Cross Bow / trolley / renamed little blue trolley

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Cross Bow

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:06 pm

Ron Dickey wrote:Now I can get going :thumbsup:

I looked at all the different ways and may have to backtrack later but for now I used Gasket material like you use in plumbing.

Stapled it on and hammered the staples in deeper.
116980 it comes in sheet and I just cut it with sizzzzzzers and put it together like a jig saw puzzzzzzel. :)

I clamped one with plexiglass scrap and wood and pored water on it. it stayed dry.

I am thinking later of glassing the window wood area .... but that is much later.

I am now attaching the roof ribs to the trolley and moving on.....

my idea of putting gaskets around openings failed the plexi warped so some degree. I looked up and I could see light where it should not have been I have removed the seals and the plexi is loosely sitting up there. I am thinking of getting a lot of it and putting it up a sheets. But I may just return to putting silicone around the opening from the outside. and may later remove it and try again. :thinking:

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: Cross Bow / trolley / renamed little blue trolley

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:42 pm

took advantage of the christmas sales and got a Battery Tender 022-018-dl-wh
Now I get to figure where it goes.

making the switch cover for the main light switchs in the trailer Hopefully I can cut out where the switch go with out it cracking. Plexiglass.
:thinking: None of these smile guys have wires in their hands hmmm? getting a jolt of juice :lol:
once the switches are in place then I get go check the wiring before screwing it into place.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:05 am

family things getting in the way of my build.
INSIDE WALLS: Getting ready to seal the front parts of the inside of the trailer, then I can install the reading lights.
FRONT INSIDE SWITCH PANLES: switch and plug for cabin lights done on drivers side now to do the same on the riders side. plus set up boards for where the side cabinet can be attached through the inside wall.
HATCH: The hatch skin is about to be attached plus side locks for the hatch.
SPEAKERS: I am going to install speakers on the walls after the doors, I am designing the covers to hide them.
IMPROVING ON OLD IDEAS::I draw and redraw the trailer on my drawing book before I walk into work. I keep looking at new ideas improving on old designs, setting my self up for my next move.
CABIN BACK WALL: I am getting ready to set up the back wall the wall between the cabin and the galley.
DOORS: Once the inside wall are in place I can better judge the door, and it''s weather stripping.
WILLEY WINDOWS: I have decided to make handles on the top of the willey window wedges that hold the glass in when window is closed with small teardrop trailers with holes where the wheels go, that is where my fingers would go when pulling them out. It will have curtain rod that can be raised or lowered.
SIDE DECKS: they are not yet attached. The bracket that holds it is longer then the wood on top and I am working on whether to make it a support pc for the top of the saddle but not having a battery I do no know quite how to set up the shelving inside the saddle.
I will soon need to revisit the trolley windows I am thinking of a bottom support strip for it to rest on.

I just keep on trucking
Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:50 pm

Steve from san luis obispo gave me a pc of bender board for my trolley top nose. I front was so steep that the average ply would not bend. so as I was playing with the board, my neighbor dropped by with a pc of sheet metal. I liked the look and put it on. now it has a touch of the tin man with sheet metal screws holding it down. I put some wood at beginning and end but will need to sand the hell out of them to make them less of an eye sore.

the back of the trolley has it's own vent I have not put in a fan motor yet. But I have several computer fans to work with.
130102 121705 there is a fine screen behind that coarse one.

The windows for the trolley did not work and I have to down load them to show you how they became warped. I am now considering Wiley windows for them. I wonder if I can do one Wiley window for 3 holes or If I will once again be slowed by 3 Wiley's on each side. :frightened: :NC

I try to put in at least 15 min a day into the trailer be it drawing or glue and hammer. I ran into a crimping problem I have a crimper but it does not apply enough pressure and wire slips out. anyway once I get the crimping problem solved I will be putting in the front light switch plate. I am getting ready to drill the holes.

I am about to put in the back wall between the cabin and the galley still have some glitches there. Just have to find the right part.

I cleaned the garage so I can move around without tripping. I need to get the inside wood for the doors then I can get that started. I feel I have the Wiley Windows for the doors fully designed and want to have the doors ready with the hole so I can have the windows built to size. Little bear retiring I will not try and have them the same size manufactured windows. If they fail I will just have to build better ones!! I am also considering a cover for them so when the doors are open the windows will not be exposed to dirt, wind or sneezes. It will be like having a cover for you toaster.

In the past week I have been approached by folks who live here that are building a TD. I tell them to come to this forum and learn all. One is in Morro Bay, CA a trailer that sounds like it will be very much worth watching. One is in Atascadero, CA an up date of an old trailer will be pulled by a rav4, and the last the father of a young man asked my help for his son, who is attending Davis University will be doing his build in Arroyo Grande, CA. And he is learning as he builds and will have many questions. He wants solar on his and it looks like it may be his own design in shape of the trailer as well. I look forward to seeing what all these great people have to offer to the Teardrop world.

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:09 pm

The Trolley windows became warped with added screws.
The above photo shows top with screws removed you can see what I am up against. The bottom photo shows it with the screws and you can see it warped and not water tight.
Putting the gasket material only around the windows left high and low valleys116979 I tried to put gasket material where the screws went but it seams that did not work. If I make these into Wiley windows I will have lots of air when I camp in Death Valley or that type of area where heat make air a must. I could even put wet cloths on the windows making it into a type of swamp cooler.
Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:26 am

8) Yeah, Ron.....keep on truckin'....LBT will soon be a towing.
TDN
:R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:42 am

I have not been on for a while But I keep plugging away at the trailer.

I have been trying to figure out the trolly windows. I am going to cover them with swing in picture frame type windows. Using a bolt and a wing nut to keep it closed tight.
1. I will attach sheet of screen material over each opening and staple them in place.
2 will take sheets of gasket material lay them over each opening and trace out the window onto the gasket material so I know where to cut. Than staple the gasket material over the screen material
3. I will make picture frame window frames, square with plexiglass attached to the frame with a stay.
4. drill a hole through the bolt insert a pin through it and hold it down with half a hinge with pin removed and pin in bolt in it's place or make one out of wood. to hold the bolt to the wall
5 drill a whole through the frame side opposite the hinged side.
6. the bolt will go through the hole in the frame and a wing nut will make it tight against the gasket material.
I will cut out a pc of plexiglass in place of glass.

I have been also working on the back wall of the cabin. The wall between the cabin and the galley.
insolation and wires will go in the squares and some wires will go there too. then each side of the wall will be cover with a sheet of wood.

I have also been working on the wiring in the walls of the cabin and the switches for the reading light, cabin & outside door lights, sound plug, and 12v power plugs.
I have just drilled out light covers for the light switches. and will soon paint the back black as you can see in the picture you see more then you want. :?
left to right
first switch inside or outside lights, 12v dc plug, stereo plug, reading light.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:43 am

I painted the backs of the plexi switch covers. I had to do more drilling on one and it cracked :x in half. So I watched a couple of youtube video's and leaned the type of drill to use and how to cut plexi better. I will take photo's of that equipment when I used it. A step drill and a vibrating :thumbsup:
I have to solder the stereo plug then I can mount the one complete switch plate and photograph it done. :pictures:

I am starting the Wiley windows. I am starting with 2x4 s cut to height and precutting any angles, then a friend with a better table saw will cut them in half in width for the sides. I will pre make them before the doors so they will be inserts in the window cut out on the doors.

I broke a tooth, it cost me $2000 to fix $> and so I have less money to spend on my build for a while. But I will nickel and dime my way into finishing this build.

I have figured out the windows for the Trolley and will start building them next time I pull out my small table saw. I had thought of buying old picture frames at garage sales for a buck or less each but they are not to size.

I hope to have it done by this time next year. But my puller car in the shape it is in now can not pull it. So I am looking for a replacement that gets as good of a gas milage. I could pull with the truck which needs new tires and a tune up. Is all I can do is get her built and see what happens at the other end. :thumbsup: keeping positive. :oops: :NC :thinking: :thumbsup: :beer:

Ron 8)
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:04 pm

I have not started on the doors but I want to start the Wiley windows first, so I knew what size to make the windows on the doors.
I started with a 2x4 kill dried. I cut it into the length I wanted the sides top be.
I cut out the cross supports these are a little long so I will need to shorten them about an inch.
I cut the ends off if you look at the back ground those are what I cut off. this 2x4 came with rounded corners. and I will need to attach other wood to that side and do not want it to leak.
I cut on the table saw a notch for the upper cross support pc. because of the angle at the bottom the bottom support bar will need to be attached on the inside between the 2 sides. I drilled a whole through each 2x4 pc I did not have a drill long enough to go through both 2x4 pc's so I had to flip it and drill each.
this gives you the general idea of what it will look like, but I have 2 more cuts to do. as you see below.

I have a long way to go. but once they are glued I can start making the outside frame and screen what will go between the outside apron and the inside window support pc's.

I am designing individual windows for the trolley top and have cut out the grove that will hold the glass. I have working out that they will look al little like picture fames with rounded corners. they will have cupboard hinges but the catch for keeping it closed is still in the works.
one is to use spring hinges and a bolt with wing nut to close it and the other(with regular hinge) I have found a little spring hook that might keep it closed. The windows will be in 3 sizes and be 6 in all. I have drawings but have not photographed them yet.
I keep plugging along. 8)
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:18 pm

as shown before my switch plate was in need of a backing. as seen below.
I bought some black paint and painted the backs of each. Unfortunately I need to drill more holes and the one I had finished cracked in half and I need to make a new one.
below is one painted on the back and you can see some reflection on the front. But as you can see the home is not great.
I bought a graduated drill bit from harbor freight to drill the holes. I need to figure out how to make my drill press go faster. I needs high speed.
So I will practice on some smaller pc's before attempting to do the new plate.

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:17 pm

Thanks for all the updates, Ron.
Keep going...We're watching! :SG
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:24 pm

I can not remember if I said it before but if you want more info on Wiley Windows and see what others have done go to:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=57192

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:45 pm

Love the new name.

I need to get me some of those little round vents. Your looks nice up there on top.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:36 pm

next week I have 2 days off I will see if I can pull it out and do a new shoot. Still no doors but once I have the Wiley windows done I can start on the doors. The rear hatch is on but not skinned.

I was thinking of putting the spare under it but with all that is going into the back I may need to bring the tire to the tung and make it into a table.

I created this for the tire for my first trailer" boxkite" 2007-2014
I still have it painted it white.
the plan was would go on the back but not look as nice as this 53310
Now it could become a permeant table at the front.

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:27 am

I have an old door from my first trailer which I replaced later with new doors. On that door and transferred to the new door was a window from litle bear, Grants window is 12" x 18" the smallest he sold.
So I pulled it out. This is the most basic door I could make at the time not understanding how doors were built.
I took the frame I have not assembled.
and put it in the door, I want to keep this size so if I fail I can put in one of grants windows or move my windows once again and just cover the holes.
I found using the 2x4 made it not deep enough. I realized I did not have to make the door as thick as long as it was smooth on the outside I would have a little more room inside.
I build my trailers like a house with suds.
in this shot you can see the old trailer and it's window and the new with it's studs.

I am also getting closer to making the windows for each of the trolley windows, I have cut the wood and grooved them for the glass. I am still working on the hinges and type of closure.

I am about to cut the new switch cover and show you a picture of the type of tool I now use to drill the holes in the plexiglass. I am painting the back of the one that works and when dry I will show you a photo of it mounted.

I am beginning to work on the hatch. it does not close on the body right and may need to put on a added skin on the house side to keep the elements out. And in the future build a new one when I better understand how to make one.by then LED light will have gotten better and I can make new lights for it too.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals