Citylights' Tear - SOLD! - update 08-01-16

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Citylights' Tear

Postby floridadon » Sat May 30, 2015 8:18 pm

Following your build too ! Its great !
floridadon
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Citylights' Tear

Postby blentz » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:51 pm

Great job, I too have a FJ and going to build a TD for a little offroad. Thanks for the reports.
blentz
Teardrop Builder

Citylights' Tear - SOLD!

Postby citylights » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:54 pm

Sadly after a 4 year build and use experience, I sold my teardrop trailer. Sad to see somebody else drive away with it. I sold it for $4k. I had just over that in materials in it. I hope they enjoy it!

Some of my thoughts about teardrops and why I sold it...

The good.

Small, inexpensive, easy to tow, goes everywhere. Super fun learning experience and build. It fit inside my garage for building and storage. Awesome experience camping with the off-road community. They mostly use ground tents or roof-top-vehicle tents. Very few use small trailers. Large trailers are a no-go for these trips.

The bad.

My wife found that she is mildly claustrophobic. Not horrible, but just enough to be uneasy inside the teardrop with the doors closed. She spent the maiden voyage camp trip with her door partially open or even fully open. Fortunately we were boon docking in the middle of nowhere in mild weather with no bugs. She got used to it for future trips and would sleep with the doors closed, but it was always a factor.

Teardrop is too small for me. I hated the fact that I could not dress inside it. We set up a side "shower" tent and used that to dress and as a porta potty. Not convenient. The whole open the door and jump in philosophy crashed with that.

Teardrop bed doors open up to the outside world! I was fine with that for remote camping, but I didn't like that in a campground. Honestly, I normally sleep in my underwear. (I know, TMI...) so in the teardrop I had to sleep in PJs. Not comfortable and nearly impossible to change inside.

I always found myself carrying too much camp gear in the bed of the teardrop. Table, chairs, bbq, portable awning. Often an extra cooler and food storage bin. Lots of setup and tear down for weekend trips. I don't know if that is going to improve with a larger trailer.

Hmmm... Is that the only bad I can name? Yup. New camp trailer needs to be big enough to stand in and it needs a potty. Damn, I should have built a 10-foot standy! Too late now.

So now I am looking for an 16-18 foot camp trailer. Maybe a scamp or similar lightweight trailer. I think that would be ideal for me. My wife is pushing for a larger 20-22 footer, but that's getting too big for me and my tow vehicle! I may end up paying a premium for an aluminum lightweight 20 footer.

I'm also looking longingly at a 14 foot cargo trailer to convert... FUN, but that's just not likely.

citylights
500 Club

Re: Citylights' Tear - SOLD!

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:26 pm

citylights wrote:Sadly after a 4 year build and use experience, I sold my teardrop trailer. Sad to see somebody else drive away with it. I sold it for $4k. I had just over that in materials in it. I hope they enjoy it!

Some of my thoughts about teardrops and why I sold it...

The good.

Small, inexpensive, easy to tow, goes everywhere. Super fun learning experience and build. It fit inside my garage for building and storage. Awesome experience camping with the off-road community. They mostly use ground tents or roof-top-vehicle tents. Very few use small trailers. Large trailers are a no-go for these trips.

The bad.

My wife found that she is mildly claustrophobic. Not horrible, but just enough to be uneasy inside the teardrop with the doors closed. She spent the maiden voyage camp trip with her door partially open or even fully open. Fortunately we were boon docking in the middle of nowhere in mild weather with no bugs. She got used to it for future trips and would sleep with the doors closed, but it was always a factor.

Teardrop is too small for me. I hated the fact that I could not dress inside it. We set up a side "shower" tent and used that to dress and as a porta potty. Not convenient. The whole open the door and jump in philosophy crashed with that.

Teardrop bed doors open up to the outside world! I was fine with that for remote camping, but I didn't like that in a campground. Honestly, I normally sleep in my underwear. (I know, TMI...) so in the teardrop I had to sleep in PJs. Not comfortable and nearly impossible to change inside.

I always found myself carrying too much camp gear in the bed of the teardrop. Table, chairs, bbq, portable awning. Often an extra cooler and food storage bin. Lots of setup and tear down for weekend trips. I don't know if that is going to improve with a larger trailer.

Hmmm... Is that the only bad I can name? Yup. New camp trailer needs to be big enough to stand in and it needs a potty. Damn, I should have built a 10-foot standy! Too late now.

So now I am looking for an 16-18 foot camp trailer. Maybe a scamp or similar lightweight trailer. I think that would be ideal for me. My wife is pushing for a larger 20-22 footer, but that's getting too big for me and my tow vehicle! I may end up paying a premium for an aluminum lightweight 20 footer.

I'm also looking longingly at a 14 foot cargo trailer to convert... FUN, but that's just not likely.

It sounds to me like you found out that you are more of a big RVer, rather than a tent or teardrop camper. At least you had the experience of building something and camping in it and found out that way rather than paying a bundle for a manufactured teardrop. Glad you could at least get your money out of it and are on to bigger and better-for-you things! Best wishes for the future.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:40 pm

Been there, done that. I still miss the teardrop every now and then but not enough to get rid of the one we have now and go back to one. Make sure and post some pics of your new trailer.... :thumbsup:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:34 pm

There was a guy from southern California that make a really nice teardrop with running water in the back and a skylight up top. But he still suffered from that fear of closed in places. His wife loved it.

Some times therapy just cost more then the teardrop. :R

Our new one has a trolley top so if we can handle it we just sit up and look out side.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:53 am

So Sorry to hear John :cry:
All I can say is "Windows, Windows, Windows!"
Let the light shine in! ;)
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Loving Teardrop Camping!!!!!!!!!!
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

That is a lot to go through

Postby Brushy_Bill » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:48 pm

To see it get pulled away, and gone.
I hope you find or build something more to suit you, and your wife,
at least now, you know what your don't want.

I can understand the cons you listed.
I have spent many months in my cad software drawing Grumman's,
Weekenders and a Cricket style.

I looked at all of the things I would want to take along and there is no way
I couldn't do it without having to pack stuff in the bedding area. That means
it has to come out at home when changing bedding, then back in.

I don't think it would be good to leave even a folded canopy lying on the bed while
stored.

While a traditional teardrop looks really cool, I simply cannot see doing all that work for no more
space than is actually available.

I stretched out a Grumman to 14" lg x 6'2" interior height, 80 inch interior width..
It will have to be a foamie.

I am 57 years old and have been camping out of backpacking tents for 37 of those years, I want to be able
to stand up and get dressed/undressed, sit comfortably inside when the thunderstorms comes, cook something
when it is raining without having to lye down and worry about getting the heat too close to the fly vestibule.
Many times, I take a large tarp and set it up pup tent style over the backpacking tent, I don't want to deal with
that anymore either. (did that a lot when canoe camping)

And yes, I might want to slide in a dvd and watch a movie at night.

I want to be able to load my food and ice in the cooler inside the camper, throw a bag in with my clothes I need
for the weekend and go. Everything else will have it's own storage spot and be there when needed and not touched until
then.

A single bed in the front, a collapsible end futon, (legs removed mounted on a platform)
have room for another cot or mattress if needed.

Brushy_Bill
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Vedette » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:57 pm

We have traveled over 34,000 miles with Miss Piggy, and take more than we ever need. But, I always try to be a good Boy Scout!
We do have a "Rule" though.......nothing has ever traveled on the bed in MP. That way we can stop for a nap, or pull into a campground late night, open the door and go to sleep.
And as "traveller" we have done just that on numerous ocassions. :thumbsup:
It is all about proper preperation before we leave the driveway. And I guess you could call us "Experienced Campers" as I have been camping over 55 years , and see Teardrop Camping as "Glamping" :thinking:
The "Cons" on John's list. are "All" pros on any tent camper's list. :wine:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby citylights » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:57 am

Found a new teardrop! Just a bit larger. 17 foot Casita Liberty Deluxe. Very happy with it.

citylights
500 Club

Postby TheOtherSean » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:57 pm

Congratulations. I hope you and your wife enjoy it.
TheOtherSean
The 300 Club

Postby Ned B » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:39 pm

one cool looking ttt! I'll be out your way this summer, i'll drop you a line, maybe the wife & I could come see it in person?
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:09 am

Very nice! The Casita as a very loyal following and they all seem to be quite happy with them.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby citylights » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:08 pm

Ned B wrote:one cool looking ttt! I'll be out your way this summer, i'll drop you a line, maybe the wife & I could come see it in person?

My teardrop is sold and gone, but you are very welcome to stop by and see the Casita. Drop me a message when your plans firm up.
citylights
500 Club

Postby Ned B » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:48 am

citylights wrote:
Ned B wrote:one cool looking ttt! I'll be out your way this summer, i'll drop you a line, maybe the wife & I could come see it in person?

My teardrop is sold and gone, but you are very welcome to stop by and see the Casita. Drop me a message when your plans firm up.

Thanks , will do! The casita is the trailer I'd like to see, My dear wife is claustrophobic & teardrops are a no go for her.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals