Starting again for the last time.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Starting again for the last time.

Postby FlyerSkip » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:19 pm

Here we go again. We had some crazy life :? around here but it's slowed down. Now back to the trailer. Here is the donor trailer. http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1058&image_id=87923 This is 5x8 so it is bigger than the first one. My wife poo pooed that one. And I'm glad. I think I'll cut out the expanded metal on the bottom of the trailer before I put on the floor. That will cut some on the weight and keep it from collecting mud. And then some larger tires.
I don't know what the trailer will look like in the end. I am sure it won’t be round. I want to put a kayak rack on top and I think a flat top would be better for that. It's a work in progress so it's up for change at any moment. I tend to just do what feels good at the time and let it grow into what it wants to be. 8) +
But now we have a plan to start and some $ set aside fpr it. So lets get started shall we? :twisted:
A one legged duck swims in a circle.
FlyerSkip
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Starting again for the last time.

Postby aggie79 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:13 am

FS,

You've got a real nice base for your TD:

Now it's time for sawdust to start flying!

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby FlyerSkip » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:28 pm

Hey y'all (dont laugh thats the way we talk here in Oklahoma) :D I was thinking of leaving the expanded metal on the trailers floor there. Thought it would help protect the underside from damage when I'm off the paved road. Any thought on that? Keep it or cut it out? :roll:
FlyerSkip
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Martiangod » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:53 pm

I think your original thought on collecting mud is correct, but if you put a layer of coroplast on the bottom of floor then you could just reach under there with hose and wash off, coroplast is cheap and light. I'm going to do my bellypan with coroplast
The mesh will add a lot of strength to your floor and rigidity of the trailer
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby FlyerSkip » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:09 pm

Here's what's coming now. :o I'm ordering a longer axle so I can dump the tiny 12" wheels and put on a set of 15" wheels. This will give me more clearance help with rolling over ruts and bumps when I leave the paved part of the road behind. I will also be taking the trailer over to Dad's this weekend (300 miles one way) so we can add some support to the tounge. I know it's a long way to go just to do what I can do at home. BUT... it's a good excuse to go see Dad. Works for me :beer: . I'll get some pictures on here when the work on the trailer is done. Besides Dad's buddy Max over there in Arkansas has a lot of old steel rims. I'm hoping to find some cool vintage rims. :twisted:
FlyerSkip
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FlyerSkip » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:20 pm

(I hope I have this right and the pictures come out) :roll:
As I last left you I was heading to Arkansas to work on the trailer Image. So here is the trailer as we start the build :oops: Image Sure looks different don't it? :shock:
Well, as it turns out my Dad wants to have a trailer too. And he wants us to have them looking the same. But he thinks (and I agree) that by starting with these we will be that much farther down the road to finishing and end up happier in the long run. The wife agrees too so here we are. One of the nicer things about these is that there is room to sit upright in them with plenty of head room. Now I have two of these in my yard.$1500 each at Northern Tool.
The plan Is to put a bulkhead in the rear and add some doors and windows to the sides. :worship: I know it wont look as vintage as a true teardrop but it will serve well as we still build the traditional tear on the origingal trailer at our leisure. (I like leisure) So, Next weekend Dad will be here and we will get started in full. Until then I will be stripping off the stickers on the front and rear and pulling out the paneling on the inside so it can be varnished (The wood in it has such nice grain to it that we decided to use it as is, just varnish it.) and the floors can be tiled. We are heading in the right direction. :applause:
FlyerSkip
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FlyerSkip » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:47 pm

Here is where we are now. 90684.All gutted and ready for insulation flooring and all the other stuff. This is what it looked like when it got home. 90686 all pretty and waiting. I did find these gaps when I removed the interior paneling. 90685 :shock: There is one on each side of the trailer at the front corner. I will fill these with foam before I do anything else. :roll: I hope to get some of the insulation in this weekend but it's calling for storms all weekend long. The fun part you can't see is the other trailer sitting next to this one. My Dad's trailer is being built at the same time as this one so everything is double the fun. :R Strange how he lives 300 miles away and he's trailer is being built here alongside of mine. Guess who gets to do the work. :cry: And when I ask him what he wants he just says ' You do what you think is best I trust you." :roll: Holy crap no pressure there.
FlyerSkip
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Martiangod » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:43 pm

FlyerSkip wrote:Here is where we are now. 90684 You do what you think is best I trust you." :roll:.

Time for a keg n tap along one wall, and a urinal in a closet, no preasure there

Should be fun though, one for test fitting and the other one everything will be done right cause the mistakes are made on the first one

So which trailer do you get to keep, the test trailer or the second go round no mistake trailer?
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:06 pm

And we all hope that there is no chance that ol' dad will ever see this thread.

:o :oops: :frightened: :NC :o
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Build Journals