Swedish teardrop project â€

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Thomas Sweden » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:03 am

Thomas Sweden
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:36 am

Welcome Thomas...you need to talk to Heikki (Username "Classic Finn"). He's from Finland and has done all the research you need. Be sure and take lots of pics!!!
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Thomas Sweden » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:37 am

Thomas Sweden
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Thomas Sweden » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:40 am

I know about the guy from Finland, it is another country with diferent system, but thanx anyway :)

Gaaahhh suspension pic-look in my album, cant fix the pic.

would be nice with THE GRUMMAN 2 shape on my trailer, but I am not so handy with photoshop.

Thomas Sweden
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Classic Finn » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:06 am

[quote="Thomas Sweden"]I know about the guy from Finland, it is another country with diferent system, but thanx anyway :)

Gaaahhh suspension pic-look in my album, cant fix the pic.

Thomas here you go.

would be nice with THE GRUMMAN 2 shape on my trailer, but I am not so handy with photoshop.

Your Welcome Thomas. :lol: :lol: Another country but wth the same system in the teardrop hobby or caravans. Weight,axles and towbars and all. Unless I missed somthing along the way. :thinking: ;)
By the way Welcome to the Forum Thomas its nice to have you with us.

Välkommen till forumet

PS

It is a bit high however, What is the width and length of the trailer, meaning platform? 120cm or 150cm? Length?
Looks very different from all the ones Ive seen here and across to the States. An Idea - check with Knott, Or Al-Ko or equivalent that sells utility trailer parts. What I might suggest is use the frame and cut off the extra frame work that the axle mounts to. Possibly try to find a torsion axle. Unless you want to go with a straight axle with leaf springs? Then you are required to use shocks. But if you use the torsion axle then its not required.

That looks to be a great candidate for your teardrop plan and build.
Do you know the age of your trailer by chance? Its unique.
If you need help or have questions let me know I,ll be glad to help. ;)

The Grumman 2 is a great choice Thomas and would work on your trailer.
By the way I used to live in Huddinge. Its like coming home when I visit Sweden. Where in Sweden are you from Thomas?

There is a gentleman from Sweden here but I havent heard from him for a longtime. I,ll look for his adress and all for you. Also another good friend of the teardrop folks here is our very own Roly. He lives in California And loves to communicate in Swedish. Im sure he,ll stop in and say hello to you. :thumbsup:

Not many here from Sweden or Finland. :cry:
Last edited by Classic Finn on Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:31 am

Thomas here are 2 examples & ways we went about it here in Finland. As on our first teardrop frame.

This is our 2nd frame. With Finnish made torsion axle by colleagues of mine.

And this is the lightest of the 2 frames thus far. It weighs about 137 kilo. Tongue weight around 25 to 30 kilo.

That is a unique system you have on your trailer Thomas but Im sure with some planning it can be designed for the Teardrop :thumbsup:

If you like you are always to welcome to come visit us here in Finland to see the teardrops Ive got. And how we are doing them. Welkommen till oss med familjen. :shake hands:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Thomas Sweden » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:37 am

Hey Classic Finn, looks like a pro shop at your place, good to hear you have done som reserch about the Law :).

The trailer is built at company Gisebo in Jonkoping mid 70ties.

I will not change the trailer,it will stay the same. It is 164 cm wide and about 2,60 tall.

I will not put to much money in this project, we will se if we like it in our fammily. Lowcost trailer, medium priced plywood and some masonite and epoxy, taths all. I am sure there will be extra stuff here and there, but minimum of invest is the goal.

I will serch the forum and se if you have written about law etc .

I live in south parts of Sweden. Maked a new photo with grumann 2, se my album, looks cool.

/Thomas
Thomas Sweden
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Classic Finn » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:53 am

Thomas Sweden wrote:Hey Classic Finn, looks like a pro shop at your place, good to hear you have done som reserch about the Law :).

The trailer is built at company Gisebo in Jonkoping mid 70ties.

I will not change the trailer,it will stay the same. It is 164 cm wide and about 2,60 tall.

I will not put to much money in this project, we will se if we like it in our fammily. Lowcost trailer, medium priced plywood and some masonite and epoxy, taths all. I am sure there will be extra stuff here and there, but minimum of invest is the goal.

I will serch the forum and se if you have written about law etc .

I live in south parts of Sweden. Maked a new photo with grumann 2, se my album, looks cool.

/Thomas

Lookin Good Thomas. I thought it may be an oldie trailer. ;) Plenty of room available there. :thumbsup:
What exact Laws are you after? Weight? Height? Towing Laws in general?

Let me know and I,ll be glad to assist.

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Re: Swedish teardrop project â€

Postby angib » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:05 pm

Thomas Sweden wrote:Sadly this trailer is so high, but this is vat I got.

Welcome.

It looks like it would be fairly easy to lower your existing suspension:
- unbolt the axle from the frame;
- cut off the U-shaped brackets;
- bolt the axle to the frame itself;
- make new brackets that connect the top of the damper to the frame.

There is a square tube hanging down behind the damper that I cannot see the purpose of - is it a bump stop, so that the oily piece on the hub hits it at full travel?
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Rigsby » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:54 pm

Im with you on that one Andrew. It doesnt look to hard to loose the framing and drop the body down to the axle
Unless ive missed it, i havnt seen the width of the trailer, but with most axles of that type, they are easy to cut down the middle and widen, so the wheels sit outside the outer body sides, rather than under

Looking at the wheels, they come from the Austin/Morris /MG stable, so will be 4"pcd and easy to come by for spares/ alternative rim size. And chrome trims are available to jazz up the wheels
steve
DOOIN IT THE YAARKSHA WAY--FA NOWT, THA NUS !!
Rigsby
500 Club

Return to Build Journals