Tear build without a plan

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Tear build without a plan

Postby 91kuhndog » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:14 pm

OK, I'm going to jump into this build blind! Well, not completely. I'm going to build this tear using no real plans but rather I think I'm just going to wing it! I'm going to make a lot of changes to the classic Benroy plans Mike put on here back in 2007.. then whatever happens, happens. The jist of this build is to get familiar with assembly concepts and to get all the small details worked out. FOr the few I've met on here, I'm planning on building a 5x11 with a cargo rack on the front and an elaborate kitchen for tailgating. This one is a practice to that :twisted:

I went this morning to pick up a 4x8 utility trailer from a friend who was tired of it sitting in his yard... the price was right because I got a load of trash to go with it; all for the amazing price of free! Two hours later, I had it cleaned out, stripped to the frame rails, and ready to start some fabrication.

Last edited by 91kuhndog on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Our only limitations in life are purely self-induced!

My build; viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54749
91kuhndog
Donating Member

Re: Tear build without a plan

Postby 91kuhndog » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:17 pm

free trash with free trailer
Attachments
trailer side trash.JPG
This is what I found this morning.
trailer side trash.JPG (242.19 KiB) Viewed 5114 times
Last edited by 91kuhndog on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

91kuhndog
Donating Member

Postby 91kuhndog » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:25 pm

A few more pix... sorry ,I'm still working on the reduction of the pix. :NC New to forums too, just trying to figure all this photo attachment and captioning stuff out. :thinking:

91kuhndog
Donating Member

Postby GuyllFyre » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:46 pm

I also am "working without a plan" but the plan is in my head and once it works, will be transferred to paper.

There's also a plan for a second but my first is a "cheap, quick, and dirty" build to be campable by May 4th.

I'm working from a simplified Benroy type profile, going without full galley and instead going to put in a tailgate.

Nice find on the trailer! Mine also is "free" since I inherited it from my dad, who got it from his, but I'm putting nearly $300 in new parts into it to get it set up for my car.

I'm going to keep a running tally on the costs just to get an idea.
Things I have for sale on craigslist:
http://albany.craigslist.org/search/?ar ... catAbb=sss

Things I have for sale on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/merchant/seansmith
GuyllFyre
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:53 pm

All 3 of mine were not an elaborate plan. The most I did was a full size profile on 1/4" plywood. I drew in all the important stuff on the profile template. I worked well.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:21 am

Plans, we don't need no stinkin Plans!

I've built quite a few with little more than a sketch on a piece of paper.

After doing it like this for so many years....the truth is, I probably couldn't use or read a plan!

ImageImage

http://s26.beta.photobucket.com/user/le ... 20trailers

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby 91kuhndog » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:57 pm

Thanks Len.. you're right. I build BBQ smokers and custom trailer, all without plans. But that is my comfort zone and this is new, I tihnk that's what draws me to this idea. I can adlib a lot when I'm welding and fabricating or even doing woodworking for that matter, but to take on a project like a teardrop "cold turkey" can be a bit intimidating.

AND... Woodbutcher, I've sat & looked at your builds, you do great work! If I can get this first one done, which I'll & more than likely sell, I'm already planning on a much larger teardrop 5x12 or so.... with a rack to carry the golf cart and a small smoker. I've drawn the plans up for that one & have a lot of parts in the shed but I want ot start small to help me understand basic TD building concepts.

OH... and by the way, my daughter has allready named the bigger TD I'm planning to build next year.... you ready for this? She's called it the "Taj Ma-tear" :D

And oh yeah, BTW, I did pick up more steel this afternoon and plan on making sparks tomorrow afternoon! Pix to follow!

91kuhndog
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:04 pm

The best way to build an inexpensive camper is to not keep track. :roll: ;)
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:02 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
KCStudly wrote:The best way to build an inexpensive camper is to not keep track. :roll: ;)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Oldragbaggers » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:49 pm

91kuhndog wrote:OK, I'm going to jump into this build blind! Well, not completely. I'm going to build this tear using no real plans but rather I think I'm just going to wing it! I'm going to make a lot of changes to the classic Benroy plans Mike put on here back in 2007.. then whatever happens, happens.

In other words, you're going to do what most of us did!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Woodbutcher wrote:All 3 of mine were not an elaborate plan. The most I did was a full size profile on 1/4" plywood. I drew in all the important stuff on the profile template. I worked well.

Same here Steve........

Of course, even that changed!!

There were a few details that I had absolutely decided on before I started. The plan I used for the rest was to think it to death, talk it to death, dream about it, agonize over it and then usually do something totally spontaneous when I actually got to it. There are a few things I wish I had done differently, but for the most part I am very happy with my choices.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:01 pm

Becky, I know what you mean. After cruising this site for a couple months I just started. Worked on it when I had time and then it would go back in the barn till I had more time. The hardest part was trying to pick it up again after a few weeks or months and try to remember what I was doing. More then once I said to myself, "what was I thinking , I can't remember why I did that" !
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 91kuhndog » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:29 pm

I took off work early this afternoon so I could make sparks on the trailer.... and I did just that. We had temps here in the upper 60's this afternoon so I felt the need to take advantage of that.

All the sharpie marks I put on the trailer are now battle scars. No turning back now.

Hows this for a modified tongue tube? 3/8" thick box tubing.... over 100# on the bathroom scales. Unreal, no wonder hte guy wanted it out of the yard so bad.

Tools, got to have tools! A lot of cutting, much more to come!

The ole Wheel Horse yard tractor doing what it does best! Next weekend, I'm going to flip the axle to the tops of the leaf springs, move the spring mounts up about 2"... to get the frame deck down 4-5". Right now, it's sitting 19" above the ground. I'm also going to clean all the utility trailer bracketry from the frame. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky before next weekend & find an afternoon to bust more work out.

91kuhndog
Donating Member

Postby PaulS » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:15 pm

I know this is off topic but is that a harbor freight motor on that wheel horse. I did that on mine. It now has a 13 hp was an 8 hp
PaulS
PaulS
Teardrop Master

Postby 91kuhndog » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:05 pm

It is Paul. I still have the original Kohler K181 motor that came on it new but since I use this in parades, this powerplant made more sense. A lot more reliable than the old Kohler... even after I put a brand new K181 on it about 11 years ago.... it blew up less than 2 years later. $99, and it's into it's 9th year and gets used A LOT!

91kuhndog
Donating Member

Postby PaulS » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:54 pm

Wow, I can tell that you are an out of the box thinker like me. When I did my cargo trailer it was in my head, then on graph paper, then I set the lay out up in my garage. My wife thought I was crazy. She's happy now. I did not know about this site back then. Now I have the bug to build a tear but I will not be until next year. I'm sure that you will do well with your build. Looking forward to seeing more
PaulS
PaulS
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Build Journals