Steel Raindrop Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby 16vvincent » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:39 am

Thanks Sharon, it is getting there. I am actually looking forward to skinning her. Hopefully I will start before the New Year.
16vvincent
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:02 am

I just read your build thread. Good work, very good.

For my build I used the rear axle and springs from a VW Rabbit pickup. I don't know the year as it had been pulled and at a guys place. He gave it to me. He tried to give me a 2nd set but I didn't want to be greedy. I also used a VW Rabbit car jack for one of my stabilizer jacks. I sure wished i could find a bunch more, they go up and down real fast and are plenty strong for most teardrops.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GuyllFyre » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:14 am

Wolffarmer wrote:I also used a VW Rabbit car jack for one of my stabilizer jacks. I sure wished i could find a bunch more, they go up and down real fast and are plenty strong for most teardrops.
Randy

We call those jacks "widowmakers" as they're useless for jacking up a car and having it remain up and stable.

The older ones with the Rabbit had all metal screw parts, they still included it with the newer versions but had plastic parts.

You should be able to find dozens of these at scrapyards. Everyone throws them out because they're dangerous to use to actually change your tire.
Things I have for sale on craigslist:
http://albany.craigslist.org/search/?ar ... catAbb=sss

Things I have for sale on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/merchant/seansmith
GuyllFyre
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:26 am

Around here I have found no Rabbits in the junk yards. They seem to crush them rather quickly. I just happen to get this one from a Rabbit that was abandoned at the place I use to have.

I agree they are not a great jack for changing tires ( but better than the old bumper jacks, shudder ) But as one end is bolted to the tear they work pretty good for that.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GuyllFyre » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:29 am

Wolffarmer wrote:Around here I have found no Rabbits in the junk yards. They seem to crush them rather quickly.

Look for Rabbit, Jetta, Cabriolet, and Golf from 1976 to 1998. All MKI, MKII, and MKIII models came with a version of this jack.
Things I have for sale on craigslist:
http://albany.craigslist.org/search/?ar ... catAbb=sss

Things I have for sale on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/merchant/seansmith
GuyllFyre
Donating Member

Postby 16vvincent » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:52 am

Wolfframer:
The Rabbit pickup was available in this country from 1980 to 1984 and the rear axle was the same in all of them. Sadly that axle is a little too narrow for this trailer. But I am using the leafs from a Rabbit Pickup for the suspension (as well as a set a air bags for load assist).

The jacks that you are talking about are exactly what I intend to use for stabilizing the Raindrop and as Guyllfrye mentioned, they are all over the place in most wrecking yards. Also look in the Scirocco and Fox VW's for the jacks. Pretty much everything that VW made from 76 to 98 uses that jack. Guyllfrye is also correct in that using that jack to change a tire is not a pleasing experience.
16vvincent
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DasBaldGuy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:11 pm

I think all of us VW guys see the widowmaker as a perfect corner stabilizer....I personally have 4 VW Fox widomakers in my garage ready and waiting. ;-)

I wish I knew I'd be into these trailers a few years ago as I have thrown away more widowmakers than I can count....

8)
DasBaldGuy
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:58 pm

Thanks GuyllFyre

Have to make a run through some of the local yards now I know which cars to look for. Any Audi's use that jack?

When i used my VW axle I had to widen it a bit. I put a inch thick iron spacer between the stub axle and the axle tube with longer bolts. If you know that axle you will know what I mean. Just use the best bolts you can find.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wanna Be » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:22 pm

Have you had any time to do more work on this project?
Interesting, as I am thinking along these same lines of build with steel.
Only thing is I want mine to be more along of the "classic" TD lines.
Thanks, Wanna Be ;)
This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.
~Elmer Davis

"Well, if you can't believe what you read in a comic book, what can you believe?" ~ Bullwinkle J. Moose

Also I am a professional spelling butcher.. I don't carry a dictionary and my spell check is broke!!
Wanna Be
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Build Journals