Build journal for 6.5' X 10' TTT

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Build journal for 6.5' X 10' TTT

Postby mustangcats » Wed May 30, 2012 6:50 pm

I've been busy working on my TTT. This is the first time I've attempted such a project, so I'll have to see if things continue to go well. I had a local shop make the trailer frame for me. It was a little pricey compared to what most of you pay for the trailer frames, but this one is well built with a 3500 pound axle, and has electric brakes and a break away system. I had it built with the wheels inside the frame, as you can see in the attached photos. Building the side walls was a bit of a challenge since I didn't have the most ideal set up and working conditions. With the help of some friends, we were able to hoist the walls up on the frame without any major problems. The long Memorial Day weekend gave me plenty of time to get most of the trailer enclosed. I will put aluminum sheet siding on the sides and will need a helper to handle the 4 X 10 sheets. For the roof I am using a rubber roof and will install that after the siding. There will be 3 windows and a door and I still need to cut the openings for those. Once the outside is weather proof, I can turn my attention to the inside. The bathroom will have a tub (24 x 32), a sink and a permanently mounted toilet. The "kitchen" will have a small sink, refrigerator, and microwave. For a stove, I am going to use a small butane burner. There will be a small dinette and for sleeping will use a twin size memory foam mattress system. It looks like everything will just fit! :) The trailer will be wired for both 12 volt DC and 110 volt AC . As soon as I get more work done, I will post more pictures.

mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Re: Build journal for 6.5' X 10' TTT

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed May 30, 2012 9:24 pm

Lookin good! You have a great start on your trailer. Have fun and keep posting pictures, cause we love to follow along.

Steve
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Wed May 30, 2012 10:13 pm

Yes we need photos and drawings too!!

Looking good so far.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mustangcats » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:21 am

I'm still making progress, although it seems to take a long time to do even the littlest things. Putting on the siding is not easy for one person. Those 4 x 10 sheets of .040 aluminum are hard to handle. But with a little ingenuity and a few clamps, I've been able to position the siding long enough to get some screws started to hold it in place. Last night I pretty much finished up one side and was able to get the door installed. I still need to cut out the window opening in the upper left and fit a piece of siding over the door...and then it's on to the other side. After the siding is on, I can glue the rubber roof in place. Then I'll be able to work inside and not be hampered by the weather or lack of daylight. I'm hoping to have the outside done by the end of this week. Someone asked about drawings or plans...there are none. I am doing everything from my head and adjusting things as I go.
Attachments
DSC04513.JPG
DSC04513.JPG (59.83 KiB) Viewed 5074 times
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby mustangcats » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:48 pm

Tonight I had a friend help me put some of the siding up. It's just too hard for one person to handle those 4 x 10 sheets of aluminum siding and get them into position. We also cut the openings for the windows, although one of the cuts was not too accurate and I will have to do some repair work to cover my mistake :oops: To save time and get the most done while I had the help, I just used a minimum amount of screws to hold the siding in place and need to go back and secure it better and get rid of the waviness. I have the rubber roof lying on top and would like to have a third person available to help glue it down. I've not put on a rubber roof before and I don't wan't to mess it up.Two people might be able to do it, but an extra set of hands would be even better, especially if something went wrong. Then it's full speed ahead to complete the inside.
Attachments
DSC04515.JPG
DSC04515.JPG (123.03 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
DSC04514.JPG
DSC04514.JPG (143.58 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby mustangcats » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:20 pm

I'm still making progress, although it is not going as fast as I had hoped. I wanted to finish up the siding this weekend, but it was so windy that it was hard to hold onto the pieces. I bought a sheet of diamond plate to put on the front. Today the wind was even worse...it was a very strong wind that just wouldn't let up. I did get the windows put in and today made a trip to Menards to get some supplies. Picked up a 48" counter top for the "kitchen"(will probably only have room for 40" of it), bought pex plumbing and fittings, a stainless steel bar sink for the "kitchen" and several other items. While in the store I was looking around for something to use for the outside corner edge molding and I think I found something that will work perfectly. It's the aluminum trim that is used when installing carpeting and flooring. I can't remember what it is called, but it came in 8' lengths and had a 90 degree corner bend. There were several colors available, although they didn't have white. I'll be sure to take photos after I install it so you can see what you think about it. This week I plan to work on the electrical wiring and plumbing and also get the fixtures installed in the bathroom.
Attachments
DSC04517.JPG
DSC04517.JPG (59.39 KiB) Viewed 4947 times
DSC04516.JPG
DSC04516.JPG (58.74 KiB) Viewed 4947 times
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:45 pm

things do take time but while it seems endless doing it right the first time makes for a happy camper.

nice build and you are doing a great job.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mustangcats » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:17 pm

I'm still busy working on the trailer...haven't given up yet! I keep thinking to myself that the hardest part is behind me and what needs to be done is easier but time consuming work. With the help of a friend I finally glued the roof down but still need to secure it at the edges with trim. The siding is almost done. Over the weekend I framed in the area for the bathroom. The next time consuming jobs will be the plumbing and electrical. I always have a problem with plumbing because I never have the right fittings. Today I started framing the base cabinet for the kitchen and also the cabinet for the bathroom sink. My cabinetry skills are very crude, so I'll have to do my best to make them look good. Maybe I'll start out simple and after I see how everything works, go back later and remodel everything.

Now on to the :pictures: !
Attachments
DSC04521.JPG
view of back of trailer. The sofa/bed combination will go across the back. I started building the frame today and was making good progress until I ran out of lumber. I still need to frame around the windows.
DSC04521.JPG (60.8 KiB) Viewed 4839 times
DSC04519.JPG
layout of the bathroom. Everything fits and it's nice and cozy! I wanted to put the toilet where the sink is, but because of the trailer framing directly underneath, I wouldn't have been able to mount the holding tank in that location.
DSC04519.JPG (61.24 KiB) Viewed 4839 times
DSC04522.JPG
Here is an updated picture of the front of the trailer. I added a sheet of diamond plate to prevent road debris from damaging the front of the trailer.
DSC04522.JPG (59.97 KiB) Viewed 4839 times
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:29 pm

Really a nice size trailer. I look forward to your next installment!
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mustangcats » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:25 pm

Worked on the trailer nearly every day this past week and am making slow but steady progress. One of the big accomplishments was to finally get the remaining part of the rubber roof glued down and installing trim around the edges of the roof and edges of the trailer. The exterior is nearly complete. I have run most of the wiring and have been getting the bathroom in shape. The tub is in place and the walls around the tub are now ready for the installation of tub surround material. I also started "buttoning up" the front of the trailer by insulating with 1" styrofoam blue board. One of next steps is to run the plumbing. I'm using 1/2 inch pex tubing. Very soon I'll begin the process to get the trailer titled and registered so I can get plates. I need to have a DOT investigator look at the trailer and make sure it meets the requirements to be used on the highway. I also need to show receipts for items used to build the trailer (I think they are looking for whether or not sales tax was paid on the items) and also that I actually own the parts used to build the trailer and that nothing (especially the chassis) is stolen. Once everything is OK'd, the DOT will send the completed paperwork to my county courthouse and then I can go there to get the title, registration and plates.

Now for a couple of :pictures:
DSC04524.JPG
Bathroom work in progress
DSC04524.JPG (59.41 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
DSC04525.JPG
Kitchen area with water tank below the counter
DSC04525.JPG (59.65 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
DSC04526.JPG
Some of the framework for the sofa/bed
DSC04526.JPG (58.84 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby Martiangod » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:21 am

lokkin good so far, 6.5 x 10 makes for a good size to sqeeze stuff in. And your moving along nicley
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby mustangcats » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:05 pm

Update for July 11, 2012.

I'm still busy trying to get the trailer done...I plan to use it on my vacation at the end of this month. The plumbing has been a nightmare, but I finally have figured out the combination of pieces to get the job done. Most of the electrical wiring has been done, so one of the next steps is to finish putting up the wall paneling. Since this is a "learn as I go" project, I have made a lot of mistakes and done a lot of learning. One of the recent setbacks was when I discovered that the holding tank I bought to use as a black water tank was not going to leave room for a gray water tank the size I wanted. So for now I am going to scrap the idea of having a black water tank system and have bought a porta potty to use as the toilet, rather than a permanent one. My gray water tank will now only be 10 gallons, so I'll have to limit my water usage. Tomorrow I take it to a scale to have it weighed because the DOT investigator is coming Friday to look at my trailer...and hopefully give his seal of approval. I don't think he will find anything wrong with it. I need to weigh it because in Iowa a trailer that is 2000 pounds or less doesn't need a title. I figure it will be a little over that amount, but I hope not by much since my goal was to keep it around 2000 pounds. Since it is only 79" wide, I confirmed with him that I do not need marker lights...just the brake lights, tail lights, turn signal lights, license plate light and reflectors on the back. I did hitch it up to my pickup tonight and took it for a short drive to see how it pulled, and it seemed to do well. I will check back in after meeting with the DOT guy to report how things went and also try to get some updated photos of the progress.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby mustangcats » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:58 pm

Update for 7/13/2012.

Yesterday I took my trailer to a nearby scale and had it weighed. It was a very nice digital scale, they gave me a weight ticket and didn't charge a thing. It weighed 1700 pounds and my goal was to keep it around 2000 pounds, so I was happy with the results. I still have a few things to add to the trailer, but I estimate that it shouldn't be more than a couple hundred pounds.

Today the DOT investigator looked at my trailer. I was expecting someone in a state DOT vehicle...instead he came in a car with no markings and regular plates. He had a gun in a holster and a badge...he told me his job is to investigate motor vehicle theft, fraud, identity theft, etc., so I guess he can have a rather dangerous job. Anyhow his main interest was to make sure my trailer wasn't made from a stolen frame and that it had the proper lighting. He then went back to his car and put the information into the computer and a few minutes later gave me a paper to take to the treasurer's office so I could get plates for the trailer. Because it is a travel trailer it will have a title even though it weighs less than 2000 pounds. The last thing he did before he left was put a sticker on the tongue with the state issued vin number and he also stamped the vin number on the tongue.

This weekend I hope to get most of the work done on the trailer and plan to take it to a nearby park next weekend for a trial run...before I take it on a vacation trip the end of the month.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby mustangcats » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:55 am

I went to the courthouse on Wednesday to get the title, registration and plates for the trailer. Title fee was $25 and registration through August 2013 was $28 for a total of $53. For travel trailers the annual plate fee is .30 per square foot, so for my 78 square foot travel trailer the annual fee will be $23. Tonight I will finish the plumbing and work on the pull-out bed frame. I'm waiting on the 12 volt rocker switches so I can complete the electrical wiring and still plan to take the trailer to an area campground this weekend for a trial run. Sorry there aren't any new photos, but I work on it late every night and then it is too dark to get good pictures.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby pappaw » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:47 am

Thats a nice rig. :thumbsup:

Glad you got your DOT thingies. :twisted:

I found out too, that the plumbing, holding tanks, etc, take up so much space. :poop:

Good luck on your finishing. ;)

Cheers :beer:
Image Cheers from Granny, Pappaw, and Cocoa (the Dachshund) Image
pappaw
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Build Journals