The Schnoodle Shack - Final Update - Goodbye My Friend

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Shack - updated 3/19/16 - time to move on

Postby Jim Edgerly » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:10 pm

OK guys, sad day in my life here. Time to try to determine how much to sell my teardrop for. My wife and I are going to take her on her "farewell tour" this summer (30 days, 4 states, 15+ campgrounds, 1000+ miles), then sell her. I'm going to try to line up interest in it before we take our grand tour. My wife is a teacher, so our farewell tour will be end of June until end of July...then sell as soon as possible after that for somebody to have the rest of the summer/fall to enjoy before winter sets in.

I kept accurate records, and know I spent a little over $5500 for materials, plus about 400 hours. How do I determine a fair selling price...fair for me and fair for the buyer? I don't want to "give it away" and leave to much money on the table, but I'm not going to try to squeeze the last dollar either. How would you go about setting a fair asking price for the Shack?

Thanks for any input you can give me, Jim
*When doing anything, if there exists no possibility of failure, then any feeling of success is diminished.
**The glass is neither half full nor half empty...it is simply twice as big as it needs to be.
***If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
****When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.
Jim Edgerly
The 300 Club

The Shack - Build Journal to Sale - updated 6/18/16

Postby Jim Edgerly » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:03 pm

This day that I have been dreading has finally come. I put the Schnoodle Shack up for sale in the teardrops for sale section. I want to thank everybody that has followed me through my journey to get to this point and your support along the way. Maybe someday I will build another, most likely just leave it to the youngsters, but will not count out the possibility of owning another teardrop someday down the road. Some parts were easy, others I obtained solutions in here, and still others required my engineering background to solve, but in the end everything problem was solved to make a fantastic one of a kind teardrop camper. I built it like a tank and it expect it to be making fond memories long after I am dead and buried.

So from build, to a lot of great camping adventures, to eventual sale...THANK YOU ALL!
*When doing anything, if there exists no possibility of failure, then any feeling of success is diminished.
**The glass is neither half full nor half empty...it is simply twice as big as it needs to be.
****When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.
Jim Edgerly
The 300 Club

The Schnoodle Shack - Final Update - Goodbye My Friend

Postby Jim Edgerly » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:31 am

It is with mixed emotions that I report that The Shack has been sold to a new owner. She is ecstatic about her new baby and I believe she will take very good care of it. It was five years ago this fall that I completed The Shack, and what a wild ride it has been. My wife is a teacher so she had the time off, and we have been over 7000 miles, spent over 25 weeks sleeping in it at over 50 campgrounds. She is still in pristine shape, as perfect as the first day I took her on the road. I hope the new owner gets the same kind of memories out of it that we are taking away.

Almost time to sell the house and move onto a life on the water. We have a 2 year 12,000+ mile cruise in the planning stage (doing America's Great Loop, twice). I hope the fellows on the cruising web site are as kind and helping as all of you have been. After that we have plans to try living elsewhere...a year in Italy, a year in Belize, a year in Scotland...the world will be out playground, even though America will always be my home and my first love.

So, thank you to all I've met in here, and a special thank you to Tom...you know who you are.

Never stop dreaming and doing. Your life is only as rich as your dreams.
Jim Edgerly
The 300 Club

Re: The Schnoodle Shack - Final Update - Goodbye My Friend

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:06 pm

Best Wishes to you and your wife, Jim. I hope you have a blast and that retirement is everything that you wanted it to be!

:peace:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rebapuck » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:46 pm

Come back and let us know how you are doing. I'd love to hear how the onboard living is working out.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby wagondude » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:08 am

rebapuck wrote:Come back and let us know how you are doing. I'd love to hear how the onboard living is working out.

This. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Maybe a new book about your adventures at sea.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Junkboy999 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:33 am

ok so after the second loop, sell the boat and build another teardrop LOL

Hope the new owner enjoys it.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: The Schnoodle Shack - Post Sale Update

Postby Jim Edgerly » Mon May 25, 2020 8:49 pm

Well, it's been over three years since I sold my Schnoodle Shack. I had a great time building it, as you can tell from my Build Journal, and I had a great time camping in it. It taught me that I could live for extended trips (up to one month at a time) in a confined space and still survive. One summer we spent a month going over 1000 miles through New England on a single trip...loved it!

So in August of 2017 my wife Laurie and I moved to Florida with the intention of buying a yacht and taking a lengthy cruise. We bought a Mainship Trawler, 39' overall length, 14.5 foot beam, air draft 19' and made it our home that fall, and set forth early next spring on Americas Great Loop. We cruise from southern FL, up the east coast, up the Erie Canal, through Lake Ontario and into Canada. Cruised west through Lake Ontario, Trent Severn Waterway, through Lake Huron, down the length of Lake Michigan to Chicago, and down through the inland waterways until be finally arrive back in Florida, 304 days and over 6000 miles later. We lived on the yacht for 2 years and finally sold it for more than we paid for it and bought a condo.

I swear the Schnoodle Shack convinced me this was all possible. The Shack was tight living conditions, but "enough." Moved to the yacht, still "tight" by "dirt standards", but "enough." Then bought the condo that is approximately the same size as our 3 bedroom home we had lived in for 35 years. Seems HUGE after living on a boat.

Don't know what the future holds, especially with the Coronavirus and what it's doing to our country, but I have visions of a bright future. Goodbye again to the friends I made in here. I will probably drop in now and then just to see some familiar faces who gave encouragement when I needed it most.

And goodbye to Tom (again)...glad to see you are still hanging around the file. Sorry to read the Silver Bullet is not registered under your name.

Last edited by Jim Edgerly on Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Edgerly
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:54 am

Hi Jim,

What an adventure you've had! To say I'm envious would be an understatement. It is good to hear from you.

Take care my friend,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Previous

Return to Build Journals