Kamp King last pics, journal is complete.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Kamp King update 9/1/2013

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:22 pm

Doug your "can do it attitude" is an inspiration to all of us.
You work the problem until you come up with a simple solution. :thumbsup:
That's quite the skate board you got there.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby campmaster-k » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:59 pm

Doug - :bowdown:

And thats all I have to say about that.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby High Desert » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:06 pm

"If you can't raise the bridge, lower the river"

Way to go Mr Hodder.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby zfarina » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:14 pm

Very cool camper.

This build has a lot if neat details and was a pleasure to read.
zfarina
Teardrop Builder

Postby AlgoDan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:17 am

Wow awesome build, they don't come from the factory built like this. As many have said you are an inspiration to the current and future builders. You had a vision and went with it, beauty job Doug. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Here now but Camping later.............Dan

Build Journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54681
102535 103199 105576
From .................Paper...........................To.......................... Pavement............................
AlgoDan
The 300 Club

Postby Junkboy999 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:56 pm

Ok now you need to work on making a bigger garage door.

Hope I can see it live in person next year some time. It is so sweet looking.
:applause:
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Thanks guys! Plan is to get going on some of the final details this weekend. Took off last weekend for a bit of camping before the snow flies. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby cherokeegeorge » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:17 pm

What are snow flies? Do you get a lot of those around your house? Do they bite? How big are they?
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby doug hodder » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:36 pm

Wow...a Merkin Indian that doesn't know about snow flies....but then this one lives in So. Cal...don't make me go all Chief Walking Eagle on ya! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby cherokeegeorge » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:30 pm

I was confused, we do nott get a lot of those up hear in wyoming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby nevadatear » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:54 pm

Haviing some of that majer wyoming raiin hear at the falin tears gathrn in Reno. It s chacsing away the shoe flies AND the tent flies. Poor Kay's bird is a' worrying her. Keeping the left eye out for snow flies. Dinner's in 2 hrs. But good company makes a wet gathering fun.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:23 pm

Doug, randy's wandering if you got that whistling nuclear reactor water heater installed in Kamp King yet. Just cureous.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:02 am

I've finished up the interior details. Last weekend, I decided that I wanted an extra wall cabinet over the drawers on the passenger side of the trailer, so got that taken care of. I also installed a slider under the sink with a drawer and sides on it for pots and pans. Got all the plumbing final connections completed, no leaks! whoopee!, trimmed out the windows and ceiling seams with painted strips, stainless screws and finishing washers, and got the curtains hung.

I am still waiting for the yellow caulk that I ordered to take care of the small joints along the ceiling. A lot of people use a product called "gimp" in this place, at least that's what I've heard it called. It's a vinyl tab with a bulb on it that allows the corner to be hidden with the bulb. I am not a fan of it, although it has been used for years, as the vinyl won't allow an adhesive to be used to attach the ceiling to the walls. I've torn apart enough older trailers to see just how floppy that joint can become over the years. Using the gimp, it's a staple situation and I prefer to have that joint glued, then hidden. I could be wrong on it all as it's not the typical vintage build technique, but somehow, I feel better about gluing that joint together. I'll lay in a tiny bead of caulk in a matching color, then wipe it down with a damp sponge. This isn't a restoration. It's just me, the vinyl material is fine, but that's just my building technique.

I also got the awning track attached. I had a major screw up on this! I didn't take pics of where the electrical for the porch light wiring went behind the track so had the possibility of shooting a screw into a "hot" wire. I attached the battery to the system, turned on the porch light, and then watched as I shot every screw into it. If it shorted out, at least I'd know what screw did it and could take care of it or at least knew where the issue was. I had no problems, fortunately.

I also had another screw up that I didn't discover till way late in the game. On the Nomad I had made the bed so that it sat right on top of the wheel wells. Well, that had a drop floor and this one doesn't. So the bed had a funny height to it and wasn't really comfortable for sitting on the edge, ahhh...the screw ups of not having any plans and just winging it! I built up the sub frame an extra 2.5" so it is a more comfortable sitting height. Now, I had a patch in front of the drawers that was visually dead, so I drilled a bunch of equally spaced 3" holes, backed it with some boomerang laminate and used some stainless screws and finishing washers on it. I think I covered my a$$ on it all, you all will probably be the judge on it. By the time I get the bed made and a quilt on it...no one will know, and a little splash of gray adds to the decor.

The exterior only needs to have the trim cap installed and 4 more clearance lights connected and it's all done!

I'll get some pics up this weekend, gotta make the bed etc... It's all really out of control out in the garage right now. I gotta get the garage cleaned out, put the Nomad in and get the beds made up in both of them. Sue and Shelly may be coming by in the next 10 days so I need to have my "spare" rooms ready. Thing is...I want to at least spend the night in the Kamp King before anyone else gets to! Just my thing...and if Shelly reads this...Bodie and Trance (dogs) can't sleep on the new quilt! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby stonykill » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:54 am

can't wait to see the pics
stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:21 am

Got to a milestone yesterday. I finished up on the interior seam seals, cleaned the windows/ interior, installed the mattress etc....took my first nap in it in the afternoon. I also managed to get the awning support cross poles cut to the correct length and got it installed as well. All I have left now is some minor details on the exterior, like trimming the sides with the cap and a couple of clearance lights. As I sit in it and look around, it's good to be at this point. It's been a year. Thanks for watching. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals