Doors Framed and Cut 10/26/11 pg 3

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Doors Framed and Cut 10/26/11 pg 3

Postby Zboom » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Hey all just wanted to post pics of my progress so far. I have been reading here for over a year and finally got some time to start. My wife, dogs and I are going to Moab next Sept so I have about a year to get this thing built. My TV is 06 Jeep Rubicon LJ and his name is "Willis" after the old WWII Jeeps.

My plan is to build a weekender but a little taller, wider, and longer. I want to do a stripper out of cedar and probably hickory (dad just built cabs and get some free scraps). Wanna do it this way because I want to build a strip canoe next using the strip method (bucket list thing) and I need the practice, lol. I also plan on enlaying a double T in the sides (Texas Tech) but havent figured out how i am going to that yet. I started off with a HF 4x8 frame and took the X members out. I then laid 2x2'2 down and applied Black Beauty to the 2x2's and made the floor a little over 5' and 9' long. I have let the Black Beauty sit and cure and checked on it today and found that it is still tacky. I also bolted the frame down to the trailer today.

ImageI am going to cut the 2x2's away from the wheels as soon as I figure a good way to frame in some fenders. thinking of getting some 1x4's and building a box around them by rabbiting the ends. Will do this by gluing w. titebond III and pocket screws. Here are a couple more pics as a little birdy told me you guys/gals like the pics.

Hopefully this weekend I can put the drop down box in and get the floor put in place as well.

Thanks for looking! :dancing: [/img]
Last edited by Zboom on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Zboom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Alan and Lianna » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:55 pm

One year should be plenty of time to get mostly finished(there never really finished), now if you were an aggie, that might be pushing it! Looks like a good start, keep those pictures coming..

Alan
Don't just dream about it!
Wake up and make it happen...
Alan and Lianna
Teardrop Master

Postby crttaz » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:01 am

it seems my brainstorming as a newb here, others start building what I was thinking.

:twisted:
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby Zboom » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:18 am

Alan, we all like to pick on Aggy dont we. Yeah I hope a year will be enough but I'm on tear drop, honey do, and work time! :lol:

Crttaz, all my thoughts were illegally pirated from other members and I recommend you to do the same :R
Zboom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kinto » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:53 am

moab is rad :thumbsup:

looking forward to watching your build.

go :hammer: go :hammer: GO! :hammer:

kent
:)
Is a hippopotamus just a really cool opotamus?

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:59 am

Don't sweat the name thing, I built mine 6 yrs ago and it doesn't have a name.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Zboom » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:15 pm

Thanks Kent.... I have been watching your build and it looks great! Might have to copy some your ideas as well. Yeah I can't wait to make it up to Moab... Wish it was this year but have a dog that went to surgery today and just replaced our a/c so we are feeling the squeeze.

Asianflava the name part will come around especially when I least expect it. Maybe a curseword lol
Zboom
Teardrop Advisor

RE: Name

Postby mezmo » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi Zboom,

Your 'name' Zboom, just inspired a name suggestion.

How about, "Z-Boom, Z-Boom" or "ZaBoom, ZaBoom"
a la the 1950s singing group, The Platters's hit song "ShaBoom, ShaBoom".

It's played a lot on oldies's night on the radio etc. and is a catchy tune.

"ShaBoom, ShaBoom, da da da da da da, ShaBoom, ShaBoom, da da da
da da da,...Life can be a dream... ."

Is there a story behind "Zboom"? Perhaps you could tie it in with the
build with the name.

Good luck with your build.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Zboom » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Hey Norm, unfortunately I don't know that song your talking about, lol.... The name Zboom came from my 2 rescue muts. The first one name is Zia and the other is Boomer. So I just put the 2 together and voila...

It could work as a trailer name as well :D
Zboom
Teardrop Advisor

RE: ShBoom

Postby mezmo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:12 pm

Hi Zboom,

I figured I was "dating" myself when I mentioned the song! I also
found out I "misremembered" the Artists who did it. It was an early
"doo wap" song originally by a group called "The Chords" in 1954
[I first heard it a few years 'later' on] and was a #1 hit by "The Crew
Cuts" in 1954 also, who did it as a cover.

It's just a happy, catchy tune.

In case you're curious:

The Crew Cuts version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9G0-4TWwew

The Chords version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTRfRK0ahYs

Just for grins.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

no name build update 9/10

Postby Zboom » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:31 pm

Hey everyone

I dint get as much done today as I wanted due to football and I woke up to rain this morning. The rain was a welcome sign here in Southeastern New Mexico. It has been one of the driest years on record.

I started out by going to the Orange Box after lunch to pick up some ply and clamps. They had a great deal on clamps.

I also volunteer for Big Brother, Big Sisters of Southeastern New Mexico and my little brother wanted to help me out. He has never used power tools or performed any work with his hands. It was really cool to teach someone things that my dad taught me when I was a kid. He really enjoyed and picked up on alot of things really quick.

The first thing we did was cut fender wells. I used 1x4 whitewood and applied the black beauty on it. We will finish the top of the fender wheels once the floor is finally laid down.

We then applied the black beauty to the bottom of the floor. We used 3/4 sanded pine for the deck. Everything else at the Orange Box looked like poo with too many cracks and too many knots. Chris really enjoyed me using the flush cut router bit and watching me get covered in saw dust.

We then laid down a bead of black roofing pookey on the 2x2 frame. This stuff is nasty if it gets on you.

I did this b/c the pressure of clamps and screws will squeeze the pookey out and create a seal between the 2x2's and the ply. Is this necessary? Who knows but I do like insurance (adjuster joke).

Here are a couple of pics of Chris using a drill for the first time and putting screws down to secure the ply to the frame. He really liked the drill as well.

Up next we will finish the floor, fender wells, and start cutting and creating a drop down storage box. Thanks for looking. Criticism is welcome :)
Zboom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Zboom » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:33 pm

Norm,

I checked out the tunes and was surprised I never heard of it b/c I used to listen to Oldies alot when I was a kid with my dad. So I called my old man up and he knew exactly the song you were talking about, lol.....

Cheers and Wreck Em'

Michael
Zboom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CarlLaFong » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:27 am

You're one of just a few people that know it's pronounced "Willis" and not "Willeez". Bravo :applause:
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
"As I wandered, alone, through the endless fields of corn, I could hear the crows. They seemed to mock me, calling out my name, over and over", said Cawe
CarlLaFong
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:49 am

asianflava wrote:Don't sweat the name thing, I built mine 6 yrs ago and it doesn't have a name.

oh it does Rocky...you just don't know what it is..... :lol: :lol: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby CliffinGA » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:17 am

Micheal looking good bud, tell Chris he can come help me do my next build as that was a pain my back (really) putting all those screws in. Yeah my mom called yesterday as Lubbock got a lot of rain also thankfully. Keep it up,

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Build Journals