Nano Weekender: becomes a mockup

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Nano Weekender: Dry Assembled!

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:26 pm

High Desert wrote:This is really a cool design Mike, I'm enjoying watching it evolve. 8)

For a bit extra galley space, maybe something like a small tabletop that could fold or slide out of the galley when the hatch is open, or one that stores inside and would hang on the side (or sides) when you're set up at camp? :thinking:

Ah yes, you like the profile. Stick with the larger version though. Those extra feet make the world of difference!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby dogscats » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:56 pm

Would there be a problem if you did a flat nose on the lower haft in the front and back? That give about 15" more storage.
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:05 pm

dogscats wrote:Would there be a problem if you did a flat nose on the lower haft in the front and back? That give about 15" more storage.

You could do that. But then it would be more like the squared teardrop, as shown here: http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear38.htm

This is a little more extreme version of what you are describing.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby dogscats » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:27 pm

You are right it the angle that make the trailer thanks.
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:58 pm

mikeschn wrote:So Chell is right when she suggested that the galley be used for storage only.
The other thing I am going to do is look at adding additional storage above the foot of the bed, and making the cabin area a little smaller.
  • galley as a storage area 110132
  • storage above foot of bed 104351
  • shelving above foot of bed 106811
High Desert wrote:For a bit extra galley space, maybe something like a small tabletop that could fold or slide out of the galley when the hatch is open, or one that stores inside and would hang on the side (or sides) when you're set up at camp?
  • sidetable standalone 108138
  • sidetable legs thru eyebolts 111490
  • sidetable mounted for camp use 111495
dogscats wrote:Would there be a problem if you did a flat nose on the lower half in the front and back? That give about 15" more storage.
  • flat in lower half (front) 111160
  • also flat in lower half (back) 111163
mikeschn wrote:You could do that. But then it would be more like the squared teardrop, as... a little more extreme version of what you are describing.
Somehow, after this thread, I feel a little better about my out-of-the-box design. Actually, I always liked it....
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby dogscats » Sun May 11, 2014 3:45 pm

I hope all the bad weather has pass you by. Any updates thanks?
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby rdraider » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:43 pm

Awesome build! I'll be combining this design with the legendary Sawtooth XL build for a light duty off road trailer.
:beer:
rdraider
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tundrwd » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:47 am

Any further updates on this build? Any more detailed plans available?
Tundrwd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:06 pm

I know you guys are waiting for updates. I've been so busy, there hasn't been time. But I will document this eventually, and also create some plans.

Just bear with me... and bump me every now and then! :D

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Greg M » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:42 pm

Bump ;)
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby dogscats » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:03 pm

I am happy that some day might be able to give a go at it :)
dogscats
Donating Member

Re: Nano Weekender: becomes a mockup

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:43 pm

After starting the nano build, I realized it is small. No amount of CAD work can prepare you for how small it really is. Even the pictures comparing the Pico Light to the Generic Benroy can't prepare you.

The nano weekender is still sitting in the basement, and it's serving more as a mockup for my next build...

Just for fun, here's what it looks like at the moment...

The challenge for this build is to get 2 people and 2 dogs into the teardrop comfortably. The dogs get their own porthole windows, one on each side. (I only cut 1 porthole so far.) The wife get's her TV, shown in the middle there!

The mockup is 4' wide. The actual build will be about 66" wide. The nano is also 48" high. I might have to add a few inches to the center height, to keep the rest of the space useable.

Oh, one last thing. The mad dash teardrop will be a variation of the cub/modernistic/ultralight.

I've not decided if I am going to cram everything onto a 10' long frame, or if I am going to get daring, and do a true ultralight without a frame, like JonW did. Right now I am still trying to package what we need on the inside.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby dogscats » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:14 pm

Mike did you give up on this? IF so I got a bunch of these fiberglass pieces there 2's from 5''to 24'' left overs soft spots . So I think I can get what is needed do two . I like to do a shell to sell is there some thing we can work out.Some of the pieces has resets on top and side. Buy using thees I could leave out the studs .And just glue 1/4 ply wood .
[img]141270[/img]
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun May 01, 2016 9:16 am

Dogscats,

The nano weekender would have been too small for the two of us and the two dogs... and to stretch it so that we would fit, it would no longer be a nano.

So we stretched up, made it nice and curvy, and called it a mad dash. You can see that here: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=1110105#p1110105

The nano weekender would work for anyone who would be comfortable in a pico light... http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear58.htm
and viewtopic.php?p=629446#p629446

Are you going to build a nano? if so, we need lots of pics...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby dogscats » Sun May 01, 2016 12:58 pm

Thanks Mike . I have a lot of these parts Luck out on building some other forms of trailers .West coast Port walk out no work Then it ended .
So we had 15 hours days or no job. Now that we are back to 12s fours days a week . Will give a go .
As thees have a 5inch off set and the axle I have 58'' wide it be a fat nano .
There left over channels for High Pressure Aeroponics for farms in Oregon, Washington, Denver. Hope the D.E.A wont take my trailer.
[img]141289[/img]
[img]141288[/img]
dogscats
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals