Kentucky Benroy

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Kentucky Benroy

Postby nevadatear » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:45 pm

It is sometimes so hard to realize as similar as we have gotten across this country, there are still some real differences when it comes to camping. The was s just the opposite per electricity. During our build we had to seriously consider whether to include 110. Was hard to find a reason. Finally we went with including the wiring for future use. Randy finally finished up the 110 two years after we built. Still have yet to use it. Actually did not put in wiring for lights, just outlets. Since we do plan on camping in the east some time, we will probably be glad we have it. As for dc for you, i would suggest the same. Wire for it, you can always add a battery later. If you travel west, 110 is few and far between unless you stay in commercial places only.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Steve 70 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:30 pm

nevadatear wrote:It is sometimes so hard to realize as similar as we have gotten across this country, there are still some real differences when it comes to camping. The was s just the opposite per electricity. During our build we had to seriously consider whether to include 110. Was hard to find a reason. Finally we went with including the wiring for future use. Randy finally finished up the 110 two years after we built. Still have yet to use it. Actually did not put in wiring for lights, just outlets. Since we do plan on camping in the east some time, we will probably be glad we have it. As for dc for you, i would suggest the same. Wire for it, you can always add a battery later. If you travel west, 110 is few and far between unless you stay in commercial places only.

bdosborn wrote:You might think about roughing in some wires for 12v system later. For a minimal amount you can inbed wires in the walls for future lighting. That way you can add a battery and such later if you decide you want it. My hunch is that you'll likely want 12v later.

Great build. :thumbsup:

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, Debbie and Randy. This is the reason I really like this forum. My father and I always make a great team when working on a project together either for him or me because we question each other. We force each other to think about things from a different perspective. 99% of the time, things turn out better. I never really thought to just go ahead and wire for the 12VDC. Without a doubt it would be easy to do now and would save a lot of headaches in the future if I did decide to add 12 VDC.
You mentioned the fact that 110 is few and far between out west. The one thing that has changed over the years that changes the camping future for us is the fact that our children are now grown and we are not limited to staying close to home due to their activities. I built a trailer to pull behind our motorcycle so that we could take longer trips. I can see us traveling longer distances to more far away places with our camper.
Again, I appreciate the feedback and advice. This is a new adventure for me and my wife and we are both getting more excited every day about getting back into the camping scene. Teresa spends as much time visiting the websites for TnTT as I do now. Her favorite thing to say to me is "Look what they did!!!!"

Thanks again for the advice!!
Bruce, Your Boxcar build was one of the first videos that I viewed that really started to peak my interest in building my own tiny trailer. Great job, especially on the cabinet work.
Steve 70
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve 70 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:06 pm

Well, I have had some time to work on the camper and was able to get a couple of things done. It's getting late so I will attach some pics and then tell about what I have done later.

101165 101164 101163 101161101166
Steve 70
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bdosborn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:21 pm

I like the lighting, nice and even light levels.

:thumbsup:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Sam I am » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:18 pm

Great looking build! I really like the beadboard ceiling.
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby Steve 70 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:51 pm

I have manged to add some main cabin lights along with getting the poly on the ceiling. The lights in the cabin will be divide into over the head of the bed lights.......
And also the main cabin lights.......
After the final coat of poly, I will mount the lights into the ceiling. These lights are on seperate switches so that we can use either one or both. These are LED puck lights and they put out a nice light. Not to dark and not to bright.

While Teresa has been putting the poly on the cabin ceiling, I have had time to finish the AC portion of the wiring. 101889 I will be roughing in for future DC wiring later.

I have also had an opportunity to work on the galley.

I have built the frames only right now as to get an idea of size. I decided to shorten the upper cabinets as to give me a little more room between the counter and the upper cabinets. I will be adding a pass through for the 30 amp cord once I have applied the outer skin.

The AC has been roughed in.....

I hope to have at least the upper cabinets built and if all goes well, the lower cabinets roughed in by the end of the day tommorrow.
Steve 70
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve 70 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:52 pm

I managed to get the counter top in and the lower cabinet framing. I am also going to mount the microwave in the lower cabinets beside the refrigerator.

I was also able to get the upper cabinets finished along with getting the doors made. It's almost time for Teresa to start staining and putting on polyurethane.

We also had some engineered hardwood floor leftover from the house. I put it in the floor of the galley and I believe I have just enough left to put it in the cabin. We were going to put vinyl floor in the cabin but we had this flooring left over and decided to go ahead and use it.

Some pics of the galley......101919 101918
Steve 70
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bdosborn » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:56 pm

Wow, you're really making progress. They galley's gonna look great. :thumbsup:

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:06 pm

It's looking really good, Steve! :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing your build journal. :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Steve 70 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:57 pm

We did not have a lot of time to work tonight so Teresa stained the cabinets in the galley and I worked on putting the hulliner on the front wall of the inside. I first saw the hulliner used on Mark and Cindi's "Little Swiss Teardrop" I really liked how clean it made the inside look. Here are a couple of pics from tonights work. I also mounted the main cabin lights since Teresa finished the last coat of poly on the ceiling.

These pics show the front wall with the hulliner installed and the AC set in place and also part of the main cabin lights.
Steve 70
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bdosborn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:18 pm

Hey, you installed the receptacles per IEEE Std. 602-1986 (Electric Systems in Health Care Facilities).
Nice! :thumbsup:

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Steve 70 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:25 pm

bdosborn wrote:Hey, you installed the receptacles per IEEE Std. 602-1986 (Electric Systems in Health Care Facilities).
Nice! :thumbsup:

Bruce

Ok.....I wasn't sure if I should be upset or not due to the fact I have no idea what IEEE Std. 602-1986 (Electrical Systems in Health Care Facilities) means. :oops: :?

I'll take it that it is a good thing since you gave me the :thumbsup:
Steve 70
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bdosborn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:21 pm

Steve 70 wrote:Ok.....I wasn't sure if I should be upset or not due to the fact I have no idea what IEEE Std. 602-1986 (Electrical Systems in Health Care Facilities) means. :oops: :?

That's just me showing off 8) ; it means you installed the receptacles with the ground pin up. Its a hotly debated subject in my industry. Some people say its safer as a metal object falling on the plug would hit the ground pin first. Some people say ground pin down is safer as that way the ground pin is the last thing that pulls out if the cord is ripped out of the wall. I personally like the smiley face look of ground pin down. :lol:

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Steve 70 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:32 pm

Thanks Bruce!! I hoped that you didn't take the last post the wrong way. :worship: I was trying to be a little funny. :lol: Teresa says that I'm not very good at that. If there is one thing that I have learned since I first started lurking on this site and especially since starting my build is that I have much to learn. I have really enjoyed learning about and building my camper. The comments that I have gotten back have been both educational and supportive. I have watched many videos including both your Teardrop and Boxcar build, which I have to say your cabinet work is excellent!! :applause:
I am starting to realize that just like you, this will more than likely not be my last build.

Thanks again!!
Steve 70
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bdosborn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Steve 70 wrote:Thanks Bruce!! I hoped that you didn't take the last post the wrong way. :worship:

Not at all, I knew it was a pretty obscure reference.

Steve 70 wrote: I have watched many videos including both your Teardrop and Boxcar build, which I have to say your cabinet work is excellent!! :applause:

Thank you! I don't know about you but I enjoyed building the cabinets the most.

Steve 70 wrote:I am starting to realize that just like you, this will more than likely not be my last build.

Wait till you camp in it for a season, I bet you find you have a pretty nice camper.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals