Cross Bow / trolley / renamed little blue trolley

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Cross Bow

Postby KCStudly » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:38 am

Do a web search for "Bearing Distributors Los Osos CA".

Looks like there are several in Santa Maria. Call them first to see if the have it. They may not be able to xref the part number, but with accurate measurements, or the seal in hand they should have no trouble finding an equivalent seal.

After washing the bearings I would at least put some light oil or something on them to keep them from flash rusting. Grease them and put them in a sandwich bag to keep clean.
Last edited by KCStudly on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:26 pm

This seal thing has stumped me, I am checking on the seal and posted the question on the General site.

I need to move on pulled out the coupler and took the bolts out. I do not like the chain that comes with it I like having a hook with a clip on it

I should have the hubs on soon with tires so I can pull it out of the garage and start working on the wood part.

two weeks in I have been redesigning parts of the trailer many many drawings. Most of my concern right now is the outside but one has to think about the inside for where shelves will be, wires, galley and cabin lights, sound, venting and windows. where outside storage connects and interacts with the walls as well as inside of the trailer.

The galley will have a swing up counters right and left. a tailgate and side wind catchers. It will be probably quite rough.

It is interesting to see how I can fit this work between work, family, and other events.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: Cross Bow 3-12-13

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:28 am

starting to work on the front left right bow at front of trailer. working out what to use to bring it up to level of rest of bed of trailer.

am still working on bearings but it I spend to much time on it I with out working on the rest of the trailer I will be out of time.

When you come across a rough part is help to stop and maybe work on a different part of the build so you come back fresh and less frustrated.

I keep going in to stores looking for things I can use, or make my own at home. I am starting to dig through what i already have that I got for my first build that I can use on my second.

I will need to replace some of the bolts with longer ones to new flooring or replacing parts that will better with this build.

I keep resketching the trailer looking for new ways to do something or a better angle on the build.

Seeing others builds gives me not only ideas but confidence that I can do that or this..... :thumbsup:

once I get the floor down it should start flying together. I will keep buying things before I come home. advantage of working at a Hardware store. :wine:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:32 pm

Ron Dickey wrote:This seal thing has stumped me, I am checking on the seal and posted the question on the General site.

I need to move on pulled out the coupler and took the bolts out. I do not like the chain that comes with it I like having a hook with a clip on it

I should have the hubs on soon with tires so I can pull it out of the garage and start working on the wood part.

two weeks in I have been redesigning parts of the trailer many many drawings. Most of my concern right now is the outside but one has to think about the inside for where shelves will be, wires, galley and cabin lights, sound, venting and windows. where outside storage connects and interacts with the walls as well as inside of the trailer.

The galley will have a swing up counters right and left. a tailgate and side wind catchers. It will be probably quite rough.

It is interesting to see how I can fit this work between work, family, and other events.

Ron

I picked up a new set of cables to use in place of the chains and it has just that clip on it.
Got my hubs done but one seems a little tight I will take it back apart and see what's up.
I am starting to build the arch made a template of cardboard and just transfered that shape to a pc of plywood.
cut some wood today with my mini table saw .... needs a new blade it smokes.

should have my plywood this week or next and start the floor.

I was told that for around $150 I can replace the axel and have a hub that is american and ezyer to find parts for. there are thousands of trailers in this county you would think there would be trailer houses everywhere.
Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:07 am

I went with a pair of stainless steel quick link.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: Cross Bow hd trailer assembled 3-16-13

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:29 am

The trailer is for the most part assembled. One hub seams tight so later I will take it back apart and see what is what.

The build has begun I have started the arch.
103279 seen here is the template, the bottom of the arch with blocks glued and stapled on the bottom part of the arch. This is upside down I will later flip it over. I have a friends Belt sander and will refine the arch before making any more parch parts.
103278 I cut the blocks with my power miter saw numbered each end of each block so incase it got dropped or messed up I could put it back the way it was.
103277 the tung on the HF trailer has parts that stick up so I had to chisel out the parts of the cross board that crossed it. The long peace that runs along the red bar will after hit has been flipped be screwed to the bar. I will drill holes and use wood screws to hold it in place.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:42 am

I will next buy my plywood I am going for 1/2 " and will sandwich it to another 1/2 " board with insolation and other support between.
it looks like I will need to cut the 4x8's in half and turn them each sideways to the boards really do go over the sides.

I plan to pait the under side last time I used tar and the foggy weather hear did not allow the tar to dry for a week.

A tool I need and always wanted should make things easier.

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:00 pm

Ron Dickey wrote:The trailer is for the most part assembled. One hub seams tight so later I will take it back apart and see what is what.

The build has begun I have started the arch.
103279 seen here is the template, the bottom of the arch with blocks glued and stapled on the bottom part of the arch. This is upside down I will later flip it over. I have a friends Belt sander and will refine the arch before making any more parch parts.
103278 I cut the blocks with my power miter saw numbered each end of each block so incase it got dropped or messed up I could put it back the way it was.
103277 the tung on the HF trailer has parts that stick up so I had to chisel out the parts of the cross board that crossed it. The long peace that runs along the red bar will after hit has been flipped be screwed to the bar. I will drill holes and use wood screws to hold it in place.

Very nicely demonstrated photos, Ron. :thumbsup: Will you be done enough to use it at the Dam Gathering?

PS. Have you ever camped at Zaka Lake? Can a person still camp there?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:39 pm

S. Heisley wrote:
Very nicely demonstrated photos, Ron. :thumbsup: Will you be done enough to use it at the Dam Gathering?

I beleave I can finish or at least have a sleep-able trailer. If not I have a back up.

and no I have not camped anywhere in Santa Barbara County, I seams there Zada offers a retreat and some camping but seems like a private company renting the area.

Most folk camp at http://www.countyofsb.org/parks/parks05.aspx?id=9150 Cachuma Lake.

I spend more time camping in Northern CA. or in the desert like Owen's Valley When it is hot. But up in the hills it is very cool.

One way or the other I will see you up at the Dam Gathering.

Tomarrow, I pick up my Plywood sheets so I can start on the floor. I am thinking of putting Poly-Wall on the bottom (mold and mildew proof) Glues on with FRP glue.

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:48 pm

I bought some 4x8 s today, some insulation The plywood in thinner then on my other trailer. I wanted to buy some kiln dried 2x4's and cut them down thinner but my table saw blade is shot and I can't get it off.

a new one, the type I want costs 129 at home Depot. I could try HF but I do not fully trust their table saws. The smaller ones. I could ask a neighbor is he could cut them for a price. I could look on craig's list.

but anyway I took off the top bolts on the trailer so I could bolt on the first level of 4x8, but first I have to do some painting or attach poly wall (have to ask others about it first), Tar never dries here. but if I put it on and put the board on the trailer I would not be under there until I put the lights on.

Borrowed a belt sander from a buddy but I can not get the belt on and old sears where you push the body down on the front wheel and it unlocks. I have done everything short of hitting it. I was told to put it on the end of the counter and push down. I will have to take it back and say show me.
Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:15 am

beginning to take shape

laying out scrap wood to get an idea of what the main floor will look like.

planning out where the first stick of the curve will go and how far to fan them out.
I am thinking of putting support wood around the base of each stick then I have the second layer of the floor cut and shaped, and will cut out where each stick will go.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: Cross Bow 3-25-13

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:58 pm

I am ready for the main floor.

I have insolation installed will be picking up a fairly thick floor tomorrow. I need one because I like to put anchors in the floor to tight stuff down when traveling and a thin floor will not hold.
the strips that I used for between the lower and upper floor I had to route out places for the bolts to go and drill them so they could be bolted to the frame and hold the lower floor in place.
The front curve is almost ready for insulation I need to wait for the main floor so I make sure the hight of the curved floor is close enough to the level of the main floor. Pillows will make up the difference as long as the drop is not to much. then I can start putting in the studs and spooks, cut the walls to fit, cut the door.

:cry: Oh know I have to do the door thing again. Gun ports???? :roll: Arrg does that bring back memories. Maybe I will move the old doors over!! :worship: I hate building doors.
but I think I under stand them better. now!! Maybe I should call Steve B?? :NC (you have to read the history of the Box Kite to under stand this)

I am a little over one month into my build the trailer build and bearings set me back a little, and fitting it around a 40 hr job can make one run out of energy too.

Things to buy or build windows, door and hatch latches and locks, Roof air duct thing, hinges for galley, LED brake lights to replace the ones that came with the hf frame. I know I left something out.

Ron :wine:
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:04 pm

This build is following no plans. it is all in my head and one paper as I draw it. I did that with the box kite too.

It is taking me longer because I am not following directions, plans ( other from my own). This is my second build so I can go faster and have seen hundreds of trailers. So I do think I can get it done in time for the 20 th dam Gathering. NOT the 21st :lol:

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: Cross Bow slowing down build 3/31/13

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:12 am

S. Heisley wrote:

This is a question I have been asking myself.

My wife well I forgot to tell her that is what I was aiming for .... she feels I should take my time and do it right. And when it came to the Galley,it is more for her to design.
She was expecting us to go in the Box Kite.
So I may have to wait for the IRG 5.o to show it off.
We are working hard on designing the Galley, and I have wanted a curved galley and was going to do a Weekender quick cut galley .... money will be ezyer too for buying the right things needed.

by the time I am ready for Dam Run I will have the font done. and the studs up and allow me to better plan the insides.

Good thing I took pictures of the load for the Box Kite so I will know how I loaded it last time.

Besides I need to work on the Dam gathering buttons and to a few improvements to the Box Kite.
I was thinking of moving the doors from the box kite over to the Cross Bow, however, I will have time to make a even better door.
I am thinking of making my own windows and air vent like Roly did.

And I will have time to learn cabinetry and make sure she has a place she likes to cook in.

That took a lot of pressure off my shoulders. but I am still designing it in my sleep, paper, and seeing what others have done.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out. :applause:

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:28 pm

just because my wife pulled the plug does not mean I have stopped building, it just means that I will not build it in 60 days.

I cut all the studs at the front of the trailer that is up to where the galley begins.

I but the boards for the door ways, The front bow is almost done just need to do some sanding and paint the underside.

the arch is the same hight now as the floor side boards.

I am working on how to put in the saddle bag type storage too.

My wife did not know I have a sink for the trailer made her happy. I am thinking of having the sink as a pull out and keeping the tankless stored above it so she can turn it on and have hot water for washing the dishes. (she does not like the way I wash them :? )

I plan to buy a new trailer brake light set LED soon.

The size of the side studs was hard. I did my math over and over finally I left out the planned height of the stud and added all the other parts then subtracted the total from 48 and realized the true length of the studs.

I want the gutter to be 1/4 " or so, the floor is 2+ 4/16", the top stud (running front to back) is 12/16", the cross bar is 1+ 8/16", and the top 3/16 " after all was done I came up with a length of 43" is what I settled on. for the studs. :hammer:

I will use a cloth measure tape to figure out how much wood will be needed for the front curve.

I am still working on my electrical diagrams I only know I will have a 120 plug in the side of the trailer I have seen what others have done and it looks ezy.

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals