"The X-II" 5-Wide Convertible Teardrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The X-II - 3/11/2013 - Solar Power!

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:19 am

Thanks guys! I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Still some tweaking to do though.

Junkboy999 wrote:Nice Zach.

I like the extra insulation idea. I know your camper is special being open, so the extra thick insulation is
probably needed. I’m planning on placing snaps on the inside and top of my teardrop so I can snap on
insulation blankets to the interior. ( only for extreme cold camping ). We used padded insulated blankets
in the Air Force and they worked well.

If you're still around when I get my dream teardrop up and running I’ll have to pick your mind for the solar
setup. I want two batteries and two full size panels on the top of my TD. The solar cells will mount on top
on a luggage rack type of an arrangement. Hopefully I can make it somewhat adjustable to catch the sun for
most of the day.

Keep us posted on your progress.
:thumbsup:

The insulation in the convertible top makes a huge difference! I'm going camping with the Chesapeake Bay Tearjerkers this weekend, and its going to get into the 30's at night so the insulation will definitely be a plus! The padded blankets sounds like an interesting idea too!

I'm still learning about solar so I can't take credit for my setup. Bruce (bdosborn) really helped me out with a lot of good info and direction.

Speaking of Bruce....

bdosborn wrote:Zach,

Slick set, now you can camp as long as there's a sun. :thumbsup: Where'd you get those supports, I might need some of those.

Bruce

Thanks again for all your advice! Its working great! Just need to rig up a way to be able to tilt the panel. But for now, the flat orientation will work quite nicely for most of the day. The bases for my setup are stainless steel bimini deck hinges and the supports are just 3/4"x3/4"x1/8" aluminum angle.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Re: The X-II - 3/11/2013 - Solar Power!

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon May 06, 2013 8:34 am

The one thing that's been bugging me since I built the trailer was the galley's color scheme. The stained wall and shelf were just too dark. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but in retrospect it sucks. So the past couple weeks I've been slowly renovating it.

First was the dividers (a couple posts ago) and then I rebuilt the stereo enclosure to gain back some counterspace. I also painted the entire back wall.

Yesterday I finally got around to doing the countertop. I picked up some 18" vinyl tiles from Lowe's but first I had to strip everything back out of the galley again. Then I just trimmed the tiles and stuck them in place. We'll see how they hold up. If they don't work well, then I only wasted a few dollars and I'll just pull them up and figure something else out.

I also pulled everything out of the lower galley and gave it a fresh coat of paint to match the upper galley. This is the "before" picture. Notice the yellow-ish lower galley versus the tan upper galley?

It got too dark for "finished" pictures. So just take my word for it that it looks a lot better now. :D
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Re: The X-II - 5/5/2013 - Galley Renovation

Postby Kharn » Mon May 06, 2013 9:46 am

If the vinyl doesn't work, you can always do Formica.
Kharn
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Mon May 06, 2013 3:39 pm

The self adhesive vinyl may come unstuck due to heat if you let her sit in the sun unvented. I have had good luck gluing the self adhesive tiles down using the tile cement recommended for the not-self adhesive tiles and vinyl flooring sheet goods. I also would recommend the seam sealer (but I would wait on that until you are sure that they aren't going to peel back up).

Your changes look good. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon May 06, 2013 7:21 pm

I like it much better Zach. Not that I didn't like it before, it was very nice the original way, but this just seems to go with the rest of the trailer. :thumbsup:
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby BillZ » Mon May 06, 2013 9:08 pm

I agree with Becky.
Even though I normally am a fan of the wood look, what you did fits better. A modern tear design with a modern look.
You keep coming up with great improvements, Zach.
BillZ
The 300 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue May 07, 2013 8:16 am

Kharn wrote:If the vinyl doesn't work, you can always do Formica.

I'm definitely going to keep that in mind :thinking:

KCStudly wrote:The self adhesive vinyl may come unstuck due to heat if you let her sit in the sun unvented. I have had good luck gluing the self adhesive tiles down using the tile cement recommended for the not-self adhesive tiles and vinyl flooring sheet goods. I also would recommend the seam sealer (but I would wait on that until you are sure that they aren't going to peel back up).

Your changes look good. :thumbsup:

I was concerned about that, but fortunately my galley has that divider and stereo box sitting on top of the vinyl tiles, so that may help the situation. As long as the front edge doesnt come up I think I should be good. As much as I used my trailer I'm sure I'll find out soon enough. I'll look into that seam sealer too.

Oldragbaggers wrote:I like it much better Zach. Not that I didn't like it before, it was very nice the original way, but this just seems to go with the rest of the trailer. :thumbsup:

Thansk Becky! The original way kinda bugged me from the beginning, but I had so many other projects that needed attention.

BillZ wrote:I agree with Becky.
Even though I normally am a fan of the wood look, what you did fits better. A modern tear design with a modern look.
You keep coming up with great improvements, Zach.

Thanks Bill!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Tue May 07, 2013 8:16 pm

Zach, my galley counter top is Formica, but just to trim it up I put a strip of 1" aluminum L trim on the edge. That would keep the edges of that tile from ever coming up. Only costs a few bucks and looks very nice. Just a thought.
Becky

Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby wingloader » Wed May 15, 2013 11:35 am

I can't wait to finish my current build so I can start on my next one. :twisted:

My build is very simple. I stole a few ideas from you. I haven't posted my build thread yet. After seeing what an ass kicking job you did, I am a little ashamed of mine!

My next one (funny how I already have plans for another one) will have bells and whistles, but the current build is just for functionality.

Joe
It takes a big man to cry, and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.
--jack handy
wingloader
Donating Member

Postby wingloader » Thu May 23, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi Zach!

You were my inspiration for making my TD. I used a lot of your ideas and I will be sure to give you the credit if anyone tells me what a sweet idea it was to put a little compartment in the front for the electrical stuff.

I got my build thread started! Check it out here:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55818

I am trying to get the outside finished in time to go on a hang gliding trip to Maryland in the first week of June.

I've worked hard on this so far so I really hope folks come take a look at my progress. I'm PROUD OF IT!!! :D

Are you a master woodworker or something? Everything you do looks perfect.

Joe
--jack handy
wingloader
Donating Member

Postby pitbullluvajrod » Fri May 24, 2013 3:13 am

Hey Zach, I would like to start off by saying how amazing your build journal is. You have created a beautiful trailer :thumbsup: . I am a newb to the scene and have been doing a lot of lurking and documenting what I like. I was totally against building over the tires ,at first. I've noticed a few that wasn't too bad... but yours changed my mind. I like how clean the flow of your rig is. I am hooked on a 5x10 Benroy enspired profile. Miss Becky invited me to go see her lil beauty, awesome lil fella. I asked if I could borrow the radius tweek she made. Between Miss Beckys profile and your over the tire build, I'm getting more thought to paper. I would hope to meet up with you out there soon, til then, have fun and keep it tween the lines.
Jerry S :beer:
pitbullluvajrod
Teardrop Advisor

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri May 24, 2013 1:08 pm

Oldragbaggers wrote:Zach, my galley counter top is Formica, but just to trim it up I put a strip of 1" aluminum L trim on the edge. That would keep the edges of that tile from ever coming up. Only costs a few bucks and looks very nice. Just a thought.

When I first "finished" it (no tiles), I had a thin aluminum angle covering the edge. Once I got the tiles in place, I tried to put the aluminum back in place. Would you believe that my building tolerances were so close (hatch spars to galley shelf) that it will not close completely with the aluminum and the new tiles?! The hatch spars hit the aluminum edge :?

wingloader wrote:I can't wait to finish my current build so I can start on my next one. :twisted:

My build is very simple. I stole a few ideas from you. I haven't posted my build thread yet. After seeing what an ass kicking job you did, I am a little ashamed of mine!

My next one (funny how I already have plans for another one) will have bells and whistles, but the current build is just for functionality.

You were my inspiration for making my TD. I used a lot of your ideas and I will be sure to give you the credit if anyone tells me what a sweet idea it was to put a little compartment in the front for the electrical stuff.

I got my build thread started! Check it out here:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55818

I am trying to get the outside finished in time to go on a hang gliding trip to Maryland in the first week of June.

I've worked hard on this so far so I really hope folks come take a look at my progress. I'm PROUD OF IT!!! :D

Are you a master woodworker or something? Everything you do looks perfect.

Joe

Thanks for the compliments Joe! I'm definitely no master woodworker, but planning everything on the computer before building was a HUGE advantage. My first build was pretty basic (although still a convertible), and then when I designed this one I added a lot more 'bells and whistles'.

The nice thing about having the electrical in the front under the mattress is that its completely out of the way and nobody can see what a mess it is :lol:

Just checked out your thread and its great! Nice work!

pitbullluvajrod wrote:Hey Zach, I would like to start off by saying how amazing your build journal is. You have created a beautiful trailer :thumbsup: . I am a newb to the scene and have been doing a lot of lurking and documenting what I like. I was totally against building over the tires ,at first. I've noticed a few that wasn't too bad... but yours changed my mind. I like how clean the flow of your rig is. I am hooked on a 5x10 Benroy enspired profile. Miss Becky invited me to go see her lil beauty, awesome lil fella. I asked if I could borrow the radius tweek she made. Between Miss Beckys profile and your over the tire build, I'm getting more thought to paper. I would hope to meet up with you out there soon, til then, have fun and keep it tween the lines.
Jerry S :beer:

Thanks Jerry! My first was only 4 feet wide, with the wheels on the outside of the body, but that extra foot makes a huge difference! I definitely like the clean look without the fenders. I'm still waiting for a chance to see Becky's in person - hopefully sometime later this summer. I see you're down in Baltimore, and I believe you just joined the Tearjerkers, so I hope to meet you at a gathering sometime! The Chesapeake Bay Tearjerkers are a really active and really fun group - hope you're social!! :lol:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Fri May 24, 2013 1:21 pm

Wow Zach, those are some close tolerances!! I couldn't get anything to fit that close if my life depended on it.

Jerry and his friend Big Mike were over my house last weekend. We talked teardrops and exchanged ideas for a good hour or more. I think they will be joining our group sooner rather than later because I can tell they are READY TO GO!!
Becky

Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby pitbullluvajrod » Fri May 24, 2013 6:18 pm

LOL, Miss Becky is sooo right. I saw first hand what a beautiful rig she has, and I want one that much more . Zach, your X-II is just that "X-treme" :thumbsup: . I was reading the calender, I saw the Shenandoah and Pokomoke gatherings posted. I'm pretty much gonna be sure to attend those.

Stay safe, Keep em' tween the lines,
Jerry S. :)
pitbullluvajrod
Teardrop Advisor

Postby wingloader » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:32 pm

Zach, I wish I could make things as well as you do. You are seriously AWESOME. I would love to see your baby in person, but I'm afraid I'd be too jealous. :shock:

The pics of the X-II make it look monstrous inside. You have really made use of the space.

Jealously yours,
Joe

PS...How close are you to Ridgely MD? I fly my hang glider there on occasion. If you are around that area I'd love to stop by and show you my work so you could feel superior... :lol:
--jack handy
wingloader
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals