The Schnoodle Shack - Final Update - Goodbye My Friend

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

just about done, adding to Hall of Fame

Postby Jim Edgerly » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:37 pm

Except for small stuff which will not alter the external looks of The Shack I am ready to add this to the Hall of Fame. I've only got a few coats of gloss varnish to add and some caulking so up it goes. Thank you to everybody that has followed my build journal...I appreciate all the comments given, and all the visitors. thank you, Jim

*When doing anything, if there exists no possibility of failure, then any feeling of success is diminished.
**The glass is neither half full nor half empty...it is simply twice as big as it needs to be.
***If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
****When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.
Jim Edgerly
The 300 Club

Postby Kharn » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:47 pm

It looks great; what are the metal items locking the cooler drawer?
Kharn
500 Club

door stops

Postby Jim Edgerly » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:59 pm

They are just regular door stops. Fold down to secure cooler during travel, fold up at the camp site to get out of the way.
*When doing anything, if there exists no possibility of failure, then any feeling of success is diminished.
**The glass is neither half full nor half empty...it is simply twice as big as it needs to be.
****When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.
Jim Edgerly
The 300 Club

Congratulations!

Postby Alfred » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:16 pm

Hey Jim!

Congratulations on finishing the Shack and putting her in the Hall of Fame! That is a great looking camper! The TD Class of 2011 rocks!

AL :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:49 pm

Great job. Nice looking teardrop. Enjoy using it......what will you build next?
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mezmo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Great looking TD. I especially like the "running Boards."
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jim Edgerly » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:04 am

Woodbutcher: My next project? You may find this strange, but last winter I actually wrote a book which this summer I edited during my down time from building The Shack. It's my life story of how for more than 27 years, and two wives, I worked for an organization that no one in my family knew about. Now, 10 years retired, I am letting my whole family know about my secret life. My job was not dishonorable in any way...but a real shocker to my wife and daughter. Once I incorporate all my edits...hundreds and hundreds of them, I will publish it this winter. After that I have no big projects planned...yet. But retirement gives me the time to do things I've always wanted to do.

But please don't let this post detract from your comments on The Shack!
Last edited by Jim Edgerly on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Edgerly
The 300 Club

Postby CliffinGA » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:36 pm

Congrats Jim on the Shack and the book, make sure they e-publish it also! I will definately get a copy!

Cliff :applause: :applause: :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:57 pm

`That is a sharp looking camper. I like the wood on the viewing sides and the shiny metal on the sunny sides. Nice blend.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Maiden Voyage 10/08/11

Postby Jim Edgerly » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:10 am

Maiden Voyage Report:

Took The Schnoodle Shack on it's maiden voyage over the Columbus Day weekend. Drove up to Salisbury Beach MA, 175 miles round-trip, and had a blast. Had to make some make-shift curtains out of old pillow cases at the last minute as we did not know until Friday noon that we were leaving Saturday morning. Took it out on the road for it's first road test Friday morning, and had to come back and make some slight adjustments. The hitch did not fit the ball tight enough so there was a considerable amount of "bucking" and "surging" going on, as well as terrible noises...felt horrible every time I hit a pot hole or bump. Tightening the hitch nut underneath took care of 95+% of the bucking so I called the wife and told her we were good to go. She tracks like a dream at 70mph and you almost forget that she is back there until you instinctively look back in the mirror and see the mirror filled with all aluminum. The side extension mirrors vibrate a little at highway speed, but not so much that you cannot see where the traffic is.

Packed a suitcase for the dog, threw in a few of his toys, and he was going to have the weekend of his life. He's basically an indoor dog, but loves going for walks and such. Threw him on a 20' rope at the campground and let him explore and play to his hearts content. Out on the beach he also had his extended leash (20 feet) and he ran back and forth the entire time. The wife and I walked a good mile on the beach, and the dog probably ran at least 5 miles back and forth. When we got back to the campground I threw him on his long leash and he ran over to the open car door, climbed onto the drivers seat and settled in for a nap, missed supper, and really hated going for a walk before going to bed. Slept like a baby the entire night! We figure he missed about 8 hours of napping during a normal day for him.

My wife was probably as excited as the dog about the camper. She has been waiting almost an entire year for this baby to be completed, and she said it was everything she had hoped for! Just some minor things need fixin' for the next trip. She wants "key hooks" so our keys don't fall to the bottom of the "everything bucket". She also wants a couple hooks to hold open a trash bag near the galley. After watching her throw around pancake batter in the galley I have decided an extra couple coats of varnish back there would not be a bad idea.

I gotta admit everything went as planned with the camper, and there were no surprises. The wife wants to go camping again this coming weekend, and as long as the weather will permit it's OK with me. This time of year starts getting cold in New England so I warned her we are rapidly coming up on our last good weekend for camping.

We averaged about 20mpg towing The Shack, so it cost us about 6mpg over non-camper, which was a surprise that it cost me that much mileage. We had 2 "drive by compliments" as my wife called them. A pickup truck at the campground yelled out "love your teardrop" as he drove by our site without stopping, and somebody stuck their arm out the window with a thumbs up after passing us on the highway. We had a total of 7 families stop for tours. 5 were at the campground, which we considered pretty good since the campground was nearly deserted. And 2 tours at a highway rest stop where we stopped for lunch. I pulled in next to this 40 foot RV and headed to the restroom while the wife stayed with the dog. When I came back my wife had The Shack all opened up and giving the owners of the 40 foot RV the grand tour. The guys wife high-five'd me when my wife said "this is my husband", and she high-five'd me once more as they were leaving. Everybody loved The Shack...she probably the most. Another family came over for a tour just as the big RV was leaving. Wish I took a picture of The Shack parked next to the RV...it really was hysterical. My car with The Shack was about half the length and less than half the height of the RV.

A quick pic from our maiden voyage, and the next post has more:

Last edited by Jim Edgerly on Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jim Edgerly
The 300 Club

Pics from The Schnoodle Shack Maiden Voyage

Postby Jim Edgerly » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:32 am

Family pic with The Shack - me, my wife Laurie, and my Schnoodle Wally

Wally checking out the cabin

Laurie fixing supper, her first meal using the galley

Inside the cabin. We each have our own "everything bucket" for dropping lose change, reading material, misc stuff, etc. We have our water bottle cages, hooks to hang our head lights, and that plactic thing at an angle on the bottom is for eye glasses. Since this pic was taken I have added key hooks for both of us.

Wally, incredibly tired after his l-o-n-g walk on the beach. He went to the car immediately after being tied up. Nice and warm, and comfortable, and quiet in the car. What more could he ask for. He skipped supper and decided to sleep until bed time.

Laurie fixing breakfast Monday morning. Blueberry pancakes and sausage. What more could a man ask for.

A blueberry pancake, perfectly browned...Laurie is a great camp cook!

Some nice flowers added to the table to bring a little class into the campground.

We had a GREAT Maiden Voyage!
Last edited by Jim Edgerly on Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Edgerly
The 300 Club

Postby starleen2 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:48 am

Cool trip - thanks for sharing with us ;) :thumbsup:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:17 am

congrats on you wonderful maiden voyage!
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:38 am

Jim,

There has been so many posts lately, I can't keep up and somehow missed your first outing.

What can I say? You, Laurie and Wally looked like you had a great time. I got hungry just looking at the pictures of Laurie cooking. The Shack looks even more beautiful in a camp setting than at your home.

Congrats again on your first outing.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:55 pm

Glad to hear that everything went well and, more importantly,
You All Had FUN!!! :D Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley