Project leaving well enough alone is never an option

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby vanwyk4257 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:05 pm

I'll post a google sketchup of what I have in mind soon. My foot is feeling a bit better although I think I may indeed have broken a bone, I'll see how it is tomorrow. I felt well enough to get the wood in place and squared up on the trailer and fastened it down with 100 tek screws so it's not going anywhere! I'll probably recoat the underside one more time later on but it looks pretty good right now. Hopefully if my foot's okay I can get the vinyl flooring installed this week and get the 1x2 cleats on the floor for wall attachment.
Michael
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vanwyk4257 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:39 pm

Here's a very rough google sketchup of what I had in mind if I don't do a popup of some sort.
Michael
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vanwyk4257 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:16 pm

Installed vinyl flooring and ran a length of 1/2" emt conduit to house the wiring for the trailer lights. The wiring is also protected with a run of 1/4" split loom inside the conduit. I didn't worry about leaving the bare floor on the street side of the camper because it will all be covered by cabinets and a bench.

Now I just need to finalize the design of what's getting mounted on top of the trailer and start making lots of sawdust! :lol:
Michael
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:03 am

Ouch! :cry: From the picture of your foot, I have no doubt you're in pain.

It seems like, at least for me, there is a certain amount of "blood-letting" at every stage of the build.

You have a very nice platform started and the flooring looks great. I like the roomy design of your TD/TTT. (I wish I had the patience to learn Sketch-up.)

There is no turning back now!

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby vanwyk4257 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks Tom!
I took the day off today and went to the doctor this morning, the good news is it's not broken, the bad news is I actually bruised the bone!
It should be fine it will just be sore for a while.
In the mean time I managed to make some real sawdust this afternoon with the table saw and compound miter saw. Finished the street side wall, not the prettiest but functional. Need to get corner blocks for the radius for the hehr windows then I can skin it and get a router and start trimming the lauan plywood skin.
At least now I can visualize what the profile will look like.
Michael
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby StandUpGuy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:31 pm

Looks good to me. Garage-able was not a requirement right?
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby vanwyk4257 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:25 pm

StandUpGuy wrote:Looks good to me. Garage-able was not a requirement right?

Correct, I never intended this to be garaged, it will be parked outside next to the house. I find myself with a bug to build a TD now that I'm looking around here. It would have to be a retro-looking build but if I build one of those it would have to be in the garage. I should probably finish this one before I start another one or my wife might lose her sense of humor! :lol:
Michael
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vanwyk4257 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:55 pm

Well, lots of progress was made today, I made up the wheel housings from the scrap 3/4" ply left over from the floor for the trailer, I just need to seal and coat the inside. I'll either use more undercoating or I may try to skin the inside with some of the extra aluminum sheeting to be used for the exterior.
Here's a pic of the wheel housings and one of the (filthy) windows test-fitted in the wall.
Michael
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vanwyk4257 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:02 pm

The big progress today however was getting the curb side wall, rear wall, and lower portion of the front wall all framed up. I couldn't resist throwing them on the trailer and taking a couple pics. This thing is going to be big! :shock:
I'm planning to work on the spars which will be cut from 2x4's with a slight crown to ensure that the top will shed water without any pooling. Then I have to skin the inside and mount the walls.
Any comments or input would be appreciated. I did figure out one small adjustment I need to make which is to bump out the offset of the front and rear walls by 1/4" so that I can overlap the ends of the front and rear wall with the 1/4" lauan plywood on the exterior.
Michael
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vanwyk4257 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:14 pm

It rained quite a bit today but I was able to get some work done in the garage. Got the interior skin glued and screwed on all four walls except the top section for one window I need to do yet.
Also installed insulation in the front, rear and one side wall, just have to finish the last side wall. I'm going to finish that tomorrow, sort out the design and build the roof spars. Hopefully next weekend the walls go on the trailer for good.
Michael
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:19 pm

Very nice you are humming right along. Keep up the good work.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby vanwyk4257 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:44 am

Thanks!
I didn't get any pics yesterday but I scored a great deal on a brand new 24" RV entry door with screen, opaque window and lockset, complete for $150.
I had to make a couple minor modifications to my curb side wall to use it as it was slightly taller than what I initially intended to use, but it will work fine.
I finished installing all the interior lauan plywood and insulation.

Next weekend the walls go on the trailer for good and hopefully by the time the labor day weekend is over the exterior skin will be on, windows in and door installed.

Once that gets done I can get my work done inside regardless of the weather. :D
Michael
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:25 am

Very nice!

Your progress is amazing. It doesn't seem like your foot is slowing you down.

Are you planning to have your standy done in time for camping? (Down here, about the time it is cool enough to camp, y'all have the cold weather coming.)

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby vanwyk4257 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks Tom.

My foot is feeling pretty good as long as I don't drop anything on it! :shock: As for the progress, let's just say I have an understanding wife, she understands that any time I start a project I get all OCD about executing a plan as efficiently as possible.

The plan (if all goes well) is to have the exterior done by the end of the labor day weekend and then to have the interior buildout and any other minor detail work sorted out by the end of September.

I'm just trying to decide how much time and energy to spend on it right now in terms of the level of finishing. Originally the intention was that this would strictly be a hunting base camp which doesn't require a high level of fit and finish, but with the inevitable project creep I find myself more inclined to spend time making everything look nice so I won't be hesitant to tell people I built it.

I did however obtain the most important detail this past week, a couple of stainless steel wall-mount bottle openers, one for the exterior and one for the interior. Just need to figure out where to mount them for maximum utility and curb appeal... :lol:

I can assure you after reading through your build thread that mine will in no way shape or form hold a candle to the workmanship yours exhibits. :thumbsup:
Michael
vanwyk4257
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kinto » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:25 pm

looking good! :thumbsup:

kent
:)
Is a hippopotamus just a really cool opotamus?

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals