seen one on the highway. Guess there aren't many here in Florida.

Butch, there are lots of Teardrops in Florida - Pensacola, Union City, Tampa, Brandon, St. Pete, Sarasota, Orlando, Ft. Myers, Brooksville, and so on. Once you go to a gathering you'll be surprised how many there are living around you.

If your Tear will be finished by February, you should join our gathering at Silver River State Park. It's Feb. 4-6th...would love for you and Kathy to join us.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Lookfar » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:54 pm

Butch and Kathy;
I like the Grumman profile, but I too decided to go simpler. Yours is looking very good, almost makes me wish I'd built one.
On another topic, Butch did you by chance work in wholesale distribution?
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby jackdaw » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:20 pm

I've got to say I'm a big Grumman2 fan. Its a great mix of style and useable space.
I've tweeked our latest build ,loosing the flat spot on the roof, and curving the back bottom a little tighter.

Loving your build 8) 8)
jackdaw
500 Club

Next

Return to Build Journals