Cross Bow / trolley / renamed little blue trolley

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Cross Bow / trolley / 1 yr 5 months almost done

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:41 am

today I put 2 screws in the top of each side of the galley hatch and now it is much firmer when opened. My wife put on the fist coat of paint and will put on the 2nd tomorrow.

I was given a pc of bender board but it was thicker then I thought figured I could soak it but then my neighbor from across the street showed up with a pc of aluminum sheeting just the rights size tomorrow I will put on the Trolley Roof and cut and mount the hatch plywood.

With the second coat on the walls I can mount the front and back clearance lights and the rear hatch lock.

Then I can finish the wiring and begin making the doors. Plans are in the works. I am beginning to design the Wiley windows. outside skins have been painted.

Stay tuned for tomorrows accomplishments :thumbsup:

I found I made the opening for the doors on the new trailer smaller then on the old trailer so I have to make doors!!
8)
Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:58 am

Had to recharge camera battery so no shots for now.

Working on trailer needed a brake so here I am typing.

Trolley top is on

Clearance lights attached but not totally wired. will attach rear lights tomorrow.

door in the works, with Wiley windows it is fails I will make so I can later but Grants window in.

Will have plywood on galley hatch by tomorrow. May have hatch locks on by tonight.

Is lower then the Box Kite and lighter too. but the front is heavy, I think I will mount the spare tire under the galley to counter balance it.

Doing the math for the DMV with total spent and total tax paid.

need to fill out DMV papers for it.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:05 am

:D Getting down to the wire, Ron. Looking forward to seeing your masterpiece. Go! Go ! Go! :thumbsup:
TDN
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:32 am

We aren't saying much but I think we're all still watching. You don't have to reply to this. That just takes extra time.
I'll be part of the cheering squad, cheering you on. Git 'er done! :thumbsup:
(...Well, maybe not completely done but done enough for IRG camping. We all know that a teardrop is rarely ever "done".)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Cross Bow

Postby Sidekick » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:20 pm

Ron Dickey wrote:Hmm :thinking: wonder what the inside could look like well I am not this skilled but it sure looks nice.

Dream on!!!!

You are building a teardrop- not the Tradis, I don't think this will fit, he he
" Chances are- if you don't know where you are going, you will never get there"
Sidekick
Teardrop Master

Postby Esteban » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:05 pm

Ron, a couple of ideas for your consideration.

1. Where you have gaps to fill and cover, like from the roof to the side walls, you might fill in the gaps with expanding foam, shape the dried foam, then cover them with Titebond II, canvas strips, and paint like the foamies do. You may need to remove (sand off) any paint first so the TBII sticks well.

2. If your old doors are just a little too big to fit in the new TD trim off the excess with your table saw and then use your sander for a final fit.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:46 pm

Running up to the wall. Time is running out. all lights in upper body are connected and working, The lower lights will be attached tomorrow, then I get to plug in the car and see what happens.
:worship:
the hatch is almost done. the inside walls need to be attached
I have more wood for doors, handles, hinges and my wife said no windows just do the doors. So I am buying some peep holes.

I have the wiley windows figured but no time. but I will leave a hole in the middle 18x12 for wiley or grants windows.

The trolley windows are warping have some ideas.

I may show up at I R G in either trailer box kite :roll: cross bow

Wife is working on the costs and taxes. Got to fill out paper work too.

got to go to bed now work in the morning. :goodnight: :goodnight:

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:00 am

Stop the world. build on hold until after IRG.

so I guess this means I am not almost done after all. :crying2:
The wife and I had a heart to heart and we are coming in the boxkite.

I worked to hard but this is good. I will be looking at your trailer even closer. Asking if I can touch :baby: looking at every hinge every hatch every inside light every battery hook up every door.

asking what would you do different, asking looking seeing :question:

but I will not be hearing things like :awesome: no new trailer to show, however that means when you do see it. I should have a galley, it should have lights, saddle bags, LED lights all over the place,

so stay tune maybe at the next event you will see off in the distance a little blue trolley which is what I probably should have called it

The Little Blue Trolley.

Thanks for helping and watching stay tuned

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:18 am

121706 trolley top finished

121705Vent 99.99999 % done

121704 This is a surprise to me, I was about to try some bender board when my neighbor suggested a sheet of aluminum, he soon returned with a pc and now that part is history

The Little blue trolley gets to rest from all my whapping and banging

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:01 pm

I have not thought about my build for a wk. needed the sleep, It is nice to step back and take a look at it and know that I do not have a dead line and can do things that I had set aside for future.

I am writing this from the KOA in Petaluma CA. tomorrow we join those at the IRG and believe me I will be looking at each one of those 100 trailers very close. There seem to be know teardrops here mostly RV's and big trailers one has 3 axles and a back deck and screen door out back.

My old trailer I am in now the box kite. As we left town part of the wood fender fell into the street this will be the last time we take her out. :? Wish I was in a better trailer going to IRG sometimes you just have to wait, And do it right.

Happy 4th to you each.
Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: Cross Bow / trolley / renamed little blue trolley

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:27 pm

Took a rest after the IRG and had an accident on the way back from it. We were not hurt but trailer did very little but car was sideswipped by and van on one side and guard rail the other. Can drive it but needs new tires first and have not yet heard from the insurance?

I find it is hard to get back on to the build but I am starting to figure out what my next steps are.

1. start the Galley
2. fix the roof
3. finish the body wiring
4. make the saddles
5. build the doors
5A. build Wiley windows for them
6. put skin on hatch if I am done with it. considering rebuilding it. Saw several ideas at IRG.
7. locks for hatch
8. build the rest of the cabinets in the cabin.
9, get it licensed somewhere in there. after doors and hatch underside wires are complete.

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:35 pm

Now that I am back I need to make some corrections before I move forward.

on my back on the floor of the TD I realized the plexi windows up above were warped. I put gasket material around the ports and the screws are not above each hole but next to them so they warp out below the ports. so I will need to add gasket material between the ports to bring the plexi to the same level all across.

I am still not sure if I will rebuild the galley hatch but have taken lots of shots of hinges at the IRG which I will put on my gallery soon. I am not good names but on couple showed me how they reinforce it with Thick Plexiglass. Grant does the same with metal strips. it seemed to work for them and I am thankful for them showing me. I may do just that I found some thick plexiglass at Home Depot.

I need to move the new tires over from the old trailer and back on the new one, I will not be be pulling the old one sense the accident.

I need to add one set of wires in the wall to the galley before closing up the wall.

I know what galley design I want now I need to take a closer look at what we have and if it will fit. The lower part looks like it will stay the same but the stove will be stored somewhere and we will gain a drawer on the pull out where the stove will sit.

The Corolla although it drives just like it did before the accident is considered totaled from what I can tell. I could keep it with a salvage title. Or take the cash and find an old old CRV. with not as good of MPG :?

Doors are still being figured. I am getting closer.
Started a door hinge poll to see what is out there.

Have to do some painting on the inside trolley top. While I was off on the trip I put some lumber under the trailer so it would not warp so I can not get to the wiring until I find a place for them or install them on the trailer.

I need to pull the trailer out so I can show how it has improved.

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Starting back to work on the trailer.

I needed a long rest to much going on. settled on the car crash, I am keeping it for now. Still having some family health problems, but I am starting to draw out the galley and cut the drivers side top of the trailer it had a 1 inch lip above the side. The other side will be much harder to do it looks straight from the side but there is a one inch drop to the roof. I may have to add foam and a thin board to bring it up or drill holes in the side to let the water out. I will have to poor water on it to see what it will do.

My wife is much shorter then I so I have to make it reachable for her. Pull out dish and silverware holders may be needed and back cupboards my need to pull out or the shelves may have to swing out on the doors. It will be a much different looking galley when I am done.

pull out in a tight space will be a trip to figure. I have found several video's on youtube showing how to install the pulls help.
The doors will need to be started soon.

I am not use to stress and it is drawing my energy, I hope working on the trailer will relax me and help me get my head screwed back on.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby StockCube » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:57 am

Sorry to hear about the accident - that sort of thing can really shake you up. I hope you feel able to continue soon.
StockCube
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:04 pm

I am starting to work on the top edges of the roof I am still unsure if I should just reinforce the hatch or redo it. It will seems flimsy. as you can see I have and cross bar on it I am thinking of adding more to that joint or removing the corner and adding a second board below the original cross the top stick and making the down bars more ridged one person proudly showed me a plastic strip they added and I am looking into that.

I have cut the drivers side roof down you can see on the riders side the lip that I had. I will need to be more graceful about the riders cut it look right from the ground but will catch water if I do not remove it.

I realize now why so many galleys are so simple you will not really know until you are in the field what will work and what will not. I would bet that Mike who has built many a tear and other like him have done improvement changes to their galley each time. Adding or removing changing directions of doors or make them slide. placement of plugs, sinks, and truly better cupboards.

I am going to start with the basic and insert each part as I go along in part so if something does not work or brakes I and go backward and remove parts to get to the one that needs to be fixed. That is walls screwed in and not nailed and glued, parts put together outside the unit and then put into place before the cupboard next to it is put in and the cupboard screwed in not nailed and glued so If and when I need to back up or change the set up the basic frame will remain. Lego's had the right idea.

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals