Bob's Build. The Tintanic..Some Improvements

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Bob's Build. The Tintanic..............More Pics

Postby DMcCam » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:52 pm

Hi Bob, that's about what I thought it would take...ouch. But the end sure justified the means; she's gorgeous! :applause: I'm thinking about having the sheet metal company I'm getting the aluminum from put the .060 sheets through their rollers. That would at least put a curve in it to start. What do you think? :twisted:

Cheers,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:14 am

Great work Bob. Your tear is one of the great ones! :bowdown: :thumbsup:
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby CliffinGA » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:24 am

Bob your tear is looking grat and can't wait to see it!

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Bob's Build. The Tintanic..Maiden Voyages

Postby Bob Patterson » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:48 am

I couldn't wait any longer. We have had good weather the last few weeks and I had to take advantage of it. We decided to take the Tintanic on her Maiden Voyages. :vroom: Voyage is plural because we went camping three weeks in a row. Our first trip was to John Tanners Park. It is close to home, so we decided to go there first in case we had any problems.
We got a good campsite close to the bath house.
Our first night. The cabin is so cozy. My wife just loves it.
Breakfast. I love breakfast. :R
The next weekend we went to F.D. Roosevelt State Park. Another beatiful park.
I did learn a good lesson at this park. When you make reservations, you should always reserve a spot for a 40 foot trailer or motorhome. The cost is the same for the campsite whether large or small, but the sites are generally better for the larger camper.
Camping is sure tough for Bayley, the Wonder Dog.
Spahgetti for dinner.
Our third trip was to Fort Mountain State Park. This is my new favorite place.
Did I mention that I love breakfast?
Reggie and I just love our camper. It is everything that we hoped for. Everywhere we have gone, people ask us about it and want to check it out. No one believes that I built this thing in a carport. Nearly everyone we talk to wants to know if I would consider building them one. I always figured that I would build only one, for us. It is something to think about when I retire though.
Now that we have gone camping, I have a better idea for our needs for the galley cabinets. I have been working on measurements and gathering the things I will need. I hope to get started on them this weekend. I want to get it all done before the first week in May. We're going back to Fort Mountain for a few days. :dancing:
I'll post progress on the cabinets as I go. Thanks to all for following along.
All the best,
Bob (& Reggie)
Bob Patterson
Donating Member

Postby LDK » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:02 am

Looks like you all had a great time. Congrats on building a fine looking camper. :thumbsup:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bob Patterson » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:41 am

LDK
Looks like you all had a great time. Congrats on building a fine looking camper. Larry

We did and can't wait to go again. Thanks Larry, very much appreciated.
All the best,
Bob (& Reggie)
Bob Patterson
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:08 pm

:thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:

Beautiful - your teardrop, the different campgrounds, and...breakfasts. (They're one of my favorite parts about camping too.)

Bob, you should be really proud of what you've created!

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:20 pm

First class camper! I can' wait until I'm camping.

You said you like breakfast...could it be the bacon? I like to say, "There should be bacon at every meal!" mmm, good.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby sid » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:36 pm

Bob Patterson wrote:It is everything that we hoped for. Everywhere we have gone, people ask us about it and want to check it out. No one believes that I built this thing in a carport. Nearly everyone we talk to wants to know if I would consider building them one. I always figured that I would build only one, for us. It is something to think about when I retire though.

Hey Bob.... Let 'em build their own. Save your time and effort and go camping.... I've had many people ask me the same thing, and I always answer "Nothing personal, but I don't want to spend my retirement building a trailer for you, when I can be out camping"..... :lol:

NICE JOB on the teardrop!... now just go out every chance you get and enjoy it!... :thumbsup:

Mark and Pat.. aka Sid n Side
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Great job and a beautiful teardrop. Thanks for posting the pictures! :applause:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:11 pm

Great Job Bob and looks like ya'll had fun! Can't wait to head up and go camping with ya'll soon! Sheri and I ready I just want to get our bigger one done first though. Hopefully it be before the heat really hits. Enjoy your next trip bud!

In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:37 pm

Bob,
Thanks for sharing your Fantastic Tintanic maiden voyages! (Your Tintanic does look professionally built.)
I can see why Fort Mountain is your new favorite camping place! :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby DMcCam » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi Bob, WOW how cool is that to take her out and camp!!! :applause: :applause: :applause: I can't wait myself being that our trailers are almost twins! On that note, how did she tow? Details, we need lots of details about how the cabin worked out etc... Awesome my friend, fantastic job.

All the best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bob Patterson » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:04 am

aggie79 wrote::thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:

Beautiful - your teardrop, the different campgrounds, and...breakfasts. (They're one of my favorite parts about camping too.)

Bob, you should be really proud of what you've created!

Take care,
Tom

Thanks Tom, I am really proud of her.

KCStudly wrote:First class camper! I can' wait until I'm camping.

You said you like breakfast...could it be the bacon? I like to say, "There should be bacon at every meal!" mmm, good.

Yes, it's the BACON. I agree with what you say. Bacon at every meal (and for snacks, too.). :R

sid wrote:
Bob Patterson wrote:It is everything that we hoped for. Everywhere we have gone, people ask us about it and want to check it out. No one believes that I built this thing in a carport. Nearly everyone we talk to wants to know if I would consider building them one. I always figured that I would build only one, for us. It is something to think about when I retire though.

Hey Bob.... Let 'em build their own. Save your time and effort and go camping.... I've had many people ask me the same thing, and I always answer "Nothing personal, but I don't want to spend my retirement building a trailer for you, when I can be out camping"..... :lol:

NICE JOB on the teardrop!... now just go out every chance you get and enjoy it!... :thumbsup:

Mark and Pat.. aka Sid n Side

Thanks for the kudos on the camper. We are going to go camping every chance we get.

Woodbutcher wrote:Great job and a beautiful teardrop. Thanks for posting the pictures! :applause:

Thanks Woodbutcher. I appreciate your comments very much.

CliffinGA wrote:Great Job Bob and looks like ya'll had fun! Can't wait to head up and go camping with ya'll soon! Sheri and I ready I just want to get our bigger one done first though. Hopefully it be before the heat really hits. Enjoy your next trip bud!

Cliff, I don't get in there and comment as often as I should, but you're doing a heck of a job on the Black Hole. I hope you get her done soon so we can meet up and enjoy a little camping together. I'm really looking forward to it.

S. Heisley wrote:Bob,
Thanks for sharing your Fantastic Tintanic maiden voyages! (Your Tintanic does look professionally built.)
I can see why Fort Mountain is your new favorite camping place! :thumbsup: :applause:

Thanks Sharon. I still have a ways to go before it's completely built. We loved Fort Mountain so much that we are going back there next week instead of trying a different campground.

DMcCam wrote:Hi Bob, WOW how cool is that to take her out and camp!!! :applause: :applause: :applause: I can't wait myself being that our trailers are almost twins! On that note, how did she tow? Details, we need lots of details about how the cabin worked out etc... Awesome my friend, fantastic job.

All the best,

Dave

Hiya Dave. It's great getting out camping, but I'll never get her finished that way. Dave, she tows like a dream. You can't even tell she's back there. My tow vehicle is a 96 Ford Explorer with a V-8 so there isn't much that will slow it down, but really, I have to check the rear view mirror to make sure she's still back there. The cabin is better than we could have hoped for. I ended up using a full size mattress. I was worried that might not be big enough, but it turns out I was wrong. We have plenty of room. The TV is at a perfect viewing level. It's like being at a theater you can lay down at. Cozy is the word I used earlier to describe it. I didn't mean that in a derogitory way. Our first night in it it rained pretty hard and the sound of the rain was like a lullaby. The Fantastice fan was set on low and it was just enough breeze without pulling any rain inside to keep it very comfortable. I didn't put AC in the Tintanic and Reggie was a little leary about that. So far she has had to turn the fan off every night because she got cold. Yaaaaaaaaa. :D
There is a ton of storage in the cabin as well. I am really surprised at the amount of room. We put a bunch of junk in the cabinets and still had gobs of room. We had one cabinet filled with canned goods because I hadn't gotten the galley cabs installed yet, clothes, DVDs, flashlights, towels, shoes and still had room. Dave, you won't believe it until you get the Travelear outfitted and ready to go. You are going to be surprised.
And that brings me to this weeks work.
Cabinets...............................................
I got the face frame finished and put it in place to see how it would work out.
Then I built the pantry and filled it up with cans to see how much it would hold.
It holds more than I thought it would.
Then I fitted the drawers in place to check my sizing and measurements.
Drawer guides installed, drawers in place.
I can't get over how much these things will hold.
Now I just need to make the drawer fronts and install them, but if I don't get them done, she's still campable. We're leaving for Fort Mountain on Tuesday for 4 or 5 days.
Thanks again for following along.
All the best,
Bob (& Reggie)
Bob Patterson
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:15 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Looks like you've got plenty of storage! Very nice build altogether, and great to see pics of your first adventure.
parnold
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals