The Stand Inn

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Redgloves » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:56 pm

The Dreamliner is a nice inspiration but slightly shorter in length and height:

That is an interesting photo.

Where can I learn more about this camper?

Jean
Geocacher, healthcare provider, mom and women with not enough common sense regarding personal safety when it comes to adventure outings!

Owner:
Uff Da Inn, a 2015 Camp Inn 560
Redgloves
The 300 Club

Postby StPatron » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:07 pm

Thomas,

Your floorplan looks very similar to my "Dumpster Diner" build, just reversed.

I decided to locate the bed/dinette towards the front and the shower/sink area towards the rear in order to gang the "utilities" along the aft bulkhead (accessed via the galley hatch). That plan provides the advantage of shorter plumbing runs and any problems I might encounter later can be easily accessed via the plumbing/wiring area.

Just something to consider.... in case you haven't already planned your plumbing/drain/water supply runs.

My profile is also very similar to your design but I opted to go for a "slouchy" vs. a full "standy". I can't remember my floor-to-ceiling height measurement now, but I'm able to stand inside by merely leaning my head forward, no bending of the back (I'm 6' 1"). Personally, I don't find it to be uncomfortable and I'm not nearly as nimble as I used to be. :lol:

When camping, once inside I will immediately sit at the dinette or at the desk area. For showering, I'll be seated. Not a lot of time spent standing in other words. I did a mock-up before I started my build, was pleased with the height and continue to be pleased even after spending hours inside working on the interior.

Anyhow.... I really enjoyed your LT build thread and am looking forward to seeing what you do with this build!
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:52 pm

Hey Gary, I thought about the front and rear choices and when I decided on the teardrop shape, that forced the shower up front since you stand in the shower and lie down to sleep so it was a natural choice. I am not going to have any water at the rear of the trailer, and will have all the hookups right in front, but thanks for the input!

FYI, I just PM'ed Madjack to reassign this thread to the Build Journals section if you are wondering where it went in a day or two!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:58 pm

When you get your stand up done, will you be selling your LT?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby StPatron » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:06 pm

2bits wrote:that forced the shower up front since you stand in the shower

Enjoy standing in the shower while you still can. I'm considering adding safety handrails to mine. :lol:

Shoulda known you had everything all figured out.
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby madprinter » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:25 pm

Been thinking along the same lines also Thomas. Problem is if shower is in thr front, your limited on your headroom by the front curve. You'd have to build tall inorder for this to work. I could add a shower to the center drop floor section of my camper, after thinking about it i think I'm going to build a colapsable shower house. Something I'm able to throw up quick and take down quick. I have a few ideas. Just have to get all the details worked out. Guess I could buy a shower tent. I'd love to see what you come up with.
madprinter
The 300 Club

Postby 2bits » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:29 pm

S. Heisley wrote:When you get your stand up done, will you be selling your LT?

Don't even talk like that!!! :shock:

Not sure I could ever sell it. I was thinking that I would use the LT for one nighters and the Standup for two or more nights :) the LT is still going to have the height and weight advantage for sure.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby mezmo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:06 am

Hey Thomas/2bits,

just throwing a name suggestion out:

"The Stand Inn"

Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 2bits » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:36 am

mezmo wrote:Hey Thomas/2bits,

just throwing a name suggestion out:

"The Stand Inn"

Norm/mezmo

WOW :D I'm thinking about the Hollywood factor too... It could be the Stand In for the LT !

DANG! Very Nice!!! SOLD! :money:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:42 am

Thomas,

I'm assuming by this being in the build thread that the project is a "go"? :thinking:

2bits wrote:Since there will be no separate room for the sink and shower, there really is no bath "room", but there will be a full size shower that will open up into the main cabin...so basically, it is a teardrop with a shower. :thinking:

My wife and I have been thinking about #2...er, uh, trailer that is. At my age, #1...not the trailer...is something that I am reminded about several times during the night. So, our #2 trailer will have a potty and we'll probably try to squeeze in a shower of some sort. I really like the layouts and styles of Donutboy's Retro-Kamper (Puffin for Four) and LesterS's Progress Before Post.

2bits wrote:Here is a rough floor plan and profile I came up with. as you can see by the fine detail, this was done in CAD and perfectly to scale :lol:

Hey, you and I have the same CAD setup! I've tried learning Sketchup and some other CAD programs, except I'm realizing I don't have the patience I used to. I guess I'll stick to redneck engineering and Kentucky windage to design my #2.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby 2bits » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:41 pm

Hey Tom, I have to get up alot during the night too. I read that Hugh Hefner does too and he doesn't have prostrate cancer, not that either of us are Playboys, it's just how it goes.

Miriam had a good idea to have a cabinet for the porta john (In my case a luggable loo) and then just sit it in the shower and the shower becomes a bathroom. I would have a vented fan in there anyway to help get rid of the steam so it could be used to get rid of smells also. So you might think about combining them, RV's have combined them forever, I just wanted that "House" looking shower for mine, and then squeeze in the potty part for that rare occasion that someone breaks out the expired tofu... :picnic:

So it is definitely a "GO" But considering that I have some major life changing things going on in implementing my 5 year plan, I may not have time or money to start on it within the next year, but since this is a big project, I would like to plan while I am fired up and start collecting things here and there for how I want to build. This won't be a plywood sided deal this time. To me that was the easy way out. My Mom has already given me the foundation, with her store bought Standy, which all I see is the frame, but hey, there it is!

My step father made a super simple T-Square that I have used immensely. I'll show it to you next time we hook up, Things aren't exactly to scale on paper but if you have a good minds eye and can measure, paper plans work great.

Don't forget to keep the pressure on for camping THIS season! Remember this is Texas and you can camp EASILY into January! It's pleasant during the day, light a fire at night when you're outside, and then turn on the heater when inside and you will never be cold! My first camping trip I wouldn't take my girlfriend the poor girl, but it was gonna be MY time, maybe you and Linda can do the same thing and make your first outing YOUR time together and no one else. Same concept, just different.

At any rate I look forward to some quiet nights in front of the fire with you guys! :lol:
Last edited by 2bits on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby doug hodder » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:05 pm

2bits wrote:Not sure I could ever sell it.

Hey...don't be so sure...you'd be surprised what you would move to achieve a new design....Ask me how, I moved 3 that I swore I never would! Have fun with a new one! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby 2bits » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:15 am

Hey Doug, As a songwriter, I can totally understand your mindset! From one new discovery and adventure to another. It's like falling in love, except you can't keep your really cool old girlfriend in the garage... Or can you now? Hmm, well the old cool trailers anyway! I am planning on building the shop now hehe.

Right now I am not emotionally ready to sell the LT and maybe never will, but I will have places to store it still plan on using it and the others. I think it would be easier to sell others I build but I don't know, I am not there yet..

What I DO know it that if I lose the desire to use them, I think it is unfair that it should not live, and at that time in my mind, I would probably give it to Kelly my best friend who taught me carpentry. He will help me build my A frame house so everyone is happy. I feel like I am in the movie "Phenomenon" now.

But regarding the present time... Selling something because you grow away from it and it is a good thing is cool. I had to sell my 74 Monte Carlo a few years ago that I restored to mint from a junkyard. I sold "Junkyard Molly" to keep my house. Then I had to sell my 71 Stepside that I built to keep my house. So I am tired of selling stuff I love and plus the LT is not manufactured by Chevrolet, it is a "Thomas Built Teardrop"!

To help ensure my livelihood, I have decided that even though I have a great house at a great price, there are better things waiting for me out East in the woods. Selling my house and moving to the country I welcome with open arms, just selling my car and truck I did not enjoy.

Since this is a new thread, and this is a transitional period in my life I am going to write this down here because I do not have a diary. I now have another 74 Monte Carlo and the stars are lining up for the rest
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby grizz » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:48 am

Thomas, all I can say is that I am jealous.

Would love to live in a simple place in a simple way.

We are OK where we are now, with front and rear boundaries onto farmland, and as long as I can find another job in the next 6 months or so, we will stay here.

Hope you will continue with a good photo essay for those of us looking in.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 2bits » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:56 pm

Thanks Rian/Mr. Grizz!

I like the way you put that, "to live in a simple place in a simple way..." You get it!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals