Kentucky Benroy

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Kentucky Benroy

Postby Steve 70 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:56 pm

I had my trailer inspection today and it passed. We are in Gatlinburg right now riding and checking out campgrounds. My Dad was thrre for the inspection. As soon as we are home, I will get it registered and tagged so that I can give it a shake down pull. I will post pics soon.
Steve 70
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve 70 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:30 pm

Teresa and I took the camper out for its maiden voyage this weekend. We went to Carter Caves which is a local state park campground with lots of ammenities and activities for families. It is where we first started camping with the kids 20 some years ago. Putt Putt, swimming, fishing, boating, horseback riding, lots of caves to tours both guided and on your own and a lodge that has a pretty good buffet, especially if you like catfish and fried chicken.

When we left Friday evening we got our first test as we traveled through a major downpour. Passed.....no leaks and it handeled well on the rain soaked highway. :thumbsup: Once we arrived at the campground, set up was simple. :thumbsup: (in between tours) I have to admit that there was a sense of pride having fellow campers show an interest in our camper. There were many nice comments and lots of great questions. I have posted some pics of our maiden voyage.
I want to thank everyone on this site for all of there great advice. When talking with our visitors at the campground, I continually referred them to this site. Lots of wonderful people with tons of knowledge and an eagerness to share it. :) :)
Thanks again for all your help!!

110943 110944
A couple of side views of the camper.

110939 110950 110955 My mom made the curtains. They are Mickey Mouse curtains. Going to Fort Wilderness in November. :) :)

The galley worked well. After camping in full size campers, we realized quickly that we would need to only keep the essentials. Yes......coffee is an essential!! :coffee:

Here we are parked next to John and Shirley. They are from Florida and have been on a 12,000 mile journey from the east coast of Florida to Highway 1 in California and on their way back to Florida. Wonderful people. They gave us their calling card before leaving that had a picture of their camper and an email address to keep in touch. This was very similar to what Dave and Lisa have done with the Atma Travelear. It is a great idea!!
Last edited by Steve 70 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve 70
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Oldragbaggers » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:34 pm

Your trip sounds great and I'm so happy that your camper turned out to be everything you wanted. It looks terrific, and I can see why you are proud and why people are interested to see it. That's a great idea about the calling cards. Thanks for mentioning it.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:42 pm

Good job. You deserve to bust your buttons. Happy trails.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Steve 70 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:53 pm

Thanks Becky and Judy. :)
Steve 70
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Kentucky Benroy new AC vent cover

Postby Steve 70 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:36 pm

Decided to change the front AC cover. It was originally made from walnut. Had some time this fall to redo the cover and make it from pine with a natural stain and spar urethane. Hopefully it matches the camper better. Here is a pic of the new cover. I still have a travel cover that I will use to cover the vent to protect it when traveling. You can see the cover rotated down in the build journal pic.

Teresa and I are getting ready to take the camper to Fort Wilderness at Walt Disney World. This will be a big test as this will be a 2100 mile round trip. We will be traveling I75 and I am a little (a lot :frightened: ) concerned about wind gusts. I will post some pics from the Fort.
Steve 70
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rick e » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Great looking trailer! I like the nice radius front and back and the overall look. Nice work. Enjoy your time here in central Florida. We don't see many like this here so I'm certain you will get lots of attention.
Rick
rick e
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve 70 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:52 pm

Just got back from Walt Disney World and camping at Fort Wilderness. :)
Teresa and I have been traveling to WDW for about 12 years now with our 2 children. When I finished the camper this summer, I jokingly made the comment that we should go camping at Fort Wilderness. About a week later I was informed that we had a reservation at the fort. :o I was a little surprised. Happy.......but surprised. We had a great time and are already talking about our next trip to WDW. :thumbsup:

I have included a couple of pics from our campsite along with a pic of the castle lit up for the Christmas season.

This is an amazing site. Lighting the Castle is an event in itself.
This is a pic right after we got camp set up.
First night. This was a welcomed sight after spending a busy afternoon and evening at Hollywood Studios.
First morning at the Fort. Teresa had made us some pre-mixed oatmeal singles for breakfast. Just add hot water. Pinterest....enough said. :lol:
Steve 70
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Junkboy999 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Looks like you guys have a great time.

The Teardrop is looking sweet, but what is that light in front of it? MM head? Electric, Gas?
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Steve 70 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:07 pm

It is a Mickey Mouse lamp post. :)
It is powered by electricity. Now that we have finished camping for the season, we have it in our family room and decorated for the Christmas season.

Steve 70
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tommy2tone_1999 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:30 pm

I see you went with 13" wheels. Did you have to raise your fenders to accommodate the larger wheels?
Make time for fitness and it'll make time for you.
http://TommyDoran.com
http://tommydoran.com/favor
Interview: http://goo.gl/Non1oR
Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58395
Come find me on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/tommy.doran
Tommy2tone_1999
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve 70 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:51 pm

Those are actually 15 inch wheels and tires. I knew that I would be pulling the camper long distances and the larger setup is a little easier on the bearings. I did have to go with a boat trailer fender made for 15 inch setups. I have pulled the camper to Fort Wilderness at Disney World 3 times (2000 miles round trip) and it has pulled great even thru Atlanta during rush hour. It tracks really well. Glad I went larger.
Steve 70
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jered » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:22 am

Great work on your build!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Jered
jered
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Steve 70 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:37 pm

jered wrote:Great work on your build!

Thanks jered. :thumbsup: It was a lot of fun to build and we have had even more fun camping in it........especially with our friends at teardrop gatherings.
We are getting ready for our next gathering in a couple of weeks at Kendall Campground at Lake Cumberland.
Steve
Steve 70
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jered » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:52 am

Steve,
Did you make any modifications to your 5x8 frame to make additional room for the tounge box? I like the way you used the box to hide the AC unit. My NT trailer will be here tommorow. Hiding the AC was one of my last design challenges. Your solution is perfect.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Jered
jered
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals