Breezy's first build- update 10-10-11

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Breezy's first build- update 10-10-11

Postby Breezy13 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:40 am

My build started a couple of months ago, and I'm finally getting around to documenting it. Haven't taken many pics yet, but hoping this will motivate me.

Bought the HF 2K lbs trailer, extended it to 9ft by using the cross members on the sides, plenty strong. The tear will have a foot print of 9 x 5, but over all 11 x 5 (counting the nose an tail). Used 2x3s for the deck frame, attached them with locktite and a Kreg tool. The 2 1/2 inch deck screws worked great, love the Kreg tool. I'm in the process of completing my drop down floor at the moment, its about 10 inches deep. Two coats of RAKA epoxy to cake that baby, then had to re-drill the Kreg holes. The RAKA UV inhibited epoxy soaks in like mad, felt it strengthened the wood well enough for a foot well.

I used the sandwich build on the walls, 1/4" plywood on the inside and out, with 23/32" ply for the center. Cut out quite a bit for insulation, then glued up and pressed together with heavy rocks(wife's parents owned a rock shop). I didn't get very good 1/4" ply for the sides and ended up seeing lots of blue streaks and blotches in it so i'm painting the outside black. After a couple coats of epoxy the wood looks good enough for the inside. The wife will be gone next week so I'll give it some primer and enamel with out the ire of my better half.

I haven't screwed the deck to the wooden frame or the trailer yet so this weekend will be dedicated to that. Just need to find a flat enough surface, the trailer seems to have developed a slight sag.... its always something.

This Tear is meant to be a 2+2, we only have one kid now, but hopefully another on the way soon. My deadline is before the second one pops out.

Will post some pics soon.

Breezy
Last edited by Breezy13 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Breezy13
Teardrop Builder

Postby aggie79 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Hi Breezy,

Congrats on the start of your build. Sounds like you are well on your way. Of course, you know what that means.

:pictures: We need pictures.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Breezy13 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:31 pm

Thanks Tom, I'll be working on that tonight when I get home!!
Breezy13
Teardrop Builder

Pics so far

Postby Breezy13 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:21 am

This first pic is pretty bad, took it with my phone, but it gives you an idea of the construction method.

This is after the walls have been build and the first layer of RAKA epoxy.
Notice the wires sticking out, switches for the outside light, and two inside will be controlled from here.

Two layers of epoxy for the foot well, re-drilled the Kreg holes and dry fitted it. I have a buddy with a welder that i might have help me support this on the underside. But it will be epoxied and screwed to the 2x3 framing of the deck. This should give me some space to place the table/bed support, and still be flush with the deck.

The door and wheel well cut out.

Slowly moving along, forgot we were backpacking this weekend, so very little TD work, but the wife and kid will be gone most of next week to visit family. This will give me the chance to stink up the garage with some tractor enamel.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Breezy
Last edited by Breezy13 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Breezy13
Teardrop Builder

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:30 am

It looks like you've got some pretty wood! Are you going to leave it a "woody"?
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:29 am

That wood looks great! Really like the "swoop" you used for the wheel cutouts!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Breezy13 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:49 am

I'm going to leave the inside a woody, but if you look close at the wood, it has dark blue knots or something in it, don't like it so i'm going to paint the outside.

I like your paint job Zac, trying to think if I want a design or just a single color...hmmmmm.
Breezy13
Teardrop Builder

Update 8-29-11

Postby Breezy13 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:38 am

The TD build has been put on the back burner while my wife comes up with all kinds of activities to impede my progress. I've had an hour here and there to do a few things but nothing big.

The foot well has been finished and screwed in to the deck, wasn't a perfect fit, but made it look good. Just glad it holds some weight!!

Put on the first coating of primer for one outside wall, the brush strokes left in the finish made me realize I'm going to have to use something like a small roller to get the finish I want.

On a side note; I thought 3 gallons of epoxy would be more than enough. I'm down to a little more than a gallon after two coats on just about everything so far, hope I'll have enough for the roof.....

Breezy
Breezy13
Teardrop Builder

Postby kinto » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:16 pm

wow! you weren't kidding about the kreg jig! you went to town on that floor box! :shock:

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

if i'm remembering correctly, i think the user manual thing recommended every 6 inches or so(?)

looking great so far though! :applause:

kent
:)
Is a hippopotamus just a really cool opotamus?

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby Breezy13 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:52 pm

I've got a lot of screws to use up.....found a special on E-bay. Think the over-build bug got me, that foot well also has 3 coats of epoxy....

Told the wife its going to last forever.

You're making me look bad with all your progress, hope the build keeps going smoothly!

Breezy
Breezy13
Teardrop Builder

Postby campmaster-k » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:04 pm

Looks great so far. I like the profile.

If I might offer a tad bit of wisdom on the black paint. Black paint gets real hot in the sun. Its cooks the wood and itself. It will shorten the life of your finish work and may make your trailer a steamy place to be on sunny days. The look of black paint is rich, no doubt. And if you store your tear inside and camp when its cool then no problem. Good luck.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby Breezy13 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:58 pm

Appreciate the advice, but we camp mostly in Colorado, its been warm this summer, but we also don't plan on hanging out in it unless its raining. The wife and I just couldn't agree on any other color, so black it is. And if I play my cards right I'll be able to keep it in the garage.....wife's sister has a bad habit of keeping EVERYTHING, took a month for her to clear out stuff so I could start the build. Also just purchased a ceiling vent with a fan...just in case.

Breezy
Breezy13
Teardrop Builder

Postby Breezy13 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:20 am

Put the black goop on the bottom of the deck last night, what a mess. Stuff likes to stick around, if you know what I mean. Had a paint brush I ruined with epoxy, used that to spread the goop out and get all the corners, seems to have a life of its own, had it all over me..... Oh well, its done!! Then we're leaving for Glacier National Park, hope we don't get snowed on!!!

Breezy
Breezy13
Teardrop Builder

Postby CliffinGA » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:48 am

Looking good breezy, what kind of paint are you using?

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Breezy13 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:09 am

Hey Cliff, thanks.

I found some tractor paint at JAX, can't remember the brand name, but it was a step below automotive paint. I figure if it can hold up on a tractor being outside all the time, it should hold up on my TD.

Hope you get to work on yours during the long weekend!

Breezy
Breezy13
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Build Journals