"The X-II" 5-Wide Convertible Teardrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:51 am

toypusher wrote:Just an opinion of my own here. I am planning another teardrop build and will not use a converter. Everything will run off the battery and I will us a battery tender for when there is shore power to keep the battery charged up. It will be less expensive too.

Great minds think alike! I just used the 12v5A waterproof Battery Tender on my current trailer and it has worked flawlessly. I didn't even have an on-board battery - just used my tow vehicle battery.

Amazingly enough though, I found a WFCO8725 for only about $20 more than the 12V5A Battery Tender. I'd like to do some longer trips next year, and WFCO will be able to charge the onboard battery faster, and I know that I won't be any where near capacity when plugged into shore power.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Woodstramp » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:15 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:

The reason this next one developed into a trolley-top design is because I only found reasonably priced vinyl in widths of 54" and 60". I wanted to have a queen size mattress in this one, so neither of those widths would be enough. And I didnt want to have to use multiple pieces of vinyl and have them sewn together. The trolley top allows me to use the same width material as my first teardrop, which was only $12.99/yd.

Zach,

First off...love the new design. That new paint scheme will look sharp too. A twist on the other design (which was sharp too)

Ran across this post you made earlier about vinyl. You say you can get 54 and 60 inch widths in vinyl. Got a few questions....What are the lengths? Where do you get them? And is this embossed or flat sheets.

The reason I ask is because (to save weight on mine) I chose to paint the sides. Already, I can tell that this is not going to work out for my weather exposed TTT, long term. Been thinking about vinyl, but cannot find any un-embossed or in wide widths. Thanks.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:26 pm

Thanks Woods! The vinyl I use is marine grade vinyl fabric. I got mine from Joann Fabrics, which sells it 54" wide, and is available up to 10yds long.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/prod ... D=prd23669

Seattle Fabrics has 60" wide. Not sure what maximum length is available.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/vinyl.html

As for paint - check out Rustoleum High Performance Enamel, sold at Home Depot or Lowes. Mine is still glossy after two summers of lots of use.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Where is Doug Hodder at ? He would know ! :lol: :lol:

Found this one a bolt is 22 yards of material that should be about 14 1/2 running feet at 54" width!

http://www.fabricdirect.com/acatalog/Marine-Grade-Vinyl-off-white.html
Last edited by bobhenry on Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Woodstramp » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:22 am

Thanks for the info and links. Found out from the Joann one that they have a store not too far away. The 60 inch wide stuff would be better, but I think I could seam the 54 inch for my camper. Residing in vinyl will involve removing my door/windows/edge trim, but it will be worth it in the long run. Sounds like a plan for next Summer. I'll call to check the price this week.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:53 am

Woods - before you go and buy the stuff at Joann Fabrics, do a search online for "in-store" or "printable" coupons. You can often find 15% off coupons for there. :thumbsup:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Woodstramp » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks again, Zach.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:27 pm

Better yet, if you can wait for it, sign up for Joann's mailer. It takes about a month to get your first mailer; but, they give 40% and sometimes 50% off coupons with each mailing. You'll get one mailer each month.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Woodstramp » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:58 pm

thanks for the pointer on that sharon. Im also thinking about building a tent material awning for our ttt also.....need to check that joann place out.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Yuri4x4 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:58 am

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:

First things first: To be legal, if a camp site has shore power, it has to be GFCI protected. So your GFCI is probably a little overkill. The switch is overkill too. It's probably fine to keep both of them if you want, tho. The problem is, you want the GFCI before the switch if you do it. A GFCI works by comparing the current between the hot and neutral. All the GFCI does is protect you from becoming a path to ground. It's not going to protect that switch the way you have it now. If it were me, I would ditch them both and pick-up a portable GFCI. They are common on construction sites because OSHA requires them on power tools in wet environments. They look like a one-foot extension cord with a GFCI buttons. Simple, yet effective.

I don't really see anything else obvious...
Yuri4x4
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:58 am

I am going to say what I have often said before, it is better to have brakes and not need them than to need them and not have them.

I am under the tow weight for Compass Rose but I really felt the difference when I had a problem with the brakes headed down to Boogie in the Hills. It is control-ability and bad weather braking is where the big difference lies, and the cost difference is not great.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:50 am

Thanks Sharon! I'll look into that!

Thanks Yuri. That GFCI was just drawn in there for schematic purposes. I was planning on just getting on of those GFCI plugs from Lowe's. That switch is going to go away too.

SC - I was with a friend last night who is having a full race exhaust fabricated for his car. We went to check out the progress on the exhaust and it turns out that I know a welder. :twisted:

Do you have any more info on those flex-ride axles? Their site doesn't provide a ton of info. Guess I'll have to email or call them.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby kevingb » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:03 pm

Hey Zach... Looking good like the detail

I might have missed it but what are you using for RF switching? I have been working with arduino on mine so I can control by smart phone.

:thumbsup:
kevingb
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:37 pm

I had to search for that... never heard of it before. Takes me back to my electronics classes in college a few years ago though!

I plan on going with the same brand that I have on my teardrop now - Seco-larm. I just have a 2 channel now and it works great. Stepping up to the 4 channel for this build.

I'd definitely be interested in reading up on the Arduino!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:24 pm

Got rid of the shore power switch, and added some notes about possible battery configurations. I will wire for everything to be there, but will not install an RV battery right away.

Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals