The Stand Inn

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

The Stand Inn

Postby 2bits » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:39 pm

This is a long story...

I am thinking about selling my house and moving out to about 3-5 ac in the woods and living in a 5th wheel for 2-3 years while I build a A-Frame house to retire in, but if I am going to do that kind of downgrade from my current house, it is gonna be in a top notch, top of the line 5th wheel.

Now, I know I am posting to my beloved camping forum who shuns the big RV behemoths as I do... but only when camping. I have always loved RVs of any type and living in one is a completely different ball game. I am building my little camping standy to camp in and the freakin point to this long story is that I found this cool bathroom photo and I thought it would be cool as hell to put in my campin camper...

I am thinking, BIG teardrop Shape... 6' Wide with some classy facilities. No bathroom at all. A bathroom break is one thing but trying to completely shower in freezing or hot weather is worse, so I chose the shower convenience for space. So I am thinking about this photo as what you would see walking in to the right, the little sink forward right and the brass and frosted glass shower forward left. Storage in the middle and a Full Bed turned sideways in the back. Of course the galley is outside in back so all my cooking stuff can still be stored like a teardrop.

So that is my rough draft! More to come
Last edited by 2bits on Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:24 am

:o Thomas, I admire your sense of adventure! :o
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Lookfar » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:44 am

Good idea, Thomas! I am already thinking about my next build which will be a standy (thinking "Terra Cruiser" myself).
Hadn't planned on a bathroom at all, and also want to keep the cooking outside. The shower is a great idea, though. Looks like another chance to borrow a good idea from you...
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby SonofT@B » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:46 am

Thomas, I'm confused...you said no bathroom at all and then talked about the shower. A shower in your standie? or not?

Forgive an old man's confusion...
Mike and Jackie in Atlanta
T@Bitha (2004 T@B)
Ford Ranger XLT 2003
SonofT@B
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:27 am

Thomas - have you considered a Cargo Trailer? :thinking:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby 2bits » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:00 pm

Thanks Sharon! I am learning from my camping experiences what I would like to make it more pleasant, but not to reduce the camping aspect of it too, and this fits pretty good with that I want. Let them deal with the black water, and I'll deal with the gray water.

Scott, nope I hadn't considered a cargo trailer, I think it might be too expensive to buy one, plus I like to make stuff to my own design, and I gotta have the teardrop shape and black aluminum for the "coolness" factor ;)

Mike, No worries, I can see how you could see that! I should have said no "toilet" I just think that is an ugly word LOL and since there will be no separate room for the sink and shower, there really is no bath "room", but there will be a full size shower that will open up into the main cabin, and will make it look really nice with the brass hardware I think, and it sounds like I just decided that all my trim will need to be the same color :thinking:

So basically, it is a teardrop with a shower. Here is a rough floor plan and profile I came up with. as you can see by the fine detail, this was done in CAD and perfectly to scale :lol:

The Dreamliner is a nice inspiration but slightly shorter in length and height:

Last edited by 2bits on Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:04 pm

Lookfar wrote:Good idea, Thomas! I am already thinking about my next build which will be a standy (thinking "Terra Cruiser" myself).
Hadn't planned on a bathroom at all, and also want to keep the cooking outside. The shower is a great idea, though. Looks like another chance to borrow a good idea from you...

Butch, that is a cool name!

I was thinking about a functional based name like the LT, and The Stand Up is all I have so far. I think myself and others would feel comfortable calling it that. I always try to put the name in a sentence and see if it feels good.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Lookfar » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:26 pm

I'm afraid I can't take credit for the name. It is in the Vintage Plans section, the 14' caravan. When you look at the plans, it is called the Terra Cruiser. It still has the teardrop/canned ham look, and is not a lot bigger than what I have now. Just standing head room and dinette and such.
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:10 pm

:thumbsup: And you are one step away from fully contained. You can put a toilet in the shower and do a sit or stand shower.... ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby SonofT@B » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:12 pm

OK Thomas now I understand and that makes sense. Don't think I've ever seen one with a shower and no toilet...but I like the idea especially for a guy and you can still use a porta potty if necessary. Since you have a sink outside the shower you don't need one in the "no bathroom"...cool!
Mike and Jackie in Atlanta
T@Bitha (2004 T@B)
Ford Ranger XLT 2003
SonofT@B
Donating Member

Postby Alleged User » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:15 pm

Sort of reminiscent of Airstream's Basecamp...

Sounds like quite an adventure you're about to embark upon. Will stay tuned. :thumbsup:
Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Postby 2bits » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:07 pm

In my opinion, guys just have too much equipment down there to ever be able to use a porta potty or even a regular RV style potty, but the Luggable loo has the full length lid which would work fine for me if I were rural camping or had a companion, otherwise for that kind of business the park facilities should work good for me. Yes being a guy makes it easier being able to stand up for the #1.

I forgot about that Airstream model! That looks really cool and right in line for what I am after! Thanks for posting that!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby robfisher » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:57 pm

By the title of this thread, and since it's a family forum I was expecting comedy...
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JuneBug » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:17 pm

ditto, I have a friend doing his first practice stand-up comedy routine at a club tomorrow night, so it is on my mind. :lol:
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:40 pm

Scott has a few good ones up his sleeve! :lol: I guess I shoulda put this in the Build Journals section eh!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Next

Return to Build Journals