"The X-II" 5-Wide Convertible Teardrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The X-II - 09/02/2012 - Got a spare!

Postby rlh3 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:28 am

Zach,

How long is the straight section of your roofline? I ask because I am wondering if it would be possible to add some crossbars, like a Thule or Yakima rack, to carry a canoe, or two, on top of the X-II.

Roman
rlh3
Teardrop Inspector

Re: The X-II - 09/02/2012 - Got a spare!

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:00 am

rlh3 wrote:Zach,

How long is the straight section of your roofline? I ask because I am wondering if it would be possible to add some crossbars, like a Thule or Yakima rack, to carry a canoe, or two, on top of the X-II.

Roman

Roman,

The flat section of the trolley top is almost 60" long. Could probably get a roof rack to work. You had mentioned not doing the convertible top, so the fan cover wouldn't get in the way of the roof rack either. There is a thread around here somewhere discussing different roof racks.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Re: The X-II - 09/10/2012 - Charging while towing

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:52 am

After months of procrastination, I finally wired up my Yandina Battery Combiner in preparation for a boondocking trip next weekend. If you haven't read about battery combiners (or separators), they connect two batteries together when one of the batteries is receiving a charge. When the charge is stopped, then the battery combiner automatically disconnects the batteries so that they do not discharge each other. Now I can charge the teardrop battery while I'm driving, and don't need to worry about remembering to disconnect wires when I turn the car off. The Yandina does it for me.

I mounted the Yandina right next to my main disconnect switch in one of my underfloor compartments.

I then bought two 10GA 12' jumper cable sets from good ole' Harbor Freight, to go from the car battery to the hitch, and the coupler to the teardrop battery. I just cut the ends off, and can use those clamps around camp to hang lanterns or whatever. The biggest issue was finding a connector that could handle high current. I looked into just getting a 7-pin connector kit to convert my trailer over, but those things are massive!! I really didn't want one of those monstrosities hanging from my car. Instead, I ordered some 45A Anderson Powerpoles. These things are really nice! It was a pain to install them on the ends of the the jumper cable wires because of how thick the jumper cable insulation is, but after some shaving down with a razor blade I made it work.

My next task that I've been wanting to get to for a little while is some ventilation for the electrical compartment. Fuses, wires, and relays don't generate any heat, but the WFCO8725 power center sure generates heat when its plugged into 110VAC to charge the battery. Although I haven't had any issues with it, creating some ventilation is certainly cheaper than buying a new unit. Instead of installing two unsightly vents on the side of the trailer, my design allows me to cut the two 2.5" holes in the back wall of my electrical compartment, which vents to the underside of the trailer.

Inside (don't mind the mess. and that empty gray conduit is just a secondary conduit that never got used)

Underneath:

These two holes alone really wouldn't allow for much ventilation, so I added a computer case fan to circulate the air in one vent, and out the other. But there's no need to have the fan running constantly, and remembering to switch it on and off would just be a pain. So I opened up the WFCO and spliced the new computer case fan into the wiring for the power center's internal fan, so that they both turn on and off as the power center needs to cool off.

And one last update... I finally got some more carpet to finish the galley floor! Its the same commercial grade carpet samples that I used on the inside. Freebies from my office :) These help keep coolers and containers from sliding around so much during travel.

Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Re: The X-II - 09/10/2012 - Charging while towing!

Postby droid_ca » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:40 am

Wow grear update Zack I love the ideas that you come up with so practicle so what else you got in mind for this trailer?
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:54 am

droid_ca wrote:Wow grear update Zack I love the ideas that you come up with so practicle so what else you got in mind for this trailer?

Thanks! The ideas just come up from using the trailer so much. Seems like every weekend that I use it, I get another idea. I don't think I have anything else planned for now, but I'm going boondocking this weekend, so we'll see. :?
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:29 pm

Nice install on the Yandina, I see you read the instructions and didn't cut the cable. :thumbsup:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby grizz » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:01 pm

Well Zach, looking great as always.

Up to go to France on the bike at 03.50 and back Friday night.

BUT. I really need to get the Grizz-Pod back into use. We used to enjoy using it.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:40 am

bdosborn wrote:Nice install on the Yandina, I see you read the instructions and didn't cut the cable. :thumbsup:

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, and thanks for the wiring suggestions! Can't wait to try it out this weekend. Its not the cleanest install, but it works. Also wired up the control switch. And yup... didn't cut the wires short. Gotta read those directions and follow them!

grizz wrote:Well Zach, looking great as always.

Up to go to France on the bike at 03.50 and back Friday night.

BUT. I really need to get the Grizz-Pod back into use. We used to enjoy using it.

Thanks Rian! Seems like forever since I've seen any pics of the GP... Gotta get back out there man! I know you've been busy around the house - everythings looking good!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Archy88 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:18 pm

Hi Zach,
First of all..what an amazing build! I've already emailed you, and I'm anxiously waiting to start my first ever tear drop. I don't know where the money is going to come from but I have a feeling I'll be duplicating your design at some point. :worship:

Anyway, I've just finished up a year of camping with a tent and I have a question for you. Do you have any problems with condensation due to the vinyl roof? My biggest complaint with tenting is the condensation and dampness of the tent during cold/rainy weather. I would like to avoid the same situation if I can!

Thank you sir
Archy88
Teardrop Inspector

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:24 am

Archy88 wrote:Hi Zach,
First of all..what an amazing build! I've already emailed you, and I'm anxiously waiting to start my first ever tear drop. I don't know where the money is going to come from but I have a feeling I'll be duplicating your design at some point. :worship:

Anyway, I've just finished up a year of camping with a tent and I have a question for you. Do you have any problems with condensation due to the vinyl roof? My biggest complaint with tenting is the condensation and dampness of the tent during cold/rainy weather. I would like to avoid the same situation if I can!

Thank you sir

Thanks Archy! When I built my first trailer, most of the funding came from my income tax return :twisted:

I've never had a problem with condensation on the vinyl roof, however the doors are a different story. The cold glass of the doors just attracts the moisture that your body creates when you breathe. This issue occurs with all teardrop trailers, not just mine. The key to reducing the moisture is to keep a window cracked while you sleep so that the moisture can escape. Its a good idea to keep a window cracked anyway, so that you can get some fresh air into the trailer and not suffocate. There's a thread here on the forum called "Air tight teardrops can kill you". Don't be scared away by that, but just be mindful of it.

Also, for cold fall and winter trips you can always make some removable insulation panels for the ceiling.... (pic from my first teardrop)

:thumbsup:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Archy88 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:31 am

Thanks Archy! When I built my first trailer, most of the funding came from my income tax return :twisted:

I've never had a problem with condensation on the vinyl roof, however the doors are a different story. The cold glass of the doors just attracts the moisture that your body creates when you breathe. This issue occurs with all teardrop trailers, not just mine. The key to reducing the moisture is to keep a window cracked while you sleep so that the moisture can escape. Its a good idea to keep a window cracked anyway, so that you can get some fresh air into the trailer and not suffocate. There's a thread here on the forum called "Air tight teardrops can kill you". Don't be scared away by that, but just be mindful of it.

Also, for cold fall and winter trips you can always make some removable insulation panels for the ceiling.... (pic from my first teardrop)

:thumbsup:

I appreciate the informed response. I came across that thread when I first found this forum and it certainly made me raise an eyebrow. I will definitely keep this in mind when the time comes for my own build!

I can imagine that the condensation would be similar to my folks RV. There is no escaping it during damp/cold days. But, I'll run back to your first build and check out that insulation(pic broken). I am pretty much sold on a convertible top and I think insulation would be a wonderful luxury at times.
Archy88
Teardrop Inspector

Re: The X-II - 10/23/2012 - I'm part FOAMIE!!

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:17 am

Fall is finally here... but that doesn't mean that camping season is over yet! I still have 3 trips planned between now and mid-December, so it's time to start working on insulating the X-II. The panels I made for my first convertible (see previous post) worked really well in colder temps, but they were a little cumbersome to take in and out, and I hadn't come up with a way to mount them so that they were easily removable.

So on my lunch break the other day, I wandered through the hardware section at Lowe's until I came up with something that would work. I stumbled across these threaded brass inserts which would be perfect. Also picked up some nylon spacers, stainless steel washers and s.s. screws.The brass inserts get screwed into the roof spars; the nylon inserts get pressed into the insulation panels, and the s.s. washer and screws hold the insulation panels in place.

I drilled pilot holes for the brass inserts and screwed them into the roof spars.

Then started cutting up sheets of EPS insulation. I picked up a 3/4" sheet for the pieces between the roof spars, and then a 1" sheet for the main roof/ceiling panels. The 3/4" pieces get adhered to the 1" panels so that they can be installed and removed easier. The entire insulation package will be 6 assemblies, a few of which need to be able to fold so that they fit through the trailer door.

I still have to finish the making the panels on the front curve, but I'm getting there. Its a lot of fitting and trimming and measuring and aligning. I want to finish the panels somehow, so that they don't look just like crappy green insulation panels. I'm thinking of just primer and paint, or possibly covering them in fabric. Another option that is playing in my mind is creating a full fabric headliner which would be held in place with velcro. This option would hide the fasteners, and could be washed if needed, or changed to another fabric easily.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:14 pm

Stay warm my friend! :lol:

I like the idea of a velcro headliner.

Give Jan a big hug for me if she is there this weekend!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:25 pm

parnold wrote:Stay warm my friend! :lol:

I like the idea of a velcro headliner.

Give Jan a big hug for me if she is there this weekend!

Not too late to join us Paul! These panels were to prepare for this weekend, since it was about 35 degrees when were were there two years ago! But now it looks like I wont need them... 70 and sunny!

Sounds like she's going to be there so I'll give her a hug for ya :thumbsup:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:49 pm

My youngest son is up visiting from North Carolina, so I'm hanging with him. I actually have Thurs and Fri off because I was going to go so it worked out well for me to spend some time with my "boy".
parnold
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals