My first teradrop design and build. TT1

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Copper top TT

Postby Luc G » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:59 am

HI Rian

Thanks. Great looking teardrop.:thumbsup: I've already looked through your build journal and got s few ideas that I'd like to incorporate. I'm based in Hertfordshire.

When you say that you would follow Dave's lead in applying an ali skin, do you mean that ali sheet is more difficult to apply or that Dave has an easier method. I'd really like to skin mine in ali and was wondering how the seamless ali skin is achieved.:thinking:

I've just bought some LED strips to experiment with battery lighting using a solar panel I bought yesterday. On sale: 13w load panel for £49 from Maplins. I'm also designing an electric version of an evaporation cooler from easy to get bits from around the house that will be low power and hopefully run from the battery without flattening it. I'll post pictures as I go (assuming it hasn't already been done somewhere else on the site) :hammer: Just need to get started.
Luc G
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jackdaw » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:29 am

grizz wrote:PS: Not sure where in the UK you are, but I am in Rochester, Kent.

Here is a pic of the Coppertop, and a link to its thread.

http://tcgb.freeforums.org/jackdaws-coppertop-t25.html

The condensed build is on the site, mostly copied from over on tearjerkers.
We built it before this section was added to the forum (build journals) so I posted it in the UK section of Tearjerkers.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=32629

The full tearjerkers version can be found here
http://tearjerkers.net/forums/viewtopic ... 8eeedfb0a0

I think Grizz used 1.2mm ali , that came in large sheets, as apposed to 0.8 mm ali off the roll. The side do look much better done with flat sheet, but the top of a normal teardrop is probably nicer if you can do it without joins. The .8mm is much easier to dress around the sides :thumbsup:
jackdaw
500 Club

Postby grizz » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:35 am

There you go Luc, Dave just said it.

I used the 1.2mm x 1500mm x 3000mm sheet as I am very good at making up the build as I go along, so the sheet was a great guide.

I would recommend the thinner sheet any time.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

First photos of my build.

Postby Luc G » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:22 pm

Hello Everyone

Thanks Grizz and Jackdaw for your help to date. I'll certainly ask if I get stuck. I'll make sure that I read through as much of the build info on the site before though in case it's already been covered elsewhere.

:question:
I've spent the day welding on some supports for the widened floor section, reproofed the woodwork and fitted the underfloor insulation. As it was a lovely sunny 8) day I took a couple of photos, before and after shots:

Before

and after

I just hope it'll be strong enough. I cut up a piece of fencing angle iron, 1/8th by 1½" by 1½". It was a bit of a hassle as I had to use 2mm rods as 4mm rods kept blowing the fuse in the plug when the current spiked to high. Also the galvanised frame is a bit tricky to weld to but I got there in the end.

Next job is to fix the PS in place, seal the upper woodwork and stick the flooring on. Then onto the walls. I'll update with photos as and when. :applause:
Luc G
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Build Journals