Nano Weekender: becomes a mockup

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Nano Weekender

Postby leroadrunner » Mon May 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Great design...I think I will build it.

Are the sketchup available to play with?

Thanks!
leroadrunner
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Junkboy999 » Tue May 28, 2013 4:45 pm

jjohnston wrote:Mike,

I really like this idea for a small weekender! I was looking at your original weekender for a deer lease camper, but I think I'd like this to slide onto my 4 X 8 Utility trailer! add a couple of jackstands and i have a portable cabin!

There is a thread in the teardrop gathering section ( It really need to moved to the Build area) that has a clever way of removing the camper shell from the trailer.

Completed convertible TD ( Shell can be removed off trailer )
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Junkboy999 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:14 pm

And for my 2 pence worth about the Nano planes. If you gonna place in a tongue box that has tapered sides that extend close to the width of the trailer, why not drop the nose a bit so the box can open fully and reclame that extra space between the shell and the box for deeper storage in side or longer bed.

rodtermaat wrote:Funny how when you find your future teardrop you just know it. I have been searching for several weeks for a design and this is it.....

rodtermaat.

If you like this style camper you owe it to yourself to read through Richards ( rmclarke ) build for the Sunhopper. it is the picture posted on top of page 4 ( this thread )
Here is his build log.
Last edited by Junkboy999 on Tue May 28, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jonw » Tue May 28, 2013 7:12 pm

Junkboy999 wrote:And for my 2 pence worth about the Nano planes. If you gonna place in a tongue box that has tapered sides that extend close to the width of the trailer, why not drop the nose a bit so the box can open fully and reclame that extra space between the shell and the box for deeper storage in side of longer bed.

Terry - you mean like the illustration near the bottom of page two of this thread? Check it out...

JonW
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:16 pm

Jon

This is different than Richard Sunhopper front and different than the one you drew out. The weekender plays on the fact it is easy to build and just requires a few sheets of plywood. Extending the side of the camper to encompass the tongue box would require a longer than 8 foot sheet, or a splice. I just changed the slope of the front bottom lower part of the shell to straight up and down. No need to set it back at an angle because the tapered sides on the tongue box redirects the air flow

This might be a better picture.
Mikes plan

My changes

Ps Jon,
My camera dumped some of the picture off the memory card. I only took pictures of the galley and the missing hatch. It looks like when the camera shut itself down because of low battery it did not save the last few pictures. I’ll pm you my e-mail addy if you can send me some picture of your camper at the gathering for my slide show.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed May 29, 2013 3:37 am

leroadrunner wrote:Great design...I think I will build it.

Are the sketch up available to play with?

Thanks!

It's not sketch up it's Turbocad. But maybe I can convert it into sketch up. Let me experiment with that.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby leroadrunner » Wed May 29, 2013 9:09 am

Is TurboCAD easy? Weird but I find sketchup to be so unintuitive...

Is it a DXF file? If so I can import it.

Thanks
leroadrunner
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow98258 » Wed May 29, 2013 3:56 pm

I really like this design because we now only have the Suzuki Sidekick as a viable tow vehicle because my commuter vehicle is now a leased Nissan Leaf EV. Not even going to consider putting a hitch on it. I love the idea of Nano Weekender Foamie! Also has anyone suggested under floor storage?
Shadow98258
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Wed May 29, 2013 5:21 pm

I find SketchUp to be very unintuitive and difficult to use. However I have managed to import my model into sketchup. I don't know if the scale is right, but here it is...

slightly simplified as to not overwhelm anyone's version of sketchup. Oh, BTW, you need sketchup version 8 to read this...

http://tnttt.com/images/2013/nano_weekender_8.skp

If anyone would like the stp file, it's here: http://tnttt.com/images/2013/nano_weekender_2a.stp

Mike...

P.S. If anyone downloads either of these two files, I'd like to know if you were successful viewing them, and if they had the information you needed.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Wed May 29, 2013 5:30 pm

leroadrunner wrote:Is TurboCAD easy? Weird but I find sketchup to be so unintuitive...

Is it a DXF file? If so I can import it.

Thanks

TurboCAD is not easy. I've had it for about 13 versions, and still struggle with it. The biggest struggle is that it is a 2 1/2D CAD program, and I am used to 3D.

To give you an example of my struggles, lets say I want to measure the length to make sure it measures 8'. I select point 1, and then point 2, and Turbocad comes back and says the distance is 0.

Grrr... so I realize that the workplane is flush with the back of the trailer. So now I have to move the work plane flush with the side of the trailer, and then when I measure I get the correct distance.

Little stuff like that that drives me nuts.

As for the export formats, I find that stp seems to work across most platforms the best. If you are working in a parasolid based program, of course parasolid import/export is better. And if you are working in ACIS based programs then .sat to .sat is the best. But trying to go from a parasolid system to an ACIS based system, .stp is the best choice.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby leroadrunner » Thu May 30, 2013 2:26 pm

mikeschn wrote:I find SketchUp to be very unintuitive and difficult to use. However I have managed to import my model into sketchup. I don't know if the scale is right, but here it is...

slightly simplified as to not overwhelm anyone's version of sketchup. Oh, BTW, you need sketchup version 8 to read this...

http://tnttt.com/images/2013/nano_weekender_8.skp

If anyone would like the stp file, it's here: http://tnttt.com/images/2013/nano_weekender_2a.stp

Mike...

P.S. If anyone downloads either of these two files, I'd like to know if you were successful viewing them, and if they had the information you needed.

Weird...I tried opening the SketchUp file (skp - I have 8 PRO) and it told me that I needed version 13.0.3689 and that I only have 8.0.16846! I even tried to check for updates and it looks like I'm all up to date!!

The STP, I have no idea how to bring in...I looked under import, but did not see it there.

Dont worry too much yet...I may try to design my own from info I saw from the Sunhopper...if I can figure out any of these CAD programs!!! I guess I will have my 12yr kid do it! :-D
leroadrunner
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Thu May 30, 2013 3:26 pm

leroad,

I download sketchup make last night, and sure enough, it is version 13.0.3689

It appears that there are only 2 options on the sketchup download page: sketchup make and sketchup pro. And possibly sketchup pro is the older version.

Why not grab a copy of sketchup make and see if you can read my file with that. It's free ya know! :lol:

Then you can capture the dimension you like, and let your 12 year old design a new teardrop for you.

Mike...

P.S. If I had to recommend something that could import stp files, I would suggest http://punchcad.com/p-9-viacad-2d3d-v8.aspx
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby leroadrunner » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:52 am

mikeschn wrote:leroad,

I download sketchup make last night, and sure enough, it is version 13.0.3689

It appears that there are only 2 options on the sketchup download page: sketchup make and sketchup pro. And possibly sketchup pro is the older version.

Why not grab a copy of sketchup make and see if you can read my file with that. It's free ya know! :lol:

Then you can capture the dimension you like, and let your 12 year old design a new teardrop for you.

Mike...

P.S. If I had to recommend something that could import stp files, I would suggest http://punchcad.com/p-9-viacad-2d3d-v8.aspx

Okay finally got the file! Thanks! Now, I'll get my son to play with it!!!
leroadrunner
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:01 pm

We have a new user who has an interest in the Nano Weekender... ekuklewski

I am hoping to get back to the Nano Weekender myself like really really soon. :D

I'd like to use the CNC to cut the sides, and maybe some spacers, and maybe some hatch ribs...

This long winter is getting to me. And since I can't go camping, maybe I can build the Nano downstairs, and camp in the basement. Geesh... just listen to me! :oops:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby LWW » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:04 pm

?
LWW
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals