Chumptastic Budget Build 10 days $500 -7 year update!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Vanq » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:00 am

Older guy is actually my grandfather- I bought my house just down the street from my grandparents. Other guy is my friend- actually a carpenter, but he won't come within miles of my garage when I'm working with lumber... I think watching me build things causes him physical pain.
-Vanq-

My Build
Vanq
Teardrop Builder

Postby Vanq » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:25 am

Aug 28th... my birthday, but the construction gods had no presents for me... details tomorrow.
-Vanq-

My Build
Vanq
Teardrop Builder

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:07 am

Happy Birthday a day late Vang.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Vanq » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:24 pm

Updated with descriptions- I'm really under the gun on account of the lack of progress yesterday. I need to finish the interior tonight, get some latches on the doors and get the hatch on. On the wish list for tonight is more body work and wiring. We'll see how things go, but its looking like the galley will be pretty spartain for the first trip.
-Vanq-

My Build
Vanq
Teardrop Builder

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:52 pm

I saw one couple show up at a gathering with no hatch and no doors so a spartan galley shouldn't be a problem.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Vanq » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:28 pm

Unfortunately no pics last night- another rough day too... messed up the door trims installing a strike plate for the latches and didn't get nearly enough work done.

Also noticed that the wheels are not running true- the axel tube must have been bent at a quick tape measure job shows about 3/4 inch of total toe... I now have to try and pull the axel straight...

On the plus side the roof vent is done and the leading edge is looking like a nice rounded curve.
-Vanq-

My Build
Vanq
Teardrop Builder

Postby Vanq » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:40 am

Updated pics of Monday's work and last nights work. There is a ton to do and basically no time left. I'm pretty satisfied that after last nights resin coating the shell will be waterproof with the exception of the galley and the door openings.(no weather stripping or rain rails). Right after work I'm going to lay up the rain rails on the doors and while its hardening work on actually making it towable. You know the little things like a coupler, lights, fenders and tires that aren't a million years old. If time permits I might put an opening in the galley cabinet and a coat of paint on it, but its not looking good so far. No current plans to put in any windows or the interior cabinets before this trip either.
-Vanq-

My Build
Vanq
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:24 pm

It looks like your trailer will be camp-able and a much safer, more comfortable place to sleep than a tent; so, I guess you did it! (...Or, are almost to that point.) When you take it out on your first trip, shortly, you can dream about how to build your storage shelves, etc. ;)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Woodstramp » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:45 pm

Vang,

You ask if anyone is following this build. You call it "10days on a $500 budget" Don't know about the 10 days part (admire your intensity), but the $500 budget.....that make you A-OK in my book. :)

One problem I have with your build page is the dinky pics. I know you can just click the pics for a larger shot, but Photobucket and my old PC don't get along. Hard for me to follow. But, you are a man on mission....get your build done. That is what is important. Hope your new rig gets finished on your time frame.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Vanq » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:16 am

Back from Iowa- trailer was pretty good actually. Pics and the To Do list after I get some sleep and unpack.
-Vanq-

My Build
Vanq
Teardrop Builder

Postby Danny » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:19 am

pix?? update??
Danny
The 300 Club

Postby Vanq » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:11 pm

Wow its been a while since I got on here... anyhow trip went great although I wore the tiny tires pretty much bald on the trip... how many miles should a guy get out of 8 inch tires?

To do list includes- finish galley, interior cabinets, re-think weather seal on doors and a better paint job. Most of that will wait till after winter.

Here's a pic from the first trip... kinda shows the contrasting extremes of what affordable racing is.

-Vanq-

My Build
Vanq
Teardrop Builder

Postby PhilStubbs » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:08 pm

what kind of racing are you doing? i ask cause i dont know how you get the race vehicle to the track with your setup.
PhilStubbs
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Vanq » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Sports car racing- at this event I was a hired gun for another team so I didn't have to worry about the car... I'm still scheming my teardrop toy hauler.
-Vanq-

My Build
Vanq
Teardrop Builder

Postby PhilStubbs » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:32 pm

Oh, I see. I am digging through local laws trying to find out if I could pull a teardrop behind my car trailer. So far it's not looking good. I have recently gotten into some racing myself
PhilStubbs
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals