Ians first build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby ian.allen2 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:41 am

[quote="CliffinGA"]Ian looks good and thanks for the tip on the cut off pieces, thats going to help me this weekend on mine if the rain holds off.

Cliff[/quote

I was going to make a 'square' to keep the sides square but I remembered the cut-off corners. I screwed them together at the bottom where they overlap and the sides kept them in place as there was a slight pinch. I hope you get to building this weekend and hope the weather holds for you.
ian.allen2
Teardrop Builder

Postby ian.allen2 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:46 am

[quote="tsmiley23"]Hi Ian,

I was glad to read this: The thing now though, I have changed my mind about the chassis and it is now on ebay and I am buying a caravan chassis complete with brakes. :twisted:

That old trailer had me a bit worried and you obviously have the skill to build a really nice unit on the right frame. Good luck and enjoy your build, I will!!! :D[/quote

I am really enjoying this build. Vert theraputic, and time flies.
The chassis just seemed to be getting less and less every time I put the angle grinder to it, so I had to do something. I think a braked trailer will be better for the body as I think the finished weight will need them if I want to stop at lights and junctions. Stronger chassis = safer towing and happier camping :thumbsup:
ian.allen2
Teardrop Builder

Postby ian.allen2 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:52 am

LDK wrote:I really like the profile you're going with.

Thanks Larry ( & Becky). I was thinking I had chose the wrong shape as the curves carry on to under the front and back, wishing I had theft the bottom corners on. The profile is the one I have dreamt of since wanting to build one ( for the past 3 years). The profile is staying now as I cant get any more cheap ply to make sides with the corners on. I think the 'oval' shape ( or egg shape) is more traditional. teardrop shape. But that might just be me. :o
ian.allen2
Teardrop Builder

Postby ian.allen2 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:06 am

I forgot to say, I have done the spars for the hatch.
I cut these out with a jigsaw after making a template of the hatch area profile onto wallpaper then cut one piece and screwed it to the side of the body and routed it with a flush trim bit and then drew round it on more ply and cut them out and routered them all flush them clamped them all together and gave a light sanding to make sure they are all flush. I will finish the hatch frame when I get some more wood.
ian.allen2
Teardrop Builder

Postby LDK » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:19 pm

ian.allen2 wrote:I forgot to say, I have done the spars for the hatch.
I cut these out with a jigsaw after making a template of the hatch area profile onto wallpaper then cut one piece and screwed it to the side of the body and routed it with a flush trim bit and then drew round it on more ply and cut them out and routered them all flush them clamped them all together and gave a light sanding to make sure they are all flush. I will finish the hatch frame when I get some more wood.

looks kinda like mine. :lol:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby ian.allen2 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:08 am

Snap :D
ian.allen2
Teardrop Builder

Postby Deryk the Pirate » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:55 am

lol insane minds think alike! :twisted:
Build Thread lil vardo 1: http://tinyurl.com/baqe6py
Build Thread lil vardo 2: http://tinyurl.com/b3rwffm
Deryk the Pirate
500 Club

Postby ian.allen2 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:22 pm

Got chassis number 2. A lot better.
The first thing I done to it was cut the back down and weld the rear cross member back on. I will raise the body and paint the chassis soon.

The wheels stick out abit but some wide wheel arches / mudguards will sor that.
I have serviced the hitch. Took it all apart and cleaned it and re-greased everything. It works free and easy now. The jockey wheel has been changed as the one in the pic is not much good and squeeks like mad.
The chassis rails are a little wider than the body but I will put a skirting around the base and it will be bolted to the frame through the cross members.
Better suspension, with brakes = smoother ride and better stopping. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
ian.allen2
Teardrop Builder

Postby ian.allen2 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:23 am

Done a bit more today. I put the spars on

Fitted the cross sections on the hatch and fitted a couple of temporary hinges

And cut out the shapes for the mudguards / wheel arches
ian.allen2
Teardrop Builder

Postby ian.allen2 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:02 pm

Hi Steve. Thanks. I will look them up and see if they deliver to Leicester. If not, I will ask a mate to collect a couple of sheets in his lorry when he is passing. Never know when that is though.

I have just checked on the first arch I made. it has all stook together and is quite strong and not flexing. I have placed it on the van to see how it looks. Not too bad. I have to clean it up and paint it.
and a view from the back to seethe width
These will have marker lights on the tops. Might also put the triangle reflectors on them.
ian.allen2
Teardrop Builder

Postby ian.allen2 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:50 am

I have just hung the door temporarily to see the fit. Not too bad. 6ft piano hinge under £5 from local hardware shop. I have cut the hinge in half and still dont know wether to cut out a door on the other side. If I do, I have the hinge already. Only a few screws holding it at the mo.
I have made a new 'stronger' hatch frame. Cantg wait to put the outer skin on.
ian.allen2
Teardrop Builder

Postby ian.allen2 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:23 am

Redone the hatch. Went to my mates and he gave me some wood. I have put the spars in the hatch and also started on the galley.

I have to get some thinner ply for the back of the galley and for the front of the cupboard in the cabin. I have a door to use on the cupboard and will make the surround to fit it.
ian.allen2
Teardrop Builder

Postby CliffinGA » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Nice Ian, thats one of the first hatches I've seen on here where the supports are run horizontally across. Your moving along quickly!

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ian.allen2 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks Cliff. I have a thread on another forum and the first hatch I had done was too weak. i was told that I needed a rib downwards and soneone else said if I done the frame with a straight bottom than I would not need to have so many downward ribs. I re-made it with 3 ribs and was told I didnt need the centre rib, just more cross struts. So I re-made the hatch again and I am happy with the strength of it now. It is glued and screwed good and tight. I can now screw the ply to the down ribs as well as the cross pieces as it is all real wood instead of plywood like the first ribs. Cant wait to put the roof on, but I have a lot of sanding down to do first to get the walls smooth ready for painting.
Ian
ian.allen2
Teardrop Builder

Postby ian.allen2 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:04 am

UPDATE.
Not far to go now. I have now fitted the roof lining in and just about finished the galley walls. I have also made a box for the front of the td. It needs sanding, filling and painting.

The box isnt fixed in place yet. That will happen after the outer skin goes on and painted.
Not too far to go now before it is completed :twisted: :twisted:
ian.allen2
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals