Starting my Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Starting my Trailer

Postby AlStAubin » Mon May 16, 2011 12:55 pm

Well I have a trailer that I will start with. It is a little bigger then planned but it was free. I also have the option of trading it for a red folding trailer for the same price free!! This one is 7'5"lx6'5"w. The floor will be pulled up this weekend to see if the trailer is going to work for me or if I am going to trade. Will this size be too heavy? Tow vehicle will be a Jeep Liberty.

Keep on smiling, makes people wonder what you've been up to!!
AlStAubin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Papi » Mon May 16, 2011 2:03 pm

Should be good. I've towed larger than that with a 4 banger Ford Ranger.
I dream of a day when a chicken can cross the road without having his motives questioned.
Papi
Teardrop Master

Postby Jst83 » Mon May 16, 2011 5:47 pm

I think you should be fine also mines 6'6" x 11'6" on a pop up frame and we pull with a mini van, just don't do like me I built a rolling tank, build light I think if I was to stat over I could carve 700+ lbs off mine, but it still pulls great with almost 5,000 miles on it.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby AlStAubin » Mon May 16, 2011 6:37 pm

Thanks for the info yes I am going as light as possible. trailer getting strippd Wednesday/Thursday pics to come and decision if I am swapping to the 4X8
AlStAubin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby AlStAubin » Sat May 21, 2011 6:55 pm

Got delayed on strippin the trailer because of a week of rain and I have to work outside. Was able to look over the trailer today and decided this one will be it. 4x8 is just to small for me and wife. After looking at the frame I will be doing some welding to reinforce it but bones are there. Side rails are 2x2 angle with a cross member in front of and back of the axle. Axle sits towards the rear and think it will be in a good position. Issue is that there is no cross support at the fron ar back of the angle out side frame. Also the tongue is bolted to the frame in front of the axle and once I remove the wood no other suppport for it. Time to go find some steel. :thinking:
AlStAubin
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Build Journals