Gorilla Glue!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Gorilla Glue!

Postby eamarquardt » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:29 pm

I had a need to glue some stringers in some six panel, bypass, closet doors that had bowed and would no longer bypass each other.

I wanted something really good and thought I'd try "Gorilla Glue" as I'd never tried it before. Was a bit pricey but I thought: "What the heck, Suzy can afford it (it's all her money)".

Anyway I glued the stringers on one of the doors, clamped em up pretty good, and trotted back over to my rental house to continue the repairs.

When I came back I found the glue had "foamed up" and oozed out from under the stringer indicating that all the voids between the door skin and stringer were filled with foamy glue. I LIKE IT!. I've heard about what a mess the stuff can make and that cleaning up is a bear so GG is not for all applications but I really liked the way it perfomed in this case and will look for more uses for it consistent with the potential mess it can make.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Facemeltingly Epic » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:33 am

I've found that if you can get to it easily, a belt sander will take off the excess fairly quickly. And in tight quarters I've cleaned it up with an angle grinder. 8)
Scot

My build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=42585

Not enough photos there? Try here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... c3e73ca184

Or here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... cf567dd7b7

"Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often, and for the same reason." - Mark Twain
Facemeltingly Epic
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:03 am

...here is what I do about the "foam"...I keep a solvent soaked rag handy and about 15min after glue up, when the foam is really cooking and still soft, I clean it up with that solvent soaked rag...much easier than trying to clean up the dried and set excess foam...with Gorilla Glue, always use the least amount possible as this will minimize the foam "squish out".......
madjack 8)
p.s. do not rely on the foam to fill a sloppy joint...it will be weak, a premium urethane builders adhesive would be a better choice to take care of that sloppy joint...........mj
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:00 am

As none of this work shows, as it is on the backside of a sliding closet door, I wasn't concerned about the appearance of the work. Both surfaces were flat and clean but the plywood "stringers" did have a few "defects" that I'm sure were filled in. Unless you're using epoxy with a filler (microballoons or cabosil) glue isn't a reliable "filler".

The original factory stringers were metal and the glue the factory used eventually broke loose from them but was still attached well to the masonite door skin. This fix, I'm sure, will outlast me!

I was careful to keep my pinkies out of the glue although a bit did get on a clamp two but as these clamps were temporary (used just to hold a temporary backing board on before I applied the clamps to hold the stringer, door skin, and temporary backing board together) so I just wiped them off with a paper towel while the glue was still wet.

I just thought the "foam" was kind of cool (like "little scrubbing bubbles") and had never seen this type of glue in action before.

Thx,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Return to Build Journals