"The X-II" 5-Wide Convertible Teardrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Moho » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:36 pm

I have one suggestion and it's from my opinion and experience with the electronics work I do. As you add more elements to an electrical system the chance of failure increases. I always create a worst case backup that can't fail.

The "weak link" in your design is the RF receiver. What I mean by weak link is the item with the greatest chance of failure for one reason or another. Be it receiver issue, transmitter issue, losing the transmitter, dead transmitter battery, etc. If this happened on the first day of a trip in the boonies where the local Radio Shack is non existent, a backup would be nice.

Personally I would put a small junction block before the receiver. I would do a fuse block after the receiver with an extra spade connection terminal for each circuit. Then worst case scenario in the event of problems you could have a couple of small jumper wires that you simply just plug in to bypass the receiver if there ever is a problem.

Granted losing cabin lights are not the end of the world, but having a simple fix option in the event of a problem would be nice.

My two cents :)
Moho
Teardrop Master

Postby Kharn » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:18 pm

Or just a bank of four SPDT switches to change from the RF receiver to straight 12v. Not the most elegant solution, but you're not fiddling with jumpers with a flashlight.
Kharn
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:50 pm

This is why I love the forum... great ideas!

I've never had an issue with the RF unit I have now, but Murphy's Law WILL show its ugly head at some point, and I do agree with you Moho, that the RF unit would most likely be the point of failure.

Back to the drawing board.... :thinking:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:56 pm

After some thought and some playing around, I decided that the only RF channel that really 'needed' a hardwired bypass is the interior lights. The galley will already have a separate hardwired light, the exterior lights aren't a necessity, and the other channel is just for accent lights.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! :thumbsup:
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Moho » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:58 pm

Nice, now the easy part.....installing it all :?

Wait....... what about a backup switch to bypass the spdt switch in case it went out, rofl, just kidding. nice work on the wiring
Moho
Teardrop Master

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:11 pm

I can't wait to have a trailer built to install it all in! Then I just have to be careful to not let the smoke out of any of the components. I hear they don't work when the magical smoke is released. :lol:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:23 pm

Instead of registering this trailer in PA (which was a PITA), I'm going to register it as a non-resident, with the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Supposedly this method is much easier than dealing with PA and their red tape.

I dialed (207) 624-9000, Ext. 52151 and almost immediately got a very friendly gentleman on the other end of the phone. I told him I was interested in registering a trailer as a non-resident, and that I also wished to have a vanity tag.

With a very upbeat tone, he replied "Sure, not a problem!"

He took down my name and address and said that he would drop an envelope with the necessary forms in the mail tomorrow.

I haven't picked up my trailer yet, but when I do, I'll be ready.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby grizz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:40 pm

Vanity plates..... I love them.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:15 pm

Not any actual build progress yet, but I did stop in at Harbor Freight after work tonight....

And I also ordered my WFCO-8725.
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:27 am

Zach,

You gotta be careful when going by a Harbor Freight store. They tend to suck you in and you end up buying a lot more stuff than what you came for. :lol:

All kidding aside, we look forward to your second build.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:19 am

aggie79 wrote:You gotta be careful when going by a Harbor Freight store. They tend to suck you in and you end up buying a lot more stuff than what you came for. :lol:

I know what you mean, Tom! I almost walked out with a 45 watt solar panel too!

Unfortunately the trailer kit is missing the coupler base, so I need to call HF and try to get them to send me the piece.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Zboom » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:14 pm

Hey Zack, did they rectify the coupler situation for ya? Like Tom looking forward tobyour build and the Keg :D
Zboom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:01 pm

Zboom wrote:Hey Zack, did they rectify the coupler situation for ya? Like Tom looking forward tobyour build and the Keg :D

After a half hour of frustration with non-English speaking folk, I finally was able to find a phone number that let me talk to an American. Within 5 minutes, he had my address and said that the part was available in the warehouse and would ship immediately.

Still working on the details of the keg :twisted:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:35 pm

A little preview of the once-hideous Harbor Freight frame....

Thats two coats of Rustoleum's "Hammered" paint, brushed on. I used the spray cans on the last trailer and it turned out alright, but the regular brush-on gets much better coverage.
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:58 am

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:A little preview of the once-hideous Harbor Freight frame....

Thats two coats of Rustoleum's "Hammered" paint, brushed on. I used the spray cans on the last trailer and it turned out alright, but the regular brush-on gets much better coverage.

Ohhhhh, that's purty Zach.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals