Kamp King last pics, journal is complete.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Kamp King last pics, journal is complete.

Postby doug hodder » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:42 pm

I'm really going out on a limb here on this one, to actually post in the build journals. However, I've always said what I'm gonna do and then done it...hope I can do it now...If I fail, please give me a break! While I had cooked up all sorts of ideas on my next trailer, (bread loaf), they were going to be way too pricey and time intensive at the current time. I was given the opportunity to pick this one up for free, and while I have absolutely no idea on what's under it, it was worth it for the parts and I've sort of considered another canned ham before I do the "bread loaf" build anyway. I was just about to pull the trigger on a new build, but this one is going to be a real savings for me. Besides...a bread loaf is going to be much harder to resell, as it would be so time/material intensive

The big thing here is, that I got a rolling frame, all the working windows, ice box, stove/oven, sink, tank, propane tank, skins, hardware etc on a platform that is only 78" wide and 12'6" long, perfect for a TTT, with little or no frame modification....

I've just hauled it home, and next weekend will begin unloading all the crap on the interior, and really see what I've got. Plan is, to do a total redo on the profile, cut the skins, and make it appear to be from a different era, at least from the early 50's. It's a '72 Field and Stream. The previous owner had started to do some of the work on it, like a filon panel in the ceiling, then gave up on it. It's full of all the old appliances and removed cabinet stuff.

While I've had my next project all designed and ready to go....I'm going to have to reinvent the whole plan and make this one work or at least make it work for an interim idea. I'll post some pics next weekend when I get it unloaded from all the stuff inside. I'll be able to more closely evaluate what I've got and then get a plan and profile together for it.

I'm thinking, I can reuse the side skins and then redo the top in a single sheet of coil aluminum, as the roof is really trashed. Probably won't get much sleep for the next few nights, but then I've been waking up thinking about the next build anyway....gotta get a plan together...Camping is only about 7 months away for 2013. This baby won't fit in the garage...gotta get really creative on wheeling it in and out of the garage. I figure I'll modify the casters I used on the boat build with a cradle. Project name......Kamp King with a crown over the copy...at least I've got the logo thunk out!

While I know it may sound stupid....but if you can make more people believe in your visions, the more likely you are to accomplish them... Doug

All the parts, just thrown it...I'll sort it all out...hope it's got all the hardware...if not...I'll punt!
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: The Kamp King

Postby Irmo Atomics » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:42 am

Looking forward to seeing your transformation.
Last edited by Irmo Atomics on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Irmo Atomics
Teardrop Master

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:47 am

This is very exciting. What a deal, free is my favorite price, and it looks like you're getting a lot of stuff to work with.

Your builds are always so interesting I cannot wait to see this unfold.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:27 pm

Doug, I'm confident you'll pull off another winner again.
If you get discouraged during the rebuild here's a boat load of Henry quotes. :thumbsup:
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby TRP » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:36 pm

This one should be fun to watch.

Best of luck. Can't wait to see it take shape.

Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:55 pm

Doug, you'll be fine. You always are. I look forward to the build journal and thank you for posting it! :thumbsup: :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:28 pm

Started the day early, eager to see what I've got. I mucked out the interior, kept a few key pieces like the parts for the dinette seats and the table for dimensions. Missing a burner grate on the stove. The body is totally rotten. Really, the only thing holding it together was the skins and the staples in them and the fake wood grain vinyl on everything left in the interior. If it stays standing till morning, I'll be surprised.

I stripped the windows, lights, all the trim, door, and a few select pieces of siding that I plan on reusing. The rest of the skins are either dented or have a cut out in a place that makes it unusable. Steve E and Patty came by and we all had a good laugh about it all. Kinda another one of those "what have I done" moments. On the plus side...the guy left in about 15 full sticks of 1x2 poplar that will be used. The plan is for tomorrow to get all the parts put away in the shed, stack the junk in the utility trailer better and then drop the rest of it down to the frame and cut it up. Glad I don't live in a covenant controlled neighborhood!

All corners looked like this:

What have I done?

Telltale sign of a Humphrey lamp...shown with cool curtains...

This load goes to the dump...thought I'd burn it in the stove in the shop...too much vinyl wallpaper.

Days end:

Pile of good body parts.

Thanks for watching. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: The Kamp King 10/13 update...tear down

Postby doug hodder » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:32 pm

This morning I stripped the rest of the aluminum off the body, and collapsed it. What amazes me is that they used 28 bolts to hold the floor down, all of which took a torch to remove from underneath, but left the paper on a lot of the butyl tape so it never adhered...go figure. I pressure washed the frame, found that it needs a set of springs...1 side sags about 1", and the tongue will need to be cut off and a new one welded on. It has been tweeked. Fortunately I've got enough 2x2 tube from a previous build to redo that portion. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: The Kamp King 10/14 update...tear down

Postby Steve E » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:29 pm

Have we got a DEAL for you.........For only 29.95 we can set you up with a perfect set of springs to bring that beeeeuuuutiful trailer up to code. Since we think you are such a special young man we will make you a deal of absolutely Free for them there Springs. Yes sir, we will give you this one time offer so Springs are yours and yours only....... ......Remember.... IT'S ALL ABOUT RECYCLEING.......... :)
Steve E
Platinum Donating Member

Re: The Kamp King 10/14 update...tear down

Postby doug hodder » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:47 pm

I keep telling myself this isn't such a bad deal, but I also keep running into all sorts of things that need to be taken care of.

I pulled the hubs this last weekend. Both sides had bad bearings and races in them and very little grease. 1 side had really etched races...the other was badly rusted. This trailer must have spent a lot of time just sitting. Part of the problem is that this style hub/axle requires a Z ring on it. 1 side had one on it, and the rusted one didn't, so I guess it's a good idea to put them on. Who knows what happened to it over it's 42 years. A Z ring fits inside of the grease seal on the outside. It's used on axles that don't have a larger flange on the spindle stub, especially on the older square tube axles, and on some boat trailer applications. I replaced all the hub parts outside of the actual hub itself.

I'm waiting for my nephew to come up with a couple of 14" wheels...this time something that can take a typical hub cap, unlike on the Nomad. We had that talk. He rebuilds a lot of cars and has a load of wheels around to choose from. I just want a stock wheel that I can paint.

I've about got the final profile all designed, and have colors picked for the exterior and interior and have gotten the marmoleum samples for the flooring. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: Kamp King 10/22 update...rebuild on frame

Postby campmaster-k » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:12 am

This is going to be awesome! :thumbsup:
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby wagondude » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:57 am

campmaster-k wrote:This is going to be awesome! :thumbsup:

1+ :thumbsup: As are all of your builds.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jdarkoregon » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:37 pm

Doug, You inspire all of us to OVERCOME hardship, Can't wait to see what you have for us in the profile/colors

Get R Done
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:17 pm

Started Sat. morning really early...got a lot done. It took a torch to get the axle out of it. What I found is that all the spring bolts are worn, as are the shackles. I also cut off the tongue, fabbed up a new square tube A frame tongue on it. Unlike the original, this one actually is the 50 degrees that it should be. What's missing is the center piece on the tongue. I ran out of tubing. Got the other outriggers installed that I wanted. I lapped new tubing along the longsills back to just ahead of the spring hanger. Then cut off the existing channel to mate up to a cross member. It's much more rigid than some of the other frames I've done. Got it all wire brushed and painted, except the tongue which isn't complete yet. So it's now got a new tongue, coupler, jack, springs, shackles, bolts, bearings and U bolts.

I also managed to get the wheels and the step sandblasted and into primer. These wheels are 14" Mopars, I didn't want the 15's that it came with. A freebie from my nephew, thanks Dylan. This time, he also came up with some early 70's cop car hubcaps for them that fit. Still need to get some yellow paint mixed up and shoot them.

Last weekend Steve E came by with a load of potential parts and we played with the stove. Thanks Steve! We got the stove portion to operate....no luck yet on the oven. The real + here is that we didn't blow ourselves up, the regulator was shot. It was seriously jury rigged. It's so rough...I may just bag it. I can get a new propane (yes I said that) drop in without oven for 125$ new. I may just leave it out, but make the counter so that it can be cut and installed in the future. I never cook inside anyway, and if I do, I just use a smaller Coleman and it's usually only heat up stuff type thing.

Glad to get most of the iron work done, even without the axle/springs in it, it's a hassle to flip it by yourself...now I can start picking up some ply for the floor. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: Kamp King 11/4 update..frame done

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:03 pm

:applause: Beautiful! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Build Journals