Telecaster? Stratocaster? My build 8-16-11

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Telecaster? Stratocaster? My build 8-16-11

Postby switterstx » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:08 pm

So I started this thing in 2008. Since then I am proud pappa to a nearly 3 year old daughter and a son on the way in December. I've also moved since then and by the end of this month this trailer, a rental truck and all my family are moving to Portland, Oregon. Quite a deadline and since there is no rain here I'm hoping it will be well sealed.

This is an original design, hand built metal frame. Everything except the axel and the metal for the actual fender I built. Welded with a little mig cracker box from HomeDepot or somesuch. I'm proud of that part. It has been really hard. The one thing I didn't think about was the difference between dimensional lumber and tubing. Tubing is 1" if it is called out as 1". Wood is 3/4" if it is called out as 1", 23/32" if it is called 3/4" etc. But a friend has helped me with all the cabinetry and I think we are on track to finish by the end of the month.

Updated with annotations on pictures.

Here are some picts in build order:
All the angle for the main frame was donated by my dad. L3x3x1/4 with heavy dipped galvanizing. Not the best stuff to work with but should last forever. What Dad didn't mention was that they all had about a 1.5" camber over 10'. Which had to be "worked" out. That's why there is a heavy chain across the corners in this shot.

I bent the side profile by working the tubing around a jig I cut out of 3/4" plywood.

The downside is I ruined about 3 pipe clamps getting it done.

Cabin frame nearly done.

main cabin frame done with bottom steel attached. I did this by myself and I gotta say, wrestling that into shape without ruining the sheet metal was a hassle

Main frame with axle installed. It is movable incase the weight distribution needs to be tweaked later.

Wiring installed, licensed, and subfloor installed.

Interior was 1/4" nominal luan. I think it was actually labeled 5mm? I ruined 3 pieces getting that curved bit in. Two were ruined in a thunderstorm before I got to the garage, another just due to me rushing the bend.

Random picture of interior framing. The piece in the foreground is the front edge of foot locker, middle piece is for wall between kitchen and bed. Far back is back edge of kitchen cabinet.

Fender! I did the painting with a couple of cans of rustoleum and some tape!

A buddy works for a company that builds sets, tradeshow booths and all kinds of cool stuff. I needed space, he was willing to help. Thank goodness!

Interior foot locker/kid bed on top.

Kitchen with counter down,

Hatch down, I'm working on tightening the license plate light.

-----------------
Updated pictures
I've found that spray in expanding insulation is a pain to cut down when it expands beyond what you need. We spent an hour or two having to sand down my "boogers" where the foam expanded more than we wanted. Even with a hot knife it wasn't easy going.

The skin is galvanized steel. For cost and availability it was the best I could do. Because the frame is steel I was afraid of galvanic corrosion between the aluminum and steel. The only fix would have been to install VHB barrier tape between the frame and skin. That would have brought the skin cost to something like 1500 with the bent trim I used. Here's how it worked out:

If you are cutting any type of thin gauge steel (thinner than 20ga) I'd recommend a nibbler. From Harbor Freight they are only about $30 and made short order of cutting out these shapes. Kerf is wide, about 1/8" but the edge wasn't razor sharp like a pair of shears would do.

This is one of the sides cut. There is that one narrow bit that worried us but it all ended up being just fine with enough hands.

admiring our work and discussing the strategy for the roof. We only had one shot at this. There weren't any extra pieces and HD doesn't carry stuff like this.

After all the work (we were in the shop till 1am) this is what it looked like the next day. I have to keep reminding myself that the glossy, shiny finish won't last.

Reverse glamor shot.
Last edited by switterstx on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
switterstx
Teardrop Advisor

Postby StandUpGuy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:20 pm

How about "BurtLancaster"?

Looking like you will make it. Nice job of construction.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby copout » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:03 am

I would have thought it was more of a Gretsch Silver Falcon - hollow body!!!! :lol:
Veni Vidi Vici
copout
Teardrop Inspector

Postby campmaster-k » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:59 am

Interesting. I always like to see different ways of doing things. Keep up the good work.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby crumbruiser » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:12 pm

I like your metal work.
Frank :clapping hands:
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby switterstx » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:16 pm

Thanks for the compliment. My dad was a professional welder for 30 years. I'm not nearly as good as he is. Hopefully I'll have more updates this weekend.
switterstx
Teardrop Advisor

2 weeks to go?

Postby switterstx » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:28 pm

I've got trim left to do and then hopefully I won't have anything to troubleshoot. If I'm lucky I'll be road testing it this next weekend. Just want to check that axle placement and maybe get it to a scale.
switterstx
Teardrop Advisor

Postby StandUpGuy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:54 pm

If you clearcoat the metal will it not maintain its shine?
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby switterstx » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:01 pm

Yeah if I had the resources I could clear coat it. Unfortunately I think it will oxidize before I get the chance to do that. And I don't know how well the clear coat will adhere to the galvanizing. I'll just be really happy that I have it done to be honest

:)
Tom
switterstx
Teardrop Advisor

Postby switterstx » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:10 pm

I'm hoping to road test tonight. I've had a buddy helping me at his shop. I've got lots of packing to do so he is going to put finishing touches on it o er the next few days. You can watch my cross country road test next week via this blog:

Http://www.middletonwhitehead.com/

Mor e Picts after tonight's road trip.

Take care,
Tom
switterstx
Teardrop Advisor

Postby campmaster-k » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:51 pm

Congratulations on on getting road worthy. Its a great accomplishment. -Kirk
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team