"The X-II" 5-Wide Convertible Teardrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The X-II - 5/5/2013 - Galley Renovation

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:18 pm

Got the last thing checked off of my pre-sale to do list today!

Let me start with saying VINYL TILES SUCK.

The vinyl tiles that I had put on the galley counter looked great when I first installed them. But the constant change in temperature of the past year did not treat the tiles well. They had shrunk slightly because of the cold temps and were lifting at the edges. Someone who's buying a teardrop doesn't want to have to deal with that. So it needed "remodeled".

I pulled up the vinyl tiles the other weekend, and today was a good day to finish the job. First I had to heat up the shelf and the garage so that the contact cement would grab like its supposed to. Kerosene torpedo heater and Coleman lanterns. Such wonderful aromas!

Then I cut the Formica to fit the shelf, and adhered it to the shelf with contact cement. WOW that stuff is potent!

Everythings back together now, and I added some trim on the side of the counter just to dress it up a little. I should have just done this in the beginning, but I didnt realize Formica was so inexpensive. The 30"x96" piece that I ordered from Lowes was only $42.

So who wants to buy a freshly remodeled teardrop? Its literally better than new now! :twisted:
Zach

ImageImage
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Kharn » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:23 pm

Nice job, Zach.
The adhesive can be pretty potent. :?
Kharn
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:44 pm

Thanks John. The new build is definitely going to have some Formica in it! The stuff is actually pretty easy to work with :twisted:
Zach

ImageImage
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Re: "The X-II" 5-Wide Convertible Teardrop

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:46 am

Its been brought to my attention that many of the pictures have become un-linked. Its because of the way Facebook changes their system from time to time. I dont have time at the moment to go through the entire build and relink everything, so all the build pictures are available here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 4a1da07c83

Sorry for the inconvenience!!
Zach

ImageImage
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Build Journals