New NorCal Teardrop build - 062711 update, maiden voyage

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

New NorCal Teardrop build - 062711 update, maiden voyage

Postby rdelmendo » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:35 pm

Hi all-

I finally got around to resizing and uploading pics so it's time to stop lurking and post my build. I purchased the trailer from a guy in Las Vegas. He and his son welded the entire trailer with 2900# axle and clad it in aluminum. They were good welders but the finish on the aluminum and trim are horrid. I'll have to deal with that some day...

Front view buried in the garage

I have very limited wood working skills but do weld. I have a Millermatic 140 which is a great little welder. With welding, I had to build in situ rather than building the cabinets first and the trailer around that.

This is a view from the rear with the first couple of 1" cross members to support the galley.

The natural galley counter top height was too high, so I dropped the barn doors and sink area to 37"

Left side frame

The cabin is pretty spartan. No A/C, heat, TV, DVD, etc. Single shelf in the front holds two reading lights.

Rear shelves

Keeping with the spartan theme, a very simple 12volt system includes; 110Ah battery, LED lighting, 12v power for Kooltron cooler under galley, stereo, Sunforce 30 Amp charge controller (planning on either 135w panel or 2x 80w panels) and Cobra 2500w power inverter. I almost never plan to use the inverter but wanted the ability to run a microwave or power tools if needed...

Since the barn doors extend 12" into the trailer, I had to account for some swing room. This is a view of the galley doors closed.

The right side of the galley will be for cooking. The door swings 180 to hold the stove. A 16x24" table attaches to the side of the trailer for the BBQ. Here the drawers are open.

There is still a lot of work to do. I have to seal the underside, cover the cabin walls with 1/8" birch, roof with hull liner, install the solar panel(s), tongue box...

Current view 04/26/2011

Thanks again for all the great information on this forum. I've learned a lot from some very, very talented folks. Looking forward to getting this on the road for some camping this Summer.

Cheers,

Ron
Last edited by rdelmendo on Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rdelmendo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:34 pm

Wow, great job Ron. You have a beautiful trailer there. Very nicely done! :applause:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:50 pm

Like the way your barn doors work. I've been thinking of doing something similar on my build. I'm going to borrow those ideas!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Corky Update 5/1/11

Postby rdelmendo » Mon May 02, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi All-

Made some progress this past week. Finished insulating and cutting birch paneling for the galley.
Need to figure out what to mount on the slider under the sink to hold the fire extinguisher and what not.

Also, tried to seal the bottom. I tried to spray on the undercoating using rattle cans. It works ok but the coverage is not what I'd like. I have some more on order then will hand paint over with Rustoleum paint. The frame welded under the trailer holds one of the holding tanks.

Got the hull liner on Friday and will install that next weekend...

Cheers,

Ron
rdelmendo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Mon May 02, 2011 12:40 pm

Ron, you're doing a beautiful job on that trailer. The galley is awsome! Thanks for sharing your build pictures and story. :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jdarkoregon » Tue May 03, 2011 1:24 am

Holy Cow!!!
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue May 03, 2011 5:50 am

Looks great.
:D
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Build update 050911

Postby rdelmendo » Tue May 10, 2011 1:43 am

Hi all-

Did not have a lot of time to work on the TD over Mother's Day weekend. But did manage to put in some time.

The plan was to use birch paneling on the walls and hull liner on the ceiling. In approaching the walls, I really wish I had discovered this site 6 months ago. I would have insulated and paneled the walls then added modular cabinets and shelves. Since I did it the opposite way and had already put in the cabin shelf and cabinet, I had to cut the paneling into several pieces, like a jigsaw puzzle and then glue the pieces in place.
Luckily, I had lots of wood scrapes to use as shims to let the liquid nails set. I'm going to see what it looks like after both walls are done. If the gaps are too big, I'll just put hull liner over it.

Also noticed another oops; I had insulated and paneled the galley walls a couple of weeks ago. Today, UPS delivered the license plate light that was an easy 5 min install when the rear side marker light wire was exposed. I'm going to install the light but not wire it until I get pulled over by our friendly CHPs...

Cheers,

Ron
rdelmendo
Teardrop Inspector

Solar panel arrives

Postby rdelmendo » Sun May 15, 2011 3:52 pm

Hi all-

The PV panel from AZ Wind & Sun arrived on Friday. I went with the Kyocera 135W. It's beautiful. I can't wait for it to see some sun...
I've been searching and reading past posts about PVC ground mounts vs. fixed mounts on the TD. I'm a little leery of leaving the panel on the ground when we're at the lake/hike/kayak, so I'm going to mount it on top.

Finished gluing the birch paneling on the sides this week. Need to sand a bit then varnish.
Once I figure out the panel mounts, I'll install the hull liner on the ceiling. Next week...

Cheers,

Ron
rdelmendo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rdelmendo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:56 pm

The push to finish the TD is on as my better half has reserved some camping in 2 weeks!

I wrapped some quilt filler around the edge of the front shelf and then covered with hull liner to soften the inevitable head boink.

Also used hull liner as a header on the bed.

Finally, hull liner on the ceiling. And a bed!

The cabin is basically done, except for some trim around the fan and doors.

Now to finish the galley...

Cheers,

Ron
rdelmendo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rdelmendo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:10 pm

Took the trailer out for it's maiden voyage and shakedown.
Trailer towed well and set up was pretty easy. Will get easier as we figure out the system.
Cooking was easy although I need to make some adjustments to the galley.
Grilled wild salmon, grilled sweet potatoes and caprese salad.

Cheers,

Ron
rdelmendo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:16 pm

Looks great!....and a nice touch with the perforated materials. Kinda has an industrial and like you say "spartan" look! Very well done. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Return to Build Journals