Cross Bow / trolley / renamed little blue trolley

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Cross Bow / trolley / renamed little blue trolley

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:49 pm

i plan to try and finish my build this year things have changed so I will be spending more time at home and can finally get the main parts of the trailer done.

Not having a plan at the start :? has not helped me. and now being free'd to start working on this :NC to be coming more ;)

I have the screens for the trolly top done just need to attach them and move on to the outside windows being mounted and swing out for air.

have sever computer fans will mount them at opening of roof vent to blow either way. We do camp in Death Valley from time to time.

More pictures to come. :thumbsup:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:14 pm

Hi, Ron! I look forward to seeing more build pictures!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:43 pm

Great to hear about the build and get an update, Ron. Looking forward to the additional posts & pics. :D
Joanie
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:25 pm

I picked up boards for the outside windows for the trolly top
. 5'x 11 1/2 " Popular wood
Will cut length down to about 36" and cut the width in half. Then cut out where window goes -1/4 " all around the inside. Then use the router to cut a lip for it to lay in.

I know pictures. I might start that Wed. if i do not have jury Duty. :oops: always something. They use to call me at Christmas. :rofl:

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: Cross Bow / trolley

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:37 am

these windows inspired me and made the idea to making my own windows for the trolley to more real.

Here are the finished screens for the inside and the cut out plexiglass ready for the frames.

I will trace them then come in 1/4 inch then rout the edge so the window has a place to set in.

then design a push pull rod to open and close the windows. cutting a small slit in the screen frame where the cross slats are.
I will try and photograph it as I do it.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:52 pm

I am loosing track of time my last post was in jan and it feels like yesterday. I has been suggested that I pull the trailer out of the garage and it's cramped space where I can get at it. I have a folded up car port tent my mother in law gave us years ago, and park it in that.

I am left to finish t
he electrical underneath and inside. with install the lights they go to.
I have all the parts to the doors just got to build the sandwich and install the Wally window all cut and waiting.
buy and install the skin for the back hatch
Cut and install the fiberglass window for the outside of the trolley top. they will have brass hinges so I can open and close them. Planing on Desert camping.
Finish the wall between the cabin and the Galley.
the Galley is designed I just have to build it.
The small batteries I bought will power the computer fans with will blow air or suck out air through the back of the trolley top.
I have designed or have plans for funiture that will hold clothing against the back wall of the cabin.

then I can pull it in for plates.

I goofed there , on my the first trailer "the Box Kite" I made it into a flat bed then and took it in for plates. Then I had a flat bed to carry wood and other parts I needed before finishing the build.
oh it took me 5 years to build too but I had never built one and found people to help late in the build.

the bad part with this trailer is in building the front I used to much wood and it is heavy so when the galley is done it should counter the weight.

On ward and time to set a goal of finishing this before the wife kills me. :rofl:
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:51 pm

159392 these are the windows to go on the outside to let in air for those nights on the desert. there is a vent at the back also that will bring in or push out as needed. but when you do not want to run the battery just letting things air out naturally is best.

If you look close you will see they are a little thick I am going to rout out the inside so a pc of plexiglass can be embedded. hinges will be put on the back. I still need to sand them and cut a inch of the top to tall.

working on the wiring I have some notes on it but I have been away from it so long I may need to trace each wire. I am looking for the notes.

the front of the unit is a little heavy and when I get the galley built it should counter balance. The doors are ready to be assembled. I need to buy wood for the hatch.

I is time to go camping and trailer is not ready.... but I am.

I have kept my KOA member ship up but have not used it sense 2014 I havew VIP points and now it is time to use them. I do not want to sleep in just a tent. I want breakfast in the morning the teardrop way.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:06 pm

Time to pull her out of the garage and take new pictures. :pictures:

and out side will give me more room to work too. I have one of those Costco carports set up out front. The Prius is enjoying right now. :lol:

I am also beginning to look for a newer puller for it. :thinking:

The Corolla is still suffering from that Drunk that ran us off the road with the Boxkite in tow. :frightened:

the rear strut is bad and getting worse. and it is nearly 20 years old.

looking at a Prius v, Forrester, Rav4 hybrid, and the Tacoma (it is coming out with a Hybrid this year). $>
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:37 pm

here you can see the screen behind.

I am still sanding the insides and may cut the top of the window off the top found i could not get the hing on the back.

Discussion about how to get the hings on. http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=72070

the inside will be routed out so the plexiglass can be attached.

I had at fist wanted to put the plexi inside but decided i needed more air for those night in the Death Valley National Park with my cousin who is a desert Rat.
https://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

I am looking at 3 different units to pull it with, each has advantages over the other.
1. Tocoma Pickup ..........2. Forester.....................3. Prius V

1. carry's heaver weight, 2. AWD and best visibility, 3. best MPG

it will also depend on the weight of the over all trailer when I am done too.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:17 pm

July 30 2021 update

I made two of these

Routed out the inside of the frame.

inserted the plexiglass and drilled holes in it for tinny screws to hold it in place

Window installed

window open now I am trying to figure how to keep it open and close it.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:18 pm

Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:56 pm

My next project is the back wall between the galley and the cabin.

insolation is cut and 2 panels cut planing to glue and staple today.
between the two panels will be a drop down counter hinged at the back and will swing up when closed. So on rainy days we can eat in.

The doors are cut but it is hard for me to work on them I had such a hard time making them for the BoxKIte (which still lives but the roof rotted out).

I also have Steve (Esteban)'s trailer
26522 166405

I and a neighbor plan to have it finished in a year. I plan to call it "the Esteban " I have most of the parts making the build faster.

I also have 2 frame trailers which I plan to make into flatbeds or maybe one into a utility trailer.

but on with the little blue trolley build....
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:35 pm

Ya ho aI am home.
I still have 5 trailers, the one that Steve started and my neighbor is starting work on it.
I miss camping
working on the Galley
I have many projects and workong them all at the same time. So in time I will see you at a camp out of the Tears.

Right now I have had a tendon on my left should repaired and have to ware a arm sling for 3 more weeks.
I plan to pull out the trailer and see what need work and get the skin and the Galley hatch attached.
The galley design keeps changing new things are being invented every day.
so just as you think you have it a better idea comes along.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:32 pm

As my trailer nears completion the one thing I did wrong was to much wood in the front curve if I were to do it over the front would have 3 curves runing horizontal and verticals one right one lelft and one center runing through the arches.

At this time I can not lift the tung and realize I will need to move the axle forward. That will make the tung lighter.

otherwise I would have to cut of the fornt and start over. The way i did the rounded front was to extend the length of the trailer. being a harbor freight trailer the axel is in the right place but extending the trailer changed the set up of the weight to the trailer.

Wood working has change so much. I wish I lived in a big city where laser cutters are more easily found.

The designs I have seen out there are so exciting and the shape of teardrop trailers have changed for ever.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:24 pm

although my arm is in a sling, I ripped a tenon on my left shoulder, and am now on the mend.

Today I started working on the doors. Drivers side I cut out the holes where the Wiley window will go. I have most of the parts already cut.

Once I get that door done, the other should be simple.

I have to check the wires and attach the LED lights for inside, around the Galley, under the carrage, and on the Rear hatch break lights.

Things still to be done. Skin for the Galley hatch, wall between the Galley and the hatch 1/2 done, finish the back brake light wiring, attach the side walls all ready cut except the holes for the inside plugs.

The fans for air inside and out of the Trolley top at the rear. (most parts cut out)

And the Galley assembled.

It has been a long hard road for me to get here. I started it back in 2014 and thought I would have it made for 2014 IRG. I had to pull my old trailer up instead. Good thing I did because on the way home we got side swipped by a Drunk. The car was more got more damage then the trailer, not enough to tow and got home missing my drivers side mirror.

When we got back my wife had to become a caretaker for her mother who died about 5 years later. And we inherited stuff along with 3 other owners in the family. :NC

year before last Steve Boyer went to a senior home and I got a call if I wanted 3 trailers for free. So now I had 6 trailers a Shasta (inheritance) my old boxkite, my cross bow trailer (largely done ), and a 4 foot wide and a 5 foot wide bare frame trailers.

This last may I had shoulder surgery.

I am beginning to get the Teardrop trailer camping itch so the cross bow is getting priority again!! It does not snow here at Christmas.

As I was working on the trailer Doug Hodder challenged me to make a Tolley top. Unfortunately Doug will not get to see it when I am done he passed away and will be missed.

Hope to be camping soon.

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals