"The X-II" 5-Wide Convertible Teardrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:34 pm

Thanks Becky! The electrical stuff really isn't too complicated. My plan is just a little more involved than some others, because of the wireless stuff and and all the different LED's that I have planned for.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:47 pm

Oldragbaggers wrote:That is a very nice profile Zach. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Reading this journal makes me more aware than ever how much I really am scared sh!tl3ss to do the electrical. I have absolutely NO IDEA what all that stuff is. I will be endeavoring to keep it as simple as possible to give myself less opportunities to screw it up, but perhaps I should take a class at the community college next semester so I can at least understand the fundamentals.

Becky,

The electrical really can be simple. Run an extension cord to your surge protector.

That's what we did once...

see here... http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 463#850463

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:10 pm

Thanks Mike. So that just leaves me to figure out the battery to lights and fan. That's really all I need.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Spent all day today taking my layouts and measurements from AutoCAD and transferred them to sheets of plywood. Finally all of the major pieces for the X-II are cut!

The upper and lower galley bulkheads, the galley shelf and interior shelf, 6 curved spars, and the 4 pieces that will form the trolley-top section

Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Trentb » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:00 am

I see you did the tongue extension mod. How long of tubing did you go with? By the looks I'm guessing 8 foot?
Trentb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:10 am

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:but I'm still well under the max towing capacity for my car.

Thanks Danny! :thumbsup:

Your car is designed to stop with perhaps a 200# passenger in each seat and maybe #250 pounds in the trunk. A pickup perhaps a bit more. The towing capacity rating of modern cars and trucks might have more to do with emissions than their ability to stop.

If your trailer weighs more than about a third of your tow vehicle, you'd be wise to have brakes.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:18 am

Trentb wrote:I see you did the tongue extension mod. How long of tubing did you go with? By the looks I'm guessing 8 foot?

Close - 2 x 2 x 3/16 x 7'. Its bolted to the front two cross members, which leaves it sticking about 5' in front of the frame. Some people run their extensions the entire length of the frame.

eamarquardt wrote:Your car is designed to stop with perhaps a 200# passenger in each seat and maybe #250 pounds in the trunk. A pickup perhaps a bit more. The towing capacity rating of modern cars and trucks might have more to do with emissions than their ability to stop.

If your trailer weighs more than about a third of your tow vehicle, you'd be wise to have brakes.

Cheers,

Gus

Thanks Gus. Curb weight for my '05 Outback 3.0R is 3,545#. I think my loaded trailer will probably be around 1000-1100#. For my car, Subaru recommends brakes for towing anything over 1300#.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:38 pm

Got to work on my hatch tonight. Its really the only thing I can do at my apartment without my trailer being here. Some people will probably cringe at the thought of building a galley hatch without even having the sides attached to the trailer, but all the information that I need is in my AutoCAD drawings and 3D model.

I went to my friends house first and we chopped all the straight cross boards from 1x3 oak. Then I brought the pieces back to my apartment and started assembly.

In about 2 hours, I had a finished frame, and my quality control inspector gave his approval.

Its amazing how fast things can start to come together when you spend a couple months planning your build and going over every little detail.

Just wish I had a warm workshop that I could work on the entire trailer anytime I wanted to. Damn I miss my apartment from when I built my first teardrop. I'd probably be done by now. :lol:
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:33 pm

I am so jelly!

The workspace looks awesome... as does the door! Hope we run into each other this summer! Maybe I'll have #2 by then. :hammer:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:03 am

I have to say, Zach, once you take a notion to do something you certainly do not mess around!!
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:13 pm

You better get started Paul! June 23-25 is the Tearjerker Birthday Bash. Looks like NJ, Maryland, and Virginia Chapters are getting together outside of Thurmont, MD. Just something to think about! :D :D

Becky - I'm pretty sure I have some form of OCD. Once I start something I can't wait to get it finished. Not that I rush it, but I spend more time on it than I probably should. :?
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:21 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:You better get started Paul! June 23-25 is the Tearjerker Birthday Bash. Looks like NJ, Maryland, and Virginia Chapters are getting together outside of Thurmont, MD. Just something to think about! :D :D

I still have #1 to camp in. I'm putting those dates on my calendar.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:30 pm

Zach:

It looks like you have your dates and place wrong.... lol...

June 15th-17th Hookstown, Pa. Tearjerkers Liberty Bell,Buckeye and Mountaineer are having a 15 year birthday party to celebrate the founding of the tearjerkers. Come join the fun. Location is Raccoon Creek State Park, Hookstown, PA.This park has lots to do with easy access from the tri state area.We will be gathering around sites E1-30 loop,pet sites are in the F loop. Pot luck dinner at 6:00PM with birthday cake.

http://www.tearjerkers.net/new_forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4854
parnold
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:50 pm

Thats a different gathering on a different weekend, with a different 3 chapters (but still celebrating the Birthday Bash). And it would also be a lot further drive for you.

There isn't an individual thread yet for the Birthday Bash I mentioned, but its on the Chesapeake Chapter Events schedule. Its at Cunningham Falls, which is about 30 minutes from my house, as opposed to 4+ hours to the Hookstown Birthday Bash.

http://www.tearjerkers.net/new_forum/vi ... =13&t=5102
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:19 pm

NOW you tell me.. lol.. I just reserved a site at the western PA one for the weekend before. I can do both, but probably wouldn't arrive at the DE one until late Fri nite or Sat morning.
parnold
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals