Nano Weekender: becomes a mockup

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Nano Weekender

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:45 pm

Currently I am laying out the spars so I can figure out how to cut the sides...

What became very painfully apparent this evening is that whatever simplicity we gained by going to flat panels, we lost, because we have to cut angles on myriad spars...

Oh, I am still tweaking the layout, so what you see is not final yet...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:07 pm

Here I put on the inside and outside skins to make sure I'm not overlooking something important...

Seems to be okay. What do you think?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby ekuklewski » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:38 am

Mike thanks for picking up the nano project again. Have a hf trailer kit waiting for assembly and and really like the nano or full weekender designs. This newbie will probably have lots of questions in the coming months.
ekuklewski
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:49 pm

The Nano Weekender is incredibly small. It's primary benefit is being able to cut the side out of 1 sheet of plywood. The trailer has to be shortened before you can set the body on it.

The regular Weekender adds an incredible amount of space, and it's very easy to splice on the extra 2 feet. And you don't have to shorten the trailer.

But construction aside, you'll have to decide what size (and weight) weekender works for you.

Here are some build plans for the regular Weekender...

http://www.mikenchell.com/images/mikes- ... inal-2.pdf

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby flbikejunkie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:42 pm

I like the nano weekender. Something quick and easy to build. I'm already thinking about #2. Don't tell my wife :)
flbikejunkie
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:09 am

Here's the plan for this weekend... Cut this on the CNC... here's the simulation preview...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:02 pm

Okay, I got the first piece cut...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Nano Weekender: Cut the first side! Pics!

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:51 am

I just framed up the first layer of door framing. Once the glue dries I'll do the 2nd layer.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Glenn Butcher » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:10 am

mikeschn wrote:Currently I am laying out the spars so I can figure out how to cut the sides...

What became very painfully apparent this evening is that whatever simplicity we gained by going to flat panels, we lost, because we have to cut angles on myriad spars...

Mike...

Mike, what kept you from moving the spars off the skin joints, then butting the skin pieces and overlaying the joints with trim? I'm a software guy, so sometimes laws of physics escape me... :D
Glenn Butcher
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:26 am

The second layer is added...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:28 am

Here's a quick preview of the side... The hinge placement looks a little strange, until you look at the inside and realize that I've screwed the hinge into the 1x3s at the top and bottom of the door.

Pepper and Joey came down to check it out too!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:34 am

Glenn,

I suppose if I was skinning in aluminum, and had a brake as wide as the body, I could move the joints away from the spars.

But this is going to be skinned in wood. Probably 1/4" moisture resistant luan. Each panel will be less than 48" so all the edges of the wood will fall on a spar.

I am also planning on experimenting with garage floor epoxy on the outside, and in the galley.

Mike...

Glenn Butcher wrote:
mikeschn wrote:Currently I am laying out the spars so I can figure out how to cut the sides...

Mike...

Mike, what kept you from moving the spars off the skin joints, then butting the skin pieces and overlaying the joints with trim? I'm a software guy, so sometimes laws of physics escape me... :D
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby chimpta » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:44 pm

I love what you are doing with this. I am looking for something like this for a foamie and I love your intent to create something easier for newbies. :) A couple of questions:
Is it important for the front part of the roof to be at an angle from the back? Would there be a disadvantage to a flat roof?
Just trying to make it easier on myself as long as it makes sense.
I was also thinking of a vertical back to the galley with possibly just a very small section of the back roof angled.
I may also have the front half flat and streamline it with a cargo box in the front. I am thinking of adding foam to the main 4x8 body to create the front.
What do you think? I know this sketch is very crude but something like this.
chimpta
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:12 pm

Chimpta,

I personally think that the beauty of the teardrops and tiny travel trailers is the shape of the body. So I would not be inclined to design a square box.

However, since that is what you are interested in, here's an example of a square box...

http://davidbyrum.blogspot.com/

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby grant whipp » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:59 pm

I probably missed it Mike ...

... but, how thick is the plywood for the walls ...?

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals