Hot Rod...Burning down the house!!!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: FX Sport, In with the big guys

Postby Prem » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:41 am

Chris,

Superb!

:thumbsup: :applause:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:14 am

I have been meaning to ask how do you feel the tandem axel compares to a single axle, do you find there is less trailer sway and I know about getting a flat in a pinch you can hike it along....but if you had the option to do it over, would you still choose a tandem as that is one of the things that I have been considering lately
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:31 am

Reduces tongue weight and help with bucking as the springs dampen the weight oscelation.

I really wanted a tiny 4x8 trailer frame that was for sale a couple years ago as it was equiped with tandems I thought it was just so Kool. Unfortunatly it sold before I got my paycheck in my pocket that week. :NC

And yes you can limp it home on 3 tires with a flat :thumbsup:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Martiangod » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:38 am

Tows like a dream. And i would buil tandem again, talked about a similiar single. But everyone says the tandems look too cool, i have to agree. It does add a couple hundred pounds to your build though.and an increase in cost, a single has a natural tendancy to follow, tandems need to be alighned properly. If you need to carry extra weight, cand go wrong on tandems
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby droid_ca » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:46 pm

thanks guy it will have to be something for me to ponder over...as my trailer seems to keep getting longer

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Re: FX Sport, Has landed

Postby Junkboy999 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:16 am

I was loaded for my move, only spot i could carry the wicker love seat: )

Ha hahaha I just got a good laugh. I forgot I ask about the grill looking thingy hehehehehe :lol:

I was thinking it was some new fangle cooking grill, Maybe a bug screen, or a portable mesh antenna death-ray.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Martiangod » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:44 pm

Gonna be workin on the fx over christmas break, awesome shop to work in tbis winter. I never planned for the trailer to e olve this far, now i,m thinkin and replanning and wireing is the biggest issue, think some paneling is gonna have to come off, and its all glued, damn. Have two power awnings going on and a permanent solar sysrem, when original plan was a lean it against the side setup. I cant urge eople enuff to run extra wire everywhere, you just dont know what you will want to add tomrrow like maybe a death ray or something

Chris

Martiangod
500 Club

Re: FX Sport, Solarized

Postby Martiangod » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Well, Got solarized.
Installed an 80 watt panel on friday, made a small treadplate deflector to keep the road wind out from under it

Then routed the wire down to my only interior wall and installed the Mark PV Controller/monitor

It was a trick, but had to use a fish tape to get the wire from there to the front of the trailer, but I managed without any further destruction

Pulled out the 2 24 group deep cycle batteries and replaced with 2 Magnacharge SLA - 12- 100 Sealed batteries, heavy little suckers at 66 lbs a piece. Hope this set up can keep me going.

Then it was on to the hitch mounted cargo carrier, let the mods begin.

shortened the plattform and turned it lengthways to have a step and ramp for entry, not certain if the ramp thing will work out or not, but it will give a place to carry the BBQ and lawn chairs.
One thing I aint much of a welder, especially with one of them 110 volt wire feeds, Grrrrr, weld, grind, weld again, grind even more... Then spray with textured undercoat....lol

Still not certain on the power awnings, window side is staying a manual, can't get enuff height out of the power awnings. Think I may still put one on the roadside, will have to duck to get under but will make it easy to close in for the outside shower......
Had a 30" RV Entry door, but the amount of madification I was going to have to make was too much at this time....Bummer, but I kinda like my homemade door anyhow.

Cost of latest add ons....FREEBEEE!!!!
I love Free. :beer:

Debating whether to mount the roof box I made for the truck/trip onto the roof and put a ladder on the trailer, could carry some extra stuff up there..Dunno. Still out on that one

Now to dream up some more chit.

Chris

Martiangod
500 Club

Postby droid_ca » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:46 pm

wow great update lots of stuff happening to your little trailer . I like the idea of the ramp might be able to use it for hauling bikes and what not or maybe golf clubs the solar panel is a good idea I'm still unsure how to do my setup, the charging unit that you used do you have any more info on it? as I'd like to look at getting on but I'm all lost when it comes to that stuff...Where did you get your batteries from? Were they a good price? Keep the great ideas coming thanks for sharing the pictures it helps those of us who are stuck on ideas you sure are making it look easy to keep adding to your trailer I'd add the box to the top and maybe reconfigure a rv ladder on the back of the trailer as well to access it or heck might be able to set up some chairs up top and see over the crowds

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Martiangod » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:23 pm

batteries where freebies. old stock, they sent a whole skid to the scrappies, grrrr, if only i'd had a place to store them, I would have paid scrap price for them, and they all tested good, juss about cried watching that happen :cry:

Chris

Martiangod
500 Club

Postby Martiangod » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:52 pm

Figured since the move was over, main purpose for the trailer will now be camping. A lack of storage was an issue.
Started to tackle that today and build some drawers under the pine counter. Going to make a shelf or something where I put the plug, for the good ole' C-pap...

This cushion set was up in the storeroom, thought I try them out,
Don't look too bad, might make an offer on them when the crew comes back

Now I'm debating again on the retrofit a 30" RV door into the back instead of the homemade one, lot of work but it may be worth it in the end....Lighter in weight also

Chris

Martiangod
500 Club

Re: FX Sport, Put your drawers on !!!

Postby Martiangod » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:53 am

Well I bit the preverbial bullet and did the door swap, what a chore that was, shrinking the door, door frame, screen door and the hole in the trailer.
Don't what I think of the outcome, It looks, well, like a trailer door :hammerhead:
Not shur if i'm in love with it or not, the homemade red door had some character.
Needs something but not sure, red paint, some treadplate a stripe,,,,hmmmm
Oh well Now if have to rebuild the back wall inside also or retrim or something, have 6 inches to make dissapear

Chris

Martiangod
500 Club

Re: FX Sport, 22 FT WIDE TTT !!!

Postby Martiangod » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:08 am

Got the power awning on the roadside.
Going to try and make a soft side walls for this roadside for the outside shower,
So with two 8 foot awnings and a 6.5 wide trailer I am now over 22 feet side t side 8)
Height ended up better then I thought on the power awning, just trying to decide to convert curbside to a power awn.

Chris

Martiangod
500 Club

Re: FX Sport, 22 FT WIDE TTT !!!

Postby Martiangod » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:14 pm

Got some more done today,
Got the awning wireing run and the switch set above the door in the panel I made last year
This is the roadside with the power awning closed

Finished the day working on a medicine cabinette behind the toilet, had a false wall there for plumbing the outside shower so its flush mounted, probably paint it textured black to set off the tread plate sliding doors

Main task for the day was redoing the sitting, hated the gaucho and hated not having a dinnete so built out to the cabbinettes and turned the seating sideways.
This made some much needed storage space under the seats as the cross base is full of water tank and wireing and hot water heater.

I treadplated the front of the base front cab and trunk carpeted the bottoms of the seats, piano hinged the seat lids also
Little snug left side but I can squeeze past the counter to sit, so wifey, half my weight should have no trouble other side is wide open so my slender profile has no trouble there.

Cushions are mine now, for a donation to next years employee party fund and they fit the width perfect

Will have to get a 74 x 14 x 5 cushion made to complete the bed to the front wall.
Should work out ok, if we want the table up, flip the blankets back onto the 14" and make up the table.
The table was a whole different story.
Knew I had to make a table top to fit a 29 x 30 opening didn't have any material and it was going to get put on hold. Was searching around the scrap pile and there was an RV exterior door that had been crow barred open, measured the width and it was perfect to drop in and sit on the bench edges, So seeing I was all practiced up on cutting down RV doors the operation began, its foam core with fiberglass top and pebbled filon on the inside, its a beamed door so its plenty strong, threw in a flush floor socket and base, so $30 in parts, may paint it its rather bright against the weathered greys and manderine, but cleans real easy.
Once that was complete I sat at the table and had a coffee, little dark, i'd put no lights in the front, but i knew where the power wire was for the vent fan so I cut the ceiling and installed a light over the table.

I'll probably keep this one incandecent and not LED because I have trouble reading or playing cards with LED

Going to leave the curbside awning manual for now, its adjustable for height and its already there, so the remaining power hardware I have can stay with the shop for now. :twisted:
Just have to clean up the medicine cabintte and put her back outside and clean my service bay. Been really awesome working inside this time instead of out in the snow like last winter :beer:

Chris

Martiangod
500 Club

Re: FX Sport, Gaucho gone, dinette built!!!

Postby droid_ca » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:35 pm

Job well done keep up the good work I'm running low on ideas :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:twisted: :twisted: 8) :twisted: :twisted:

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals