Benroy style Woodie. My first build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Ken's Teardrop » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:28 am

I don't have a lot of pictures of when I first started my build about 6 months ago, so I will probably have to describe some of the early steps.
I got a trailer from Harbor Freight, and originally decided that I would build a 48 x 96 Benroy style Woodie. I got the frameworkk done and laid a piece of plywood on the floor and had my wife come out to make sure there was enough room. Well we decided to go 5 foot wide and I added another 2x2 floor joist system that brought the bed up another 1 1/2", which actually brought the floor of the Tear up past the wheel wells.
I decided I would build up the walls using 1/4" Mahogany plywood, 1x2 frames and 1/8" luan plywood for the interior. I laid out all of the plywood as it would fit together on the trailer. I put some small nails in about 4 places, and then I marked and cut out all of the pieces at the same time. I also did the same thing with the doors. All of the pieces came out exactly the same.
I cut the bottom of the interior plywood 1 1/2" shorter than the exterior piece, so that the wall formed a rabbit joint at the floor.
I assembled the walls on a large table in my garage, filling the voids with rigid foam insulation, and gluing everything together with Titebond III and using 12 24packs of water to apply pressure to the wall system until dry, along with all the clamps I had.
I attached the completed wall assemblies to the trailer floor and added the 2x2 spars, which surprisingly straightened everything up. I glued and screwed the spars in place.
I then cut and assembled the inside skin to the spars using a sealant that we use to install windows. It stays pliable, put is very strong and has a 50 year warranty. I applied pressure to the inside using some lumber that I pried into place. I then framed out the fan opening and cut away the inside.
From here on out I have pictures that are in my gallery, if you are interested. I added a couple of interior shoe boxes that I though might come in handy.
Thanks for reading this and feel free to make comments. One thing I have learned reading this forum for the last 8 months is there are as many ways to build a Teardrop as there are Teardrop builders.
" There are as many ways to build a Teardrop as there are Teardrop Builders. Create Your Own."
Ken's Teardrop
Teardrop Builder

Postby jimqpublic » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:26 am

Looking good! I like the layout, and lightweight design.

Greetings from Long Beach. I post a lot here but haven't built a trailer yet. I've been getting serious about starting and I'm currently stuck on interior wood choice. One thought was to go with contrasting wood for the walls and cabinetry. What drove your choice for wall, cabinet, & trim?
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby nevadatear » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:50 am

Welcome! Always nice to SEE another woody build. Pics please! Can't wait to see!
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Benroy style Woody, My first build

Postby Ken's Teardrop » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:56 pm

I always liked the richness of mahogany for the exterior, and I am going to trim it in a lighter color, probably birch or something similar. For the cabinetry I liked the contrast of the dark exterior and the birch panel inserts. Looks a little richer. I also used black formica for the counters and tables, to help them look richer.
For the interior I choose the Luan because it darkens a little with the application of the finish, but it doesn't get too dark, which I think would make the Teardrop too dark. I also used the same color scheme on the interior cabinets to lighten the interior, but still add some contrast with the trim.
I am going to skin the top with Aluminum, which should add a nice contrast and help the Teardrop to last longer.

Thanks for your post.
" There are as many ways to build a Teardrop as there are Teardrop Builders. Create Your Own."
Ken's Teardrop
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ken's Teardrop » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:15 pm

Debbie and Randy
There are some pictures in my gallery. I don't know why it is not showing up. Maybe it takes a while to get set up. You can access it through my profile.

Your Teardrop is beautiful! I like the Kenskill shape. Maybe that's what I will do next. I'm still not sure. I have a lot of friends that want me to build them one, so I guess that will depend on what I can talk them into.

Is there anything that you would change on it now that you have been using it for awhile. I know I have been through countless redesigns during my build.
Ken's Teardrop
Teardrop Builder

Postby nevadatear » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:53 pm

Only two things, really. One would be to have included the tongue box in the original design. We always knew we would have one, but didn't include it in the original plan. So when we added it, the tongue was too short and it changed the balance, now we are tongue heavy. Mostly because of the added steel my husband had to put on the tongue to extend it. The balance was perfect before, now it is tongue heavy. Second would be not to have cut half my thumb off! So my major recommendation is always know where your fingers/thumb are, you can never be too careful even if you have worked around power tools all your life, as I have. Since the accident I have had at least 25 people tell me about their own or family member/friends loss of digits. :oops: :cry:

Whoops, one other change. Not enough running lights on the sides. We only have ones on the upper front and the tail lights. We will be adding another set of side lights back by the tail lights. You want to be seen at night.
Last edited by nevadatear on Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:54 pm

Ken,

You've done a wonderful job on your teardrop. The Benroy design is a classic and your woody interpretation of it is superb!

I had to hunt around, but found your gallery. Until the "button" appears, I hope you don't mind me posting a few of your pictures:

Your gallery is stunning.

The integrated wine rack and removable cutting board are fantastic!

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby nevadatear » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:59 pm

WOW that is one gor-geous build! Certainly way too late for any of my recommendations, and you don't need them! That is a beauty. I sure hope we can see it in person in near future! Amazing! :thumbsup: :DOH2:
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:46 pm

Amazing!!! Absolutely gorgeous.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:00 pm

Very, very nice, with lots of personally-thought up ideas to make it truly your own! Good Job! :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Ken's Teardrop » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:18 pm

Debbie and Randy,

Well I guess I'm going to make it 26. I was driving a Glass truck back in the 70's and I was making a delivery to Chino Glass. There was a guy that worked there that had a bandage on his hand because he had lost a finger. I asked him what happened, and he went to a saw that was running and said " All I did was this" and he lost another finger.

I am always a little scared of routers, because I got bit by one a long time ago.

Have a great day.

Ken & Kay
Ken's Teardrop
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ken's Teardrop » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:17 pm

Tom,

I was wondering if you could explain to me how to get my pictures to show up in the body of my message. I would really apreciate it. I have never contributed to a forum before, but I would like to post more, and throw in my 2 cents wherever I can.

Your build is AWSOME!! :D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks

Ken & Kay
Ken's Teardrop
Teardrop Builder

Postby nevadatear » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Ken, check out the link at the top of page on the menu that says "help with photos" but in brief, bring up your photo in your album, copy the address url, copy it and paste it in your message, highlight it, and then click the "img" button at the top of the message menu. This puts a "img" in brackets and /img at the beginning and end of each photo. This is what makes the pics show up in your message.

As least I know I will never make the cut of finger mistake you refer to, as I plan on never using the radial arm saw again. I can live with out it, leaving that up to my husband!

Debbie[/img]
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ken's Teardrop » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:49 am

S. Heisley wrote:Very, very nice, with lots of personally-thought up ideas to make it truly your own! Good Job! :thumbsup: :applause:

Thanks for your kind words. I am trying to make it my own. I can't wait to go camping in it. I have already slept in it overnight and it is really comfortable.

Ken & Kay
Ken's Teardrop
Teardrop Builder

Re: Benroy style Woodie. My first build

Postby aggie79 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:38 am

Ken's Teardrop wrote:Tom,

I was wondering if you could explain to me how to get my pictures to show up in the body of my message. I would really apreciate it. I have never contributed to a forum before, but I would like to post more, and throw in my 2 cents wherever I can.

Your build is AWSOME!! :D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks

Ken & Kay

Ken,

We're in the same boat. This is my first forum too, and posting pictures through me for a loop too.

The first step in posting a picture is to open the picture and copy the link. This is the link to a picture of your wine cabinet -

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... de41271910

After this there are two ways of making the picture "appear." The first way is to type [img]at%20the%20beginning%20of%20the%20link%20and[/img] at the back of the link. It will look like below only do not put in the spaces.

The other way is to add the picture link, then select (I click on the link three times with the left mouse button), and then click on the button just below the subject line that is box with Img inside of it.

Either way should get you this:

If you want to, you can reply to this message and see what the picture link with tabs looks like.

Take care and keep those pictures coming.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Build Journals