Rockhopper - Solutions!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Rockhopper - spars in!!!

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:18 am

mikeschn wrote:The back end is going to get finished off like the Escape Hatch Winter Warrior...

For the inside, I am thinking something like Andrew's Compact design...

Mike...

Man you have lots of head room in the back half of the trailer. Very nice and it looks like your folding door is going to be nice and sturdy. What is the reason for have a second little side door? It looks like those in bed can get out of bed and stand up. The side door appears to simply be a remnant from making teardrops.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Rockhopper - spars in!!!

Postby starleen2 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:15 am

StandUpGuy wrote:Man you have lots of head room in the back half of the trailer. Very nice and it looks like your folding door is going to be nice and sturdy. What is the reason for have a second little side door? It looks like those in bed can get out of bed and stand up. The side door appears to simply be a remnant from making teardrops.

I can't answer for Mike "why" for the door, but I can answer from my experience with the Ladybug build. Had I put a door in the side, I could have entered the ladybug WITHOUT raising the hatch. There were time that I wished I could have entered in the side door and camped for the night - without raising the hatch - then pull out early in the morning to continue the journey. Or. . .I'd forget to load something and I would have to raise the hatch and enter through the back door. If I ever built another type of raised hatch WW - then it would definitely have a door on the side! Just from my experience only. . . :D

starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Re: Rockhopper - doors cut out!!!

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:15 pm

I guess that makes sense but his pop top looks pretty easy to open.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:55 pm

Besides what'a already been mentioned, two doors are always a good idea because:
1) If a bear tries to get in one door, you can run out the other. :lol:
2) If there is a fire in the kitchen, you don't have to run by it to get out
3) If you store it in the garage, you don't have to pull it out of the garage and lift up the roof to get into it.
4) If someone is getting out of the shower (if there is one), someone entering or exiting won't necessarily cause an unexpected flasher or mooner. :o
5) The extra door adds a lot of extra ventilation.

If you look at bruce osborn's boxcar, you'll see that his has the same type of set up:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21234&start=120

Maybe he'll chime in later with some more reasons.

Professionally manufactured RV's usually have two exits. It's just that they make one of them an emergency exit window.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:14 pm

Today's progress:

1) put in a roof panel

2) framed in the doors with the weather strip framing

3) worked on the bed platform

4) put in the famous Rayvillian table

More tomorrow!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby High Desert » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:25 pm

Looking great Mike. I see that you've brought in the WW Master for a full consult. You two have more WW build experience than everyone else combined I do believe.
You guy's are rockin' that build now! 8) Must have more pics :twisted:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Rockhopper -famous table installed!

Postby Ned B » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:02 am

Mike, that rockhopper is looking great, tad low on the headroom in front though isn't it? :lol: Really like the shape overall though, and both the doors at the front, as well as the raised roof section at the tail. Subscribed and following along with the build!
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:28 pm

Okay, here's todays pics...

First of all we glued in the lower front panel. Then we were able to glue and screw in the bed platform from underneath the trailer. Then we built all the boxes and the lids which make up the bed platform. Final fitted the table.

Then we glued in the upper front panel and cut the hole for the window.

Oh yea, we trimmed up the fenders!

Oh, about the door question, the main reason is for access to the pass through and the storage area under the bed. The second reason is for access to the top of the bed while the hatch is closed, because we store stuff on top of the bed too. The last reason is that the door serves as an emergency exit. Those were some good guesses Sharon!
Here's a picture of the passthrough!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:47 pm

that looks wonderful mike!
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:58 pm

WOW! Three doors and lots of storage space! :thumbsup:
You dogs like it, too! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Rockhopper - bed/table installed!

Postby kinto » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:35 pm

awesomeness mike! :thumbsup:

just outta curiosity, how high up is the bed from the ground outside? are you gonna put a step on the side or anything?

kent
:beer:
Is a hippopotamus just a really cool opotamus?

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Re: Rockhopper - back wall installed!

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:17 pm

Only had a partial day today, because most of the neighborhood is having their parties today. (Ours is next weekend!) Anyways, we were able to get the back wall installed, and then we started putting poly on the inside.

Here's what the back wall looks like...

I wanted to show you a close up of the wall where the two halves are hinged. Notice how much further outboard the top wall is? When then top wall is folded down, it'll rest on the edge of the side wall.

Mike...

P.S. Kent, the top of the cushions are 34 1/2" from the ground. That's like trying to get up on your kitchen counter. Not an easy task. We'll have a milk crate that we can use as a stepping stool, but the main plan is to use the back door!
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby starleen2 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:53 pm

Mike - one thing you might consider a rain diverted for the side doors - seeing that if the hatch is raised and the hing is close proximity to the door - I can see runoff going to the door area. I had to put them on the Ladybug over the windows for the same reason. Not an Issue if your going to camp under a tent - but. . . . . . you never know
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby High Desert » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:43 pm

Thanks for the detail shots on the rear wall Mike. Looks like there is going to be a lot of room in there! 8)
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:23 am

The wall looks great mike. Your one step closer. what's next doors or the roof. No wait you still have to put in the rest of the cabinets to support the side walls, I'd guess that would be next.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals