Rover Returns

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Rover Returns

Postby es009d7705 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:27 pm

.Hi there, hopefully Ille get it right this time. I have completed my teardrop build and named it Rover after the sixties series The Prisoner. This picture looks like a wardrobe But with a little imagination I see a Galley and inside cupboards.
I have begun dismantling the wardrobe and saving the different components that I can use in my build.

This is the floor plan I started with but I changed it as I progressed.

This is the first plan I came up with but decided to make the back more tear shaped.

The framing is salvaged from an old nisson hut that was demolished at the foot of our hill. I managed to get enough for the floor.

Starting to clean the rust of the metal.

This is the box framing laid out on an 8x4 sheet of ply.

I have clamped my framing to the ply so that it remains square when I weld it. Note the small welder my daughter bought me as a present and it did the job.

Another view of the frame before welding.

Magnetic clamp from Aldis.

My first weld.

The corners were a bit rough.

Looking better.

Axle I found in a local scrapyard that was originally part of a double axle trailer.I stripped it down and found that sides were fine and it was just surface rust which I removed with a grinder. At £25.00I thought it was pretty reasonable.

Axle ready for grinding. The wheels were included in the price.

Cleaned up and painted it looks not bad apart from the great big dusty hand print.

The axle was a bit wider than the frame so I added a couple of bits of angle iron to support it.

Clamped ready for welding.

The ply fixed to wooden frame.

This is the cut out of the foot well inside the caravan.

This is the brackets to hold the footwell in place.

This is the footwell which I painted with liquid plastic or at least thats what it said on the tin.

Starting the sides. I know that piece of ply is there for a reason but at the moment I cant remember. All will become clear I hope.

I remembered what the ply was for. It was to draw a line that I could work my curves from. In this photo I am using an off cut as a compass. Put a screw in one end and a pencil in a predrilled hole at the other.

A jack one of four I rescued from a salvage yard for £2.50 each which do as corner steadies.

Jack welded to metal frame.

One of the sides before insulating and lining.

I used baking foil bubble wrap and wooden flooring underlay for insulation.

I used thin lining board for the inside.

Notice the corners of the windows.I found this the easiest way form the corners and it saved wood.

One side lined. I trimmed the the excess lining using a router and following the edge of the framing with one of those flush cutters with the wheel.

I had previously screwed both sides together and using a belt sander on its side sanded both edges to make sure they matched. I put some scrap pieces of wood under it to make sure I was catching both sides.

Laying the sander at right angle to the edge worked just fine.

Great stuff and free I love using stuff other people throw out.

This is an old stable type caravan door that I got of ebay. I got it for the window but managed to get the lock and the edging which I used on my doors. I was also able to use them as templates for mine.

In order to keep the jigsaw level I used a piece of timber the same thickness.

Starting the doors using the cut outs from the sides.

The door insulated ready for the 4mm ply I used on the inside.

This is the edging of the old door that I will fit to mine.

4mm ply fitted and lock temporary.

Hi Guys, thanks for looking in. I started last winter about a week before the snow after blocking of the ends of my lean to and covering the inside of the roof with bubble wrap. Once I got my small fan heater on it was quite cosy. I also rigged up a couple of halogen lights which also contributed to the heat. I took it for its first outing the last week in July before the kids went back to school. I wouldnt say it was finished completely as I have a few tweeks still to do, things that were highlighted on our trip. Anyway back to uploading my pics. This is the doors with their first coat of resin.Image

This is the first side fitted viewed from the back. Note that I formed a check so that I could fit my inside roof sheets without having to try and bend them from the inside.Image

Another view of the side with the galley lid sides cut out and the cupboard supports fitted.Image

The first inside roof sheet fitted. I glued and screwed it from the top.Image

This is the first inside roof sheet viewed from outside.Image

The cross pieces were glued an screwed.Image

Showing how the next sheet will slide in.Image

There was a slight bow in the sheet but this solved it.Image

Starting to make up cupboard doors out of old wardrobe.Image

First door fitted using the reclaimed hinges. Notice the white wood round the edge of the panel. I used a router to match up the bevel on the other edges.Image

The front cupboard doors were made from the top of the wardrobe doors.Image

The middle cupboard will be left open just in case someone buys me a small portable tv.Image

This is the check that the ply for the inside skin will fit.Image

The corner ready for sheeting.Image

The inner sheeting done and fitting the fillets for th outer sheets.Image

Foam camping mats came in handy for insulation along with the kitchen foil.Image

Have not used these sleeping mats for a few years and hopefully wont need them in the future. They were in the loft doing nothing so I put them to good use. The first of the outer sheets is on and I left an overhang so that I could trim it later.Image

The galley is started using the old wardrobe.Image

Drawers made from and fitted using slides from old chest of drawers.Image

Middle drawer was intended for cool box but later changed my mind and used it for gas bottle and battery.Image

Th cupboards above the drawers.Image

Forming the check for the galley roof which will stop water seeping in.Image

Continuing the check.Image

Last part being glued to check.Image

The first door being fitted.Image

The door hinges.Image

Trial fit of doors.Image

Looks not bad I think I will fit them properly.Image

The hatch begins.Image

The cross members are recycled from from my grandsons bunk bed.Image

The hatch frame from different angle.Image

The hatch was sheeted in 3 parts as I didnt want to buy another sheet.Image

The inside of the hatch showing the extra support for the join on the sheet.Image

After taping with fibreglass and allowing to dry I tapered the edges using a piece of glass. Remember to keep the glass flat against the ply.Image

The hatch prior to fitting. I ended up painting on top of the topcoat my neighbour gave me as I didnt like the finish. I also made the mistake of building it on the ground but you will see why later.Image

When I trial fitted the galley hatch I discovered that it was slightly wider than the the body. So I had to perform a few alterations which are shown next.Image

I removed the screws on the outside then levered the side out before tapping in some wedges.Image

A couple of wedges did the trick and I poured some Gorilla glue into the space and cut the excess of the wedges.Image

A shot of the side before windows hatch and door installed.Image

Fitting recycled piano hinge to roof hatch.Image

A couple of carpet bars an old inner tube and a bit of mastic and its sealed.Image

Left an overhang so that the water sheds clear of the sides.Image

The galley painted and varnished.Image

Fitted a rail on top shelf and changed door handles. I happened to find a load of handles in B&Q"s bargain bin and at 10p each I couldnt resist them. Ok so they are all different but I think it looks quirky.Image

Had a bit of lining board left so made a headboard. This serves a double purpose. It strengthens the wall between the cabin and the galley which is only 4mm ply and also tells us which end our heads go.Image

Inside door facings going on. My Grandsons bunk slats.Image

Top detail of inside facings[img].[img]http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=66931[/img][/img]

The facings varnished and the inside painted.Image

Fitting the windows. I got this one of an old caravan in a scrapyard for about a fiver. Some twat had broken the others trying to rip them of.Image

The rubber seal fitted.Image

The hinge and window fitted.Image

A closer view of hinge with window open.Image

A view of the large window from the inside.Image

The small windows fitted and drips in place over doors and windows. I used a piece of string to assist in the fitting of the windows. First you wrap the string round the groove in the rubber then put the end through the opening.Ask a friend to push the frame from outside while you gently pull the string from the inside and this should ease the inside flap of the rubber in to place.Image

The bottom part of the skylight.Image

The vent fitted.Image

The inside painted. Image

Corner shelves for cups reading light etc.Image

Close up of my incredible handles for 10p.Image

Another 10p handle.Image

More handles.Image

Had lots so came up with this idea for coat rack.Image

Small occasional table on back of door.Image

Catch from old caravan door.Image

Starting mudguards.Image

Kelda my dog inspecting my work. Wadayathink? Rubbish!Image

Ready for painting etc. Image
Both mudguards ready but one of them meets an untimely end.Image

Bracket for fitting tailboard.Image

The other bracket.Image

This is the almost finished article parked outside my Daughters when I called in to pick the boys up for our first trip. If you look closely you will see that the mudguard is missing. I left it lying in my drive after ripping it of trying to manoeuvre the tear out of the lean to. I had spent the morning trying to get a tyre to replace the on that I found wasnt road worthy. All in all I had a busy few days trying to get ready so that I could get the kids away before they went back to school. There were a few other things but I decided to leave them untill we came home.Image

One of the paintings on the side which was unfinished at the time of photographing. Its from the remake of the 60s series The Prisoner.Image

The Rover chasing No 6 where he cries out "I am a free man"Image

This is a copy of a picture I found on the net which had still to be finished.Image

I am a free man.Image

The good side with the mudguard.Image

Euan pretending to cook.Image

Parked at the Green Welly at Tyndrum on our way home.Image

You can still see the masking tape where I have,nt finished painting the roof.Image

Lost a bit of the chain when fitting the mudguard so I pulled it back out.Image

Some decoration in the galley and a close up of my lid supports. The are normally used for drying lines but they are great supports and adjustable.Image

The Mother Road.Image

Harley.Image

In that outfit.Image

A friend of mine turned up one day with a big roll of Lino that he managed to salvage from a school, cool!Image

Nicked these of the net and laminated them to brighten up the inside.Image
Last edited by es009d7705 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 100 times in total.
es009d7705
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jackdaw » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:09 pm

Nice one Evan :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Loving the recycling,

How long have you been at this one ? You're cracking on at a fine pace. :applause: :applause:
jackdaw
500 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:25 pm

Very nice work Evan :applause: :applause:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Return to Build Journals