The "Slowmobile" Is under way! update 6/27/12

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The "Slowmobile" Is under way! update 6/27/12

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:15 am

Since I don't spend much time camping in very cold weather I don't see the value in the insulation. To me it seems to add weight and extra building time. My floor is 1/2" and no insulation. I have an 8" mattress in there. You will get lots of different opinions on insulation on this board. But for me, I have done both and can't justify the extra work and money for insulation. Enjoy your build and don't stress out to much! :lol:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby TrailerEd » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:34 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:Since I don't spend much time camping in very cold weather I don't see the value in the insulation. To me it seems to add weight and extra building time. My floor is 1/2" and no insulation. I have an 8" mattress in there. You will get lots of different opinions on insulation on this board. But for me, I have done both and can't justify the extra work and money for insulation. Enjoy your build and don't stress out to much! :lol:

Not gonna stress! This is fun and exciting for me. I am looking forward to getting started soon!
I agree that the insulation process seems to add a fair amount of work and money. I too am not much for camping in extreme cold. Just getting to old for it I guess.
Thanks for all your input.
Ed
Do it Right, or Don't do it at All.
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby willrothfuss » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:50 pm

Hi Woodbutcher,

Really enjoyed your build. As an old NYC custom cabinetmaker myself, your trailer is about as close to what I would build as possible. I would want to build something light, but I'm not really keen on the idea of a "foamy". Your camper is beautiful. I have a few questions:

1. Do you know the dry weight of the camper?
2. How has the trailer itself performed with the new larger wheels and shocks. I notice you did not replace the axle. That trailer looks a little different than others I have seen- angle stock instead of tubing.
3. How did you finish the interior of the cabin? Any photos of that?
4. This may be too much work at this point, but a materials and source list is really useful. In your case, this is such a classy build I think it would be a great benefit. In particular windows, door hardware, trim, fenders, lights, etc. (I didn't see how you weatherstripped the doors)

Again, fabulous camper!! Will
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson
willrothfuss
Teardrop Builder

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:57 am

Hi Will. The trailer has well over 20K miles on it since I built it. No issues at all. All my trailers have a tongue box to hold all the dirty stuff. So I needed to add the angle iron to support it and beef up the tongue at the same time. I did need to add 1" wheel spacers to get the tire out far enough to be able to cover the frame with wood. I don't like seeing the frame.
I have never weighed the trailer, My guess is between 800-1000 lbs. I hope to weigh it before I sell it. :lol:
There is no material list. I used 1" soft Maple for all the frame work. Cabinet shelves and sliding headboard doors were 1/4" Birch plywood. The cabinet storage doors are 1/2" Baltic Birch. The roof was 2 layers of 1/8th" Baltic birch with the joints staggered. Roof spars were soft maple to I believe. The skin is mahogany that had a Birch back which worked out well.
Windows and door latches and the galley props and lock came from http://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/
Hinges were from http://www.marinepartdepot.com/
Lots of the smaller stuff I found on Ebay. Fenders came from Farm N Fleet, they are common fenders sold in most farm/trailer related places.

Here is my current build. While it is different, it might offer a few suggestions for you. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=68091

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Good luck!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby willrothfuss » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:25 pm

Thanks for the reply. Love it!! looks very much like a cabin on the inside. The inside frame is maple too? By mahogany, I assume you mean real mahogany from your cabinet business supplier and not luan? Did you work from rough sawn maple any joint and plane it yourself? I am leaning toward a real adirondack woody with canvas and wood.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson
willrothfuss
Teardrop Builder

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:49 pm

Frame work is soft maple I bought in 5/4 and planned it down. The Mahogany is cabinet grade 1/4", not luan. Most all the joints are Kreg Pocket screws with some biscuits here and there. The interior finish is Conversion Varnish sprayed on. It allowed me to do all the interior finishing in a few hours.

Steve
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby willrothfuss » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:14 pm

Hey thanks. I went to the marinepartdepot link and they are having a mad sale ends Monday. Stuff 75% off. Don't know if you knew that.
willrothfuss
Teardrop Builder

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:55 am

I did not know about the sale at Marine Parts Depot. After my current build is finished I swear I will never build another trailer. But I said that after each of them, so who knows. They sell good stuff and if you buy from them they usually send emails when sales are going.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Previous

Return to Build Journals