The Stand Inn

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby droid_ca » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:05 pm

Thomas keep up the dream I totally understand where you are comming from some days I feel as though my house is falling down around me cause I never had any influence in the design of it but in my case Im wanting to build a gypsy style varrdo I have a few ideas as to bathing and what not but I have read your last build of the LT and that thing is gorgeous I understand the idea of wanting a shower as I have gone on camping trips...back when I wast tenting it that were over a month long sure it was August but ever try camping with a bird that was its own adventure.... best of luck in your build and keep Dreaming the dream
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:59 pm

doug hodder wrote:
2bits wrote:Not sure I could ever sell it.

Hey...don't be so sure...you'd be surprised what you would move to achieve a new design....Ask me how, I moved 3 that I swore I never would! Have fun with a new one! Doug

Exactly Doug - I totally agree. Now Thomas - you're invited any time to get some "experience" for your second build by helping with mine! ;)
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby 2bits » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:07 pm

Well I would actually be excited to Scott, but I have my hands full building my latest project which is my new tow vehicle! After that I will be moving to a new place out in the country, then comes the Stand Inn!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:23 pm

madprinter wrote:Been thinking along the same lines also Thomas. Problem is if shower is in thr front, your limited on your headroom by the front curve. You'd have to build tall inorder for this to work. I could add a shower to the center drop floor section of my camper, after thinking about it i think I'm going to build a colapsable shower house. Something I'm able to throw up quick and take down quick. I have a few ideas. Just have to get all the details worked out. Guess I could buy a shower tent. I'd love to see what you come up with.

Well, I am going by the first solution: "Build it tall"... I don't want any collapsible stuff (i.e. work) I know my shape too... Teardrop. I am going to let what I want out of it dictate the dimensions. So it will be tall? That's cool, I might do a drop floor just for the shower, who knows, but remember my first post, my concept is to build around a super nice RV shower and go from there with a teardrop shape, that will give me alot of sweet galley space to work with too because of the scale. I am not going to put the shower all the way forward because as you noted, I will hit the curve of the front profile, so I will put the shower at the highest section which is still at the front and with the extra space I lose in the curve, I will put something :) :)

I Toyed with the idea of calling this the BAT-Mobile... (Big Ass Teardrop)
:lol:

I want this to be what you see when you walk in. Class...

Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby droid_ca » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:49 pm

This is going to be an awesome thread to follow can't wait to see pictures and get some more ideas
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Lookfar » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:09 pm

2bits wrote:Well I would actually be excited to Scott, but I have my hands full building my latest project which is my new tow vehicle! After that I will be moving to a new place out in the country, then comes the Stand Inn!

Do you already have your property lined up? Sounds like you are ready to move...
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:32 pm

Hey Butch, I have my area drawn out to a pretty specific area. Land is within my price range and there are a few properties I like, and the drive is doable to live out in the woods. I will probably set the plan in motion around Feb if all goes well.

I gotta finish the car and I can start the Stand Inn while I am doing all the moving stuff, although things will progress slowly, I will have more money to put into it which always helps with the time factor.

I am excited about this build too!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Lookfar » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:08 pm

This should be something to watch! Going to do a build thread on your A - Frame too?
I started my cabin one year ago this month (11/5/09), moved into in January, and it is just slightly more done than my tear. "Campable" is the word that comes to mind. And I'm retired.
Looking forward to watching the "Stand Inn" from the beginning, as I just caught the last of the LT.
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:39 am

It was good hanging out with you at hmmm was it Beaver's Bend? I think that was it. I might post a build thread of the A-Frame too since this is my family, but I'll keep it in the General section like I am doing with my car since it is not really on topic with the forum. PM me some pics of your cabin! I am interested!

I also have a cabin project... :? My projects are many... This was my grandfathers real estate business office back in the early 1970's. He passed in '77 and it fell into disrepair while sitting on their land. My Grandmother passed two years ago and I claimed it and it has been sitting in my backyard ever since. Yes, it takes up my whole back yard LOL

The roof and exterior is good except for the door opening. If I don't restore it to live in for a while, I plan on making it my wood shop and cutting the standard door opening into bay doors (Which I already have the doors to install) so I can rip 4x8 plywood through the door opening. Currently the interior has been gutted down to the studs. The floor is just the frame with a few plywood sheets laid down to store stuff on. We affectionately call it "The Little Red House".

Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby mezmo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:47 am

Hey Thomas/2bits,

Just went through the thread again and thought I'd throw out
a couple-three things that may be food for thought for you.

Is the "A Frame" your only design option or is that just representing
an ideal for a small cabin-like home? My reason for asking is that
the A Frame design is not really space/usable space efficient in and of
itself. One way to gain more usable space would be to use Gothic Arch
shaped frames/bents that you then connect with 2x sheathing horizontally.
Mother Earth News had an article years ago - I'm sure it should be
available in their archives - where the builders made their own Gothic
arch members by laminating 1x4s with glue and nails in a jig they set up
on the floor deck of the structure they were building. The curve in the
arch gives much more usable space within.

This link is only to give you a fast reference for how the arch looks:
http://www.gothicarchgreenhouses.com/

Another construction method for a very strong smaller house/cabin
is the rigid frame. Google 'rigid frame or rigid frame cabin' and you can
find a few links. I first saw this method in one of the "Shelter" books.
The APA [American Plywood Assn] used to have a booklet on the method.
It can be used for various sizes of buildings. It is supposed to be the
strongest and cheapest way to structure a wooden building for any
given interior volume. It is basically a series of bents made from 2x6es to
2x12es joined together with plywood gussets. These are spaceed 16in to
24in apart depending on the engineering on it. These are then all
rigidly secured in place together by 3/4in structural plywood sheathing.
This would be my choice for a simple modest cabin. It seems to me to be
a very straightforward and easy method that allows you vary your
insulation thickness allowance easily by your choice of 2x size.

This link has a series of really good pics a family took when they built their
rigid frame cabin over time:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/carlylehol ... 303897028/

And lastly: Concerning your Shower:
Since the 'Stand Inn'will have limited floor space. Why not build the
shower pan into the floor frame/trailer frame so that it is an inch or
two below floor level. Then have a floor panel cover it to provide
floor space when the shower is not in use and that could be hinged on
one side to be lifted up out of the way to use the shower. A solid
enclosure could be made out of polycarbonate panels that could fold back
against the wall when not in use, and fold/pull out when needed. I
would envision a waterproof panel as wall covering in the shower
area with the two side panels hinged at the wall, in their middle, and
the other end of the panels hinged to the outer movable enclosure
panel that would move in and out and from the wall always being
parallel to the wall. The entry door would be in this outer panel.
-Hope this description isn't too confusing.- I don't think this should be
overly hard to fabricate, and you may even be able to include some
commercially made enclosure pieces in it if a factory made look is a
necessity. The reason I suggest this is that I think a shower needs to
be at least 36inx36in to be useful for an adult. 36inx42in is even better.
I think something like this would be much more comfortable to use than
a typical RV shower size.

Like I said, just something to consider if they'd be of any help to you.

Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Lookfar » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:17 am

Yep, it was Beavers Bend. I even got to help you set up your hammock.

I like the "Little Red House", it should be very useful. You could always sleep in the LT, and use it for a "living room" while you build.
I've always like the looks of an A frame, though you don't get the full advantage of the space, as Mezmo mentioned. Just like the tear, build what you like. I'm sure it will be a "Stand Out". :D
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:39 am

A-frames are good if you plan them well. They're sort of like teardrops or attic rooms and apartments in that you put the cabinets and such along the edges where the low ceiling area walls are. With the high, extra roof area, you can put in a loft bedroom or something that takes advantage of the rising heat to help cut down on energy usage. There are other ways to deal with and take advantage of the attractive shape also, like small, windowed alcove bump-outs above the kitchen cabinets; or, gables on the sides, etc. You can do it and be very happy with it. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 2bits » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:36 pm

Hey Norm,

Thanks for all the good info and thoughts! The house idea is still in its infancy so I appreciate the input! If you have noticed by me at all, you probably have seen that style is very important to me. Not style to impress people but style to impress myself! I Have always loved the A frame look and that, plus the extreme ease of construction were to me equal in the choice of this design. I am a carpenter, but not a master carpenter by any stretch of the imagination, and I also want to complete the home in a reasonable amount of time. I do understand that the a-frame is not the most elegant solution for space conservation, but along Sharon's mindset, I believe I can utilize the space because storage would be a big concern with a small square footage structure.

I don't think I would consider the Rigid, just because of style concerns, but I do like the Gothic Arch alot. I will have to give that some consideration!

This is an a frame I found on one of my land finding cruises by the lake one day. It just seemed incredibly feasible to build, which appealed alot to me, not to mention I fell in love with the style:

Regarding the Stand Inn, the dropped floor shower was definitely a consideration, and seems like a very logical approach. I am going to use as many premade components as possible and keep in mind that the shower photo I posted IS an RV shower, just a nice one from a 5th wheel. I know what you mean about the standard showers and that is not what I would even consider for this build. I wouldn't worry about all the flip flop stuff trying to make panels to utilize extra space when not in use.. the shower is the shower and the shower it shall remain. It is still a camper so everything should have it's own place and to me set up should consist of hooking up the utilities, unrolling the awning unfolding my chair, and setting the cooler beside me. I don't believe in dual use items. the bed should be a REAL bed and shouldn't convert into a dinette. In my opinion, when you make one thing have two uses, you lose a little bit of quality for both. I would rather have something reserved for one use and have it be top notch.

Not to be argumentative or anything, that is just my particular bent when it comes to this build. I am not against a flip away table mind you, but a flip away shower would probably take too much away from what I want to accomplish. My photo says it all hehe but thank you very much for your constructive input!!!

:D
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:41 pm

Thank you too Butch and Sharon!

Wow Butch, now I have the Stand Up, the Stand Inn, and the Stand Out!!!

:thinking:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby StPatron » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:12 pm

Well,,, I think you need to build a dome. :lol:

Just kiddin ya, Thomas. Well,, kinda. Check out ferro-cement dome home construction if you haven't already, lotza websites. Or, more conventional dome construction also. Conventional offers many advantages, including being able to build each unit prior to your "barn raising" and just think of the acoustics! A music lover, like yourself, would really enjoy it.

If your heart's still set on an A-frame, I say go for it. What's NOT to like about the looks of that A-frame in your pic! I've been a fan of them for yrs. and once had your same dream. I even ordered plans which I'll share with you if you're interested. Send me a PM if so. My only suggestion would be, get it built now while you're young. Then, throw away your ladder. Old men and ladders don't mix. :lol:
StPatron
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals