The Tomabago Tear Drop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Tomabago Tear Drop

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:42 pm

Sounds like a great trip, despite the tire troubles. Thanks for the pics! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:43 am

That first pic looks like Soda Dry Lake. The rockpile sure has grown since I was there! :shock:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:38 pm

capnTelescope wrote:That first pic looks like Soda Dry Lake. The rockpile sure has grown since I was there! :shock:

Yep, that's Soda lake.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

The Tomabago Tear Drop

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:32 am

Glamping in Borrego Springs,
In what's become an annual event, my son and I took his best friend and his BF's Dad on a weekend camping trip. Since the TD is only good for two people, we stayed at the Palm Canyon RV resort in Borrego Springs. The park had canned ham trailers, so our friends stayed in one of those, and we ended up in a full hook up spot, with 35 ft RVs on either side of us. The park is nice, clean, mainly quiet. They have a small store and a nice western style restaurant. We didn't eat there this time, but we have before and the food was very good.
This was the first time out for the pie iron. I made smore pies and apply pie. It was good, but is a little tricky. I also experimented with some biscuit dough... I won't be doing that again.

Here is a picture of our camp.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424183356.499311.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424183356.499311.jpg (91.73 KiB) Viewed 2648 times

The shade over the galley is a Spinaker SUV shade by texsport. It was a new addition, that I like very much. It provided a nice shady cover over the galley, and could provide rain protection if needed, and the price was about $40 with shipping.
The TD saw about 150 miles on this trip, with about 30 miles off road,
Tom
Shade.jpg
Shade.jpg (49.92 KiB) Viewed 2698 times
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:04 pm

Another Trip under the belt. Its the first weekend of Spring Break, so I took my son back out to the Anza Borrego Desert. The forecast called for highs of 100F, so I dug my A/C unit out of moth balls and modified my bulkhead for the weekend. Normally I put my Waeco fridge on a shelf that pulls out. For this weekend, I pulled the Waeco out and put the A/C unit on the shelf, and cut a hole for it to stick through into the interior. The Fridge just sat on the ground for this trip. I decided to point us at Aqua Caliente park again. They have several pools, we got the last spot ( full hook up) available, and it was conveniently located near the bathroom. ( my son said it was the nicest RV park bathroom he's ever been in!). We only spent about 5 minutes in the pool, as we went exploring in the morning, and visited an indian village site ( off of Mine Wash Road and highway 78) and a spring that once provided water to the Railrood ( Dos Cabesas spring off of Mortero Wash Rd). We brought the new puppy for his first trip. He did pretty well, except he wanted to chase away any dogs that came by our site, so he spent the whole time on leash. I'll post some photos once I get them from my son, who was our photograper for the weekend.
Tom
The TD saw about 200 miles on this trip.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sun May 03, 2015 8:36 am

Another trip this weekend. My sons best friend wanted to go camping, so his parents rented travel trailer and got a spot at an RV park about 2 miles from home. "Camp land by the bay" . This was the most expensive park I've stayed at, even with the 20% discount for living near by. The kids had a great time riding bikes, going to the skate park, swimming in the pool. The Staff does a good job of supplying activities , and everything is in good shape. They also have a beach and marina where you can rent boats, paddle boats and the like.
TD saw 2 miles of travel.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430660174.503079.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430660174.503079.jpg (201.5 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430660160.125500.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430660160.125500.jpg (195.18 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Graniterich » Sun May 03, 2015 9:34 am

Where did you go? I live in mission viejo
Graniterich
Donating Member

The Tomabago Tear Drop

Postby Socal Tom » Sun May 03, 2015 10:03 am

Graniterich wrote:Where did you go? I live in mission viejo

Sa n Diego. I guess I forgot that part,
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:57 am

Our annual trip to Borrego Spring. New paint job, new roof and new hatch.ImageImage
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:26 pm

IMG_1209[1] (640x480).jpg
Camped at the Beach
IMG_1209[1] (640x480).jpg (177.48 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
Its been a slow year, but we managed to squeeze a trip in during the summer. 6 months ago I reserved a spot at Carlsbad state beach in San Diego. Only 22 miles from home, but it it was still camping! Of course this ended up being the coldest Labor Day weekend I can remember. We went up around 8 pm friday night. I avoided the traffic that way, and I've been a bit lax on packing, so that's how it went. Since the weather was supposed to be cool in the am, we decided to make use of our Legoland passes, and we went there about 30 minutes after the opened, and we stayed until about 2. Then the plan was to go back to the beach and go for a swim. Unfortunately my son tripped walking to the car at legoland, and hurt his knee, so climbing the stairs down to the beach was out. We ended up coming home on Sunday, we aren't a huge beach family so two days was enough. We will probably do again next year on a normal weekend in August.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby TBuilder » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:56 am

Thanks for keeping us all updated, looks like so much fun!
TBuilder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:43 pm

+1, thanks for the update! :thumbsup:

Did I miss something; why the new roof and hatch?
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:11 pm

KCStudly wrote:+1, thanks for the update! :thumbsup:

Did I miss something; why the new roof and hatch?

Last summer it was parked under a metal awning. Apparently it would condense moisture and drip it on the roof right at the galley hatch. some seeped in and ate away at the galley cross member and part of the side wall. I went a head and replaced the whole roof, since it had some cosmetic issues anyhow, ( as did the galley hatch). The new roof looks much nicer, and should be much more water tight. The galley hatch is lighter and I recut the side pieces to it fits tighter to the sides when latched. I lost several months of camping doing the repairs, but it resulted in fixing some things that had annoyed me for quite a while. My son picked the color, I may add another color to make it pop, but for now it it what it is.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:48 am

:thumbsup: Looks good. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

The Tomabago Tear Drop

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:17 am

It’s been a while since I wrote a trip report. Got back yesterday from Blair Valley in the Anza Borrego desert. It’s a dispersed camping area, I.e. boon docking. I haven’t done that over a year. Weather was great, high about 80F, low of 47 by my digital thermometer. I went solo, except for a small terrier, Chef. He got me up every two hours during the night, so this may be his last trip. I think he missed his Pug playmate. The only negative were the bees. They were hunting water, so anything damp attracted them, I finally set a bowl with a wet sponge out 20 yards away so they would leave me a lone.
Bees
Chef and Lala

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals