"The X-II" 5-Wide Convertible Teardrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Robbie » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:21 pm

Haha it's going to look like a disco party in there! :P :running man: :dancing:

That's a nice touch of originality! I'm excited to see how they look up in the trolley top!
My aluminum benroy build:
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby Deryk the Pirate » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:23 pm

Nothin wrong with causeing seizures lol...I love strobe lights lol
Build Thread lil vardo 1: http://tinyurl.com/baqe6py
Build Thread lil vardo 2: http://tinyurl.com/b3rwffm
Deryk the Pirate
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:36 pm

Its definitely going to be different! But isn't that why we build these things in the first place?! :lol:

I'm planning on going to All Good next summer with some friends. I think the X-II will fit right in! :? :R
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Deryk the Pirate » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:33 pm

Zach, very tempting, but a week later Im goin out near there in slippery rock pa for a week and a half... unless I could leave my vardo at a friends house who lives out that way... hmmmmm.....
:twisted:
Build Thread lil vardo 1: http://tinyurl.com/baqe6py
Build Thread lil vardo 2: http://tinyurl.com/b3rwffm
Deryk the Pirate
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:05 pm

I feel like I've been neglecting the X-II since I got sick a few weeks ago :(

But...

I finally picked up my two 4x10 sheets of 3/4" MDO! Wasn't cheap, but I didn't have to take off work and drive 2 hours to pick it up, so I'm happy.

Would love to get the profiles cut this weekend, but we'll see. I just bought a 1" lift kit for my Outback, so I'm hoping to take care of that this weekend too.
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Robbie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:16 pm

Lifting your Outback huh?! Sweet! Subtle Solutions? Paranoid Fab? Jackson Rally? You'll love having the lift! I cut out a set of 1.25" thick HDPE spacers on the CNC machine at work and after getting it all installed I think I will lift every suby I have from here on out. I'm still planning on newer Forester suspension for another 1.5" of lift and then some BFG All-Terrains. Gonna look good Zach! Let me know if you have any questions about the install, I took a bunch of pics when I installed my spacers that might be of help to ya.

Robbie
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby Kharn » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:19 am

Zach,
Its good to see you're making progress; what's the going rate for 4x10 MDO?
Kharn
500 Club

Postby Mikeestep » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:55 pm

Robbie wrote:Lifting your Outback huh?! Sweet! Subtle Solutions? Paranoid Fab? Jackson Rally? You'll love having the lift! I cut out a set of 1.25" thick HDPE spacers on the CNC machine at work and after getting it all installed I think I will lift every suby I have from here on out. I'm still planning on newer Forester suspension for another 1.5" of lift and then some BFG All-Terrains. Gonna look good Zach! Let me know if you have any questions about the install, I took a bunch of pics when I installed my spacers that might be of help to ya.

Robbie

Sorry to get off topic
Has anyone seen Jackson Rallys builds? His wagon is incredible. He built a F-150 awhile back that was amazing.
Mikeestep
Teardrop Builder

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Robbie wrote:Lifting your Outback huh?! Sweet! Subtle Solutions? Paranoid Fab? Jackson Rally? You'll love having the lift! I cut out a set of 1.25" thick HDPE spacers on the CNC machine at work and after getting it all installed I think I will lift every suby I have from here on out. I'm still planning on newer Forester suspension for another 1.5" of lift and then some BFG All-Terrains. Gonna look good Zach! Let me know if you have any questions about the install, I took a bunch of pics when I installed my spacers that might be of help to ya.

Robbie

Went with Subtle Solutions 1" aluminum kit, plus 3/8" HPDE for the rear, and 1/4" HPDE for the front. We didn't have a spring compressor so the rear struts were a PITA!! We pulled the wheels off to do the front and noticed that my lower control arm bushings are about shot, so I decided to wait to do the spacers until I get new bushings. Then I can just get the car aligned after everything is installed. Didnt have long enough bolts to accommodate the additional 3/8" spacer on the rear, so this picture is only 1" lift in the rear.

Already riding higher than a Blazer 8)

Kharn wrote:Zach,
Its good to see you're making progress; what's the going rate for 4x10 MDO?

I got a price of $98/sheet from a place called Industrial Plywood, but they are 2 hours from me, and not open on the weekends. So I contacted a local sign company, and they charged me $115/sheet. It cost more, but I didn't have to take off work and waste gas. In the grand scheme of the build, that little extra is a drop in the bucket.

Mikeestep wrote:Sorry to get off topic
Has anyone seen Jackson Rallys builds? His wagon is incredible. He built a F-150 awhile back that was amazing.

Not sure if I have... you got a link?
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Robbie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:10 am

Kyle Jackson over at JR does build some amazing vehicles! Here is a link to a WRX he is prepping for the Baja 1000.

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/show ... php?t=5162

And here is Kyle's personal wagon.

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?t=765

Sorry to jump off topic. ;)

Are you planning on using the Little Guy doors again?
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby SubaruDave » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:12 pm

Good to see some fellow Suby owners modding their cars a little. I'm getting coilovers for the summer and Forester Struts for the winter for some nice lift.
SubaruDave
Teardrop Advisor

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:31 pm

That wagon is sick! I want a snorkel!! 8)

I've read about people putting Forester struts and springs on their Outbacks. Would love to get a fully adjustable gravel suspension! This little bit of lift will do for now though :lol:

... and yeah Robbie, I already have a pair of the factory style doors sitting in my basement, waiting for a trailer to be built. They're expensive, but they look good and work well.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Robbie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:52 pm

They definitely do look good! I wish I didn't cut my doors out the way I did and went with the little guy doors! There's always next trailer though right? Lol.
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:43 pm

Great day to work on the teardrop! A little breezy and chilly, but the sun was out for most of the day. My roving workshop landed me at my parents house this morning, and my Dad watched over my shoulder while I laid out the side profile on the 4x10 MDO. Then we got to make some serious sawdust!

We cut out both sides, the lower galley bulkhead, and the galley shelf. I'm planning on applying the CPES to the endgrain of the MDO tomorrow, and then maybe starting some assembly on Monday.

Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:52 pm

That is a very nice profile Zach. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Reading this journal makes me more aware than ever how scared I am to do the electrical. I have absolutely NO IDEA what all that stuff is. I will be endeavoring to keep it as simple as possible to give myself less opportunities to screw it up, but perhaps I should take a class at the community college next semester so I can at least understand the fundamentals.
Last edited by Oldragbaggers on Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals