Reading Style Gypsy Vardo

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Reading Style Gypsy Vardo

Postby Kursac » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:33 am

Well I made the 1st step in starting my Reading Vardo. I purchased the trailer this past weekend that will be the rolling base. I will be using a VW Beetle as a tow vehicle. I was originally considering a teardrop design but in my research found that the Gypsy Vardoes reflected more of my Flamboyant personality as well as my taste in what I want out of my traveling rig.
The trailer has a load footprint of 4'x7' & because the tow vehicle is a VW Beetle I have wt concerns. Because it is a Vardo aerodynamics is not something I am even going to concern myself with for obvious reasons.

I will be building on a slide in camper design so I can still use the trailer as a trailer. I am going to replace the tung with a longer one & add Y braces then weld it all together. I will also go up to a 2" trailer ball. With a base footprint of 4'x7' I will be able to work with living space dimensions of 6'x8' and standing height of just under 6' in the center incorporating the Reading Style wagon design.

Overall wt will be a factor so I am going with an uninsulated single wall construction with an external skeleton that can be used as decorative features consistent with a Reading Vardo. The interior will feature Tapestries, Curtains & Valences along with an Electric Fireplace for heat and atmosphere. The space will be small and cozy but large enough to put a bed sideways in the nose with 4' of space in front of the bed.

Thumbnail is click able.
I have thoughts
Charlie
Kursac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Deryk the Pirate » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:59 am

Sounds Awesome Charlie!

My build is pretty similar. Im doing a 5x9 bolted to my HF 4x8 trailer. I decided to not be totally traditional and went with a door on the side because I felt the loss of limited storage space wasnt worth it for a door on the end. I havent started my interior yet... need the roof on and door and windows in first. There is going to be a counter top with storage below to hide a porta pottie in the front. To the rear there is going to be shelves from about 2 feet up (the back window is for slideing a 5000 btu ac in till I can afford a petcool air conditioner)

Im guessing your tow weight is probably similar to my 1000lbs. What are your build plans? The Paulownia wood I used is real light and strong and the tongue and groove wood looks traditional.

Cant wait to see more of your build!

Best of Luck
Deryk
Build Thread lil vardo 1: http://tinyurl.com/baqe6py
Build Thread lil vardo 2: http://tinyurl.com/b3rwffm
Deryk the Pirate
500 Club

Postby Kursac » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:46 am

Thanks I did look at your build actually. I myself am going for a more traditional look. I am going with an external skeleton with a very thin skin to keep the wt down. I want to able to use the exoskeleton for color variety & design. Ironically I was a sign painter when I was a young man so I am very skilled with a quill & paint. I would like it to come in around a 1000 lbs complected and ready for travel. (Wet as they say in the camper world) AC would be nice but again I am going for something traditional. No TV no AC. Just a bed, bench, cupboards, some draws for cloths. Curtains and cloth wall hangings and the electric fireplace. It is about atmosphere for me.
I have thoughts
Charlie
Kursac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby caseydog » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:15 pm

CatoosaGrani and Papa Gene have a nice Gypsy Vardo...

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Kursac » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:28 pm

Yes they do thank you. I did see this in my research, I had gone through the entire build thread.

I did finally get all the wiring set up in the bug so that I now have trailer lights. VW doesn't make it easy
I have thoughts
Charlie
Kursac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:56 pm

Hi Timber_8,

I didn't realize you were hanging out here! Welcome to the forum!

I'll be watching your build! ;)

Mikey
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Kursac » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:44 pm

Yes I'm back, I have a couple of other projects going too so this one might take a while. I do have an official start anyway
I have thoughts
Charlie
Kursac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:06 pm

Charlie,

Nice to see someone with an artistic flare take on the task of a traditional looking yet lightweight highway capable Reading. I spent many hours doing the research you have mentioned above. My Little Gypsy was more like my old sailboat cabin than a Vardo inside. I aspire to someday build another Vardo, perhaps I will be able to look to you for inspiration. :thumbsup:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Kursac » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:44 am

Thank you Steve, I read up on your build last year when I 1st began looking into tiny campers. When I traded away one of my pickups for my bug I wanted something to compliment the unique design, shape & history of the beetle. I was quite an air cooled enthusiast back in the day but this is my 1st New Beetle.

That all said I was originally considering a teardrop, I am thinking now of building Reading Vardo for several reasons. I think 1st and foremost that it will reflect my personality & showcase my artistic skills best. It will offer a larger space to work in while on adventure. I also think the atmosphere in such a design will truly allow me to stop the technological world and get off. To leave my Blackberry & computer off & retire to a book by fire and read under a gas lamp in a place somewhere out of time appeals to me.
I have thoughts
Charlie
Kursac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:12 am

Charlie,

I look forward to your build. I really like the unique vardo designs that I've seen.

Kursac wrote:I also think the atmosphere in such a design will truly allow me to stop the technological world and get off. To leave my Blackberry & computer off & retire to a book by fire and read under a gas lamp in a place somewhere out of time appeals to me.

It seems more difficult than ever to get away from technology. Used to be there was no cell coverage outside of town. Now there is mobile phone coverage in many remote areas. Then there was no internet access, but now many Texas, Oklahoma and Louisianna state parks have wifi - arghh. I guess I'm going to either leave the smartphone at home or turn it off completely.

Please forgive my ramblings and post lots of pictures of your build.

Take care, Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Kursac » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:04 pm

Well this weekend I will have some time to start with blueprints. I'm old school with drafting. I sit down with scales, triangles, and squares. I'm not a CAD guy simply because I don't have a real need for it.
I have thoughts
Charlie
Kursac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kursac » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:57 am

I am looking at the these van images & I am thinking that my construction will be more of a Ledge van than a Reading van or actually a combination of the two. I love the Reading van shape wider at the top than at the base. Because of the trailer I am using & the fact that it will be a slide the base will be that of the Ledge design. I also want to incorporate the trolly top feature that appears to be consistent with both styles.

What I an looking to create is a functional piece of art. It never occurred to me until I joined this forum to create one of these Gypsy Vardoe's. What I am looking forward to most is the decorative paint job that will complete the vision of what I have in mind. In these days of computers & smart phones I find the appeal of such a project & what it represents very inviting.

So the journey begins

I have thoughts
Charlie
Kursac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:31 am

What is the maximum towing capacity of the beetle? The trailer you intend to use must be fairly heavy already. I am just a little concerned about your being able to pull it. Maybe you could put about 600 lbs of weight in your trailer now and see if you can pull it on the hiway. :thinking:
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kursac » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:11 am

The trailer weighs 350 lbs empty as you see it. all my research says the car can pull 2000 lbs, oddly in Europe the same car can pull 3500 lbs. The hitch is rated for 2000 lbs with a 200 lb tong rating. I am shooting for a 1000 lbs overall wt. Your suggestion is a good one. Since I am in the paper industry it will be very easy for me to do. 20 cartons of computer paper is 1000 lbs. I will throw that in the trailer this week and take it for a run down the highway & see how she handles the wt. The empty trailer has no impact on the car at all. The overall wt is only 1 factor, I am more concerned with center of gravity. The aerodynamics of this type of design might also have an impact on the wt at highway speed.

The car has a 2.5 five cylinder engine and a 6 speed tiptronc automatic transmission. I have the ability to shift manually as well as letting the car shift in performance mode automatically.
I have thoughts
Charlie
Kursac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:28 pm

The VW tows better than I guessed. It is a deceptive vehicle.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Build Journals